Beer Ad - Advice Needed

Comments on work in progress
ActionArt

Beer Ad - Advice Needed

Post by ActionArt » 19 Feb 2012, 03:29

I've been working on an ad for a local beer company for their annual competition. Here's a first draft. There's a few things that obviously need work yet such as bubbles in the beer, some foam with the flying liquid and water droplets on the glasses.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to do condensation drops on the mugs? I haven't done it yet so any suggestions welcome.

Let me know what you think so far :)

Daniel Brassard

Re: Beer Ad - Advice Needed

Post by Daniel Brassard » 19 Feb 2012, 05:09

For the condensation, check Caffeine Abuse Blog at
http://caffeineabuse.blogspot.com/2010/ ... g-ice.html
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 19 Feb 2012, 14:47

Thanks Daniel! That's just what I'm looking for.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 19 Feb 2012, 15:43

another solution would be to create a couple of sphere, cut them at half so its hemisphere, modify a bit the shape so they are not all the same, and use milan vasek scatter plugin to scatter them into the glass surface. I think it should work pretty well since his scatter have the ability to control the orientation of the scattered objects.

Max

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 21 Feb 2012, 17:05

Thanks! I'll give both methods a try. Here's some minor updates. Condensation next.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 21 Feb 2012, 17:11

Forgot to turn on depth of field for that one. Will fix later.

I'm using the architectural shader for the beer liquid. Does anyone know how to make it see a different object (or environment) in the reflections and refractions without effecting the rest of the scene. The rayswitch shader doesn't seem to work with the architectural shader (unless I'm doing it wrong). I thought that would be easy but so far not...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 23 Feb 2012, 20:57

A wee update as the Scotts might say. Still working on the lighting a bit. I tried the Advanced Architectural Material with it's rayswitch features but still couldn't get exactly what I wanted so I'll have to re-think the shaders a bit.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 23 Feb 2012, 23:45

I dislike typography, I would use one or two font types, not more. Ones that you used in Big Rock Brewery. Maybe to add fabric on table, similar to background on their logo?
- H -

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 23 Feb 2012, 23:59

yup your glass / liquid is definitely not quite there, is your geometry setup like it advises in the architectural design shader documentation?

also I think the beer 'in the air' would be perhaps a little bit more foamy? :D
Attachments
screen grab from architectural shader manual
screen grab from architectural shader manual
glass_liquid_setup.png (244.65 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 24 Feb 2012, 03:22

You may need to do some work in post.

A sample of the real thing for reference:

http://paolofornaseri.com/wordpress/wp- ... -birra.jpg

Cheers!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 24 Feb 2012, 13:31

Thanks guys!

@SreckoM - yes, the font is not right. I'm waiting to get the real one from Big Rock but they haven't given it to me yet, they gave me just the logo. I'll try the cloth on the table just for fun but most bars here just have wood tables. Might be a nice look though.

@Tekano - Thanks for the very easy to follow diagram. I'll check my numbers. I think the amount of foam in the air would depend on how much was on the beer to begin with and the type of beer. It definitively needs some.

@Daniel - Thanks for the sample. One thing I noticed is that splashes of this nature vary in appearance a lot. Here's one reference I was using: Image

One thing I was hoping to do was light the beer separately from the rest of the scene but this has proved trickier than I thought. The lighting is all by IBL and the materials are all Architectural. I wanted to use a separate IBL just for the beer but not so easy, I need to rayswitch the reflection and transparency but it doesn't seem to give the desired effect, hmmm...

Thanks guys, back at it :)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Feb 2012, 15:28

i always found a pain to work with fluid shapes in xsi, i never had the ability to shape out and render a good looking splash look. I think i have to try realflow but never used it :D
Keep going, i'm following interested! good work

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 24 Feb 2012, 16:11

I used Lagoa to do the splash on this one, it's not too hard to set up. Then after it's close to what I want I freeze the simulation, then select specific points and move them around until I get the effect I want. Works good for stills.

Lagoa is a nice tool for small simulations like this. I find it very difficult to use on larger ones with more particles where it gets SO slow, kind of like playing with molasses. This is probably par for the course for almost any good sim though. I hope someday it gets serious GPU acceleration or something. It would be so cool if it were faster.

I finally achieved lighting closer to what I want - will post later. Have to do some real work now :(

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 24 Feb 2012, 17:27

Most beer advertising shown beer with frothing. The picture above look good however your client will probably mention that the beer look flat. Using lagoa, model a froth splash between the golden blob. Add a few small, white spray here and there to add to the realistic look (it will also re-enforce the knowledge that the beer competitor is lighter).

You may want to render the froth separately and assemble in post to keep the rendering time manageable.

As you know, branding is important in advertising. I suggest you change the Big Rock brewery logo to match their logo, with the rooster on top! They will be looking at that as part of the competition, the more points you get, the better!

Cheers (Slàinte!)
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 24 Feb 2012, 21:41

Great tips, thanks!

Here's a quick test with a plaid tablecloth. Will have to test more.

I'll do the condensation and foam this weekend.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 28 Feb 2012, 17:37

Here's the latest. I really liked that tutorial on condensation, very flexible and looks good I think.

I still haven't got the proper fonts from Big Rock so I'll update that at some point. Other than that, I think it's about done.