Painting with Polygons

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Painting with Polygons

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Aug 2009, 18:43

From Siggraph comes this very neat idea, dubbed "Painting with polygons", to achieve NPR effects...
"Acceptable results can often be achieved using simpler methods and non-proprietary toolsets, even toolsets designed with other effects in mind."

The (or at least some) words can be found here

Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: Painting with Polygons

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 15 Aug 2009, 11:30

Wow, nice video. I once used a similar approach to generate motionblur for static objects.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 22 Aug 2009, 14:04

i love the look of this, i wounder how much extra of a hit at render time having all the animated displacment would be?

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 05 Sep 2009, 16:11

I'm not certain, but I have a funny feeling that Mentalray does not support moblur on animated displacements. :-q

clyder

Post by clyder » 05 Sep 2009, 17:06

CiaranM wrote:I'm not certain, but I have a funny feeling that Mentalray does not support moblur on animated displacements. :-q
Just tried it and it looks like you are right.
I used ICE for deformation. I made a turbulize distort that loops several times each frame but I cant get motion blur to look like on this video. I get blurred pixels where there is a motion and cant get look like on video where it looks like phases from distort motion are just alpha blended with several layers. What I did then is slowed animation 5 times, made the distortion animation to loop every 5th frame, and put rendered images in after effects, time remapped the sequence to go 5 times faster and turned on frame blending. That way I got look like on the video. But problem with doing it like this is that it is impossible to change something later (animation for example). It could be possible done with several render passes with different distort value on each pass and put that together in composite software, but that is also not a very good solution because render time would be lot longer.

Has someone here managed to get something like this in softimage?