Supporting and maintaining si-community, donations and so on

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
luceric

Re: Supporting and maintaining si-community, donations and so on

Post by luceric » 01 Jan 2012, 21:19

XSI-blog.com is using Adsense. I think you give your keywords as hint. You often see Dt tutorials being advertised, I've seen compositing books and other stuff too.
At the end of the day there, if no one is making or paying for ads for Softimage-related products, of course you won't get any. You might get cell phones ads if there is nothing else. You can't change the world, it's not a bug with the algorithm, there has to be ads to run. It's a bit weird to say that an ad for maya stuff would be "a wrong message", most Softimage users also use maya. They also use cell phones and other things. Ads are ads, we're in a niche market with not a lot of of money being spent by advertisers.
Last edited by luceric on 01 Jan 2012, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Jan 2012, 21:21

I see you've found yet another of my older remarks to complain about... :ymparty:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 Jan 2012, 22:54

Damn did I just get trapped replying to something that's months old? Sorry. Btw I have read that bloggers make the most money with affiliate programs. Turbosquid has one. Might not be appropriate for a forum I guess.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 02 Jan 2012, 04:08

I don't know how fund raising is going for this site but I think if advertising for a moderate price was offered to users and others with a direct affiliation with si-community it might be well received. Maybe $20 to $50 / month or something per quarter for a square like you have at the top for advertising jobs, studios, services, addons etc would be good I think. I would be interested as I'm sure others would be. There are a lot of opportunities to "donate" all over the web but without some pressure, few do (including me, even though I should). I think a chance to receive something useful (advertising) in exchange for monetary help might really change the situation.

One other thing that might help is a graphic or numerical meter that shows where we're at and where we need to be in funding. This has worked well for a local listener supported radio station here. If people are aware of the costs and amount of current donations needed rather than just guessing it helps a lot.

Hirazi, I think Luceric was just trying to offer ideas that might help, not pick apart you post. Funding has to be sufficient to keep the site going. Just a matter of figuring out the best way. Since this is an old post perhaps this has already been solved long ago :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Jan 2012, 10:28

ActionArt wrote:Hirazi, I think Luceric was just trying to offer ideas that might help, not pick apart you post.
I understood that. ;)
My reaction just wanted to highlight the fact that my post was from so long ago. And the smiley was intended to make clear, that I didn't mean it THAT seriously (Sometimes I use smilies to try to defuse what even I understand might sound as harsh wording). If this wasn't clear, I'm sorry. I think funding is extremely important, but I didn't want to restart that "old" part of the discussion again (especially not the part about my "companion to Maya" remark...)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!