Modo 601 Preview

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Re: Modo 601 Preview

Post by Maximus » 01 Mar 2012, 18:32

TwinSnakes007 wrote:
ActionArt wrote:However, I think we've just begun to see the flood of third party development through ICE for SI and I think SI will outstrip all others if it hasn't already.
So glad you said that, I was thinking the same thing. I think the investment in ICE is going to pay huge dividends in the near term for SI.
You still have to render things out :)
And at the moment the weakest thing in Softimage is rendering.
Every year we are at the same weak points and arguments tho :-w
I bet we will have almost 0 news regarding mental ray, another year passed and it will be another ridicolous release regarding rendering.
We still gonna fight with the Framebuffer not updating etc etc.

I am not a VFX guy, but everytime i tried to simulate something with softimage it never once used my full machine cores for some reason. I'd like someone to explain me that.
I have a 990 xtreme processor clocked, 24gb ram, ssd hard disk and a geforce 570. Put for example a lagoa sim in action, my cores % doesnt go above 35% usage and the viewport is slow as hell with 2fps.

Now i wonder whats happening? The same goes with normal ICE too, not only lagoa, just milions particles. Its a bit weird to me whats happening but i never cared that much since again i dont use those things. Still i am curious how people work with such unstable and slow environment. Your viewport is totally unusuable after you pop out milions particles (those things should be handled by gpu in my opinion) but even that you dont have your machine fully used at 100% of its potential.

origin

Post by origin » 01 Mar 2012, 18:52

-nobody works with million particles in view, you lower particle display as much as you can. Just like nobody is skinning imported million poly mesh from zbrush etc
-as far as I know ice is the only fully multithreaded particle system out there.
-if your sims are ALWAYS below 40%, there is something wrong. lagoa/regular trees should eat everything you have (that is 100% cpu utilization almost all the time)...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 01 Mar 2012, 18:59

origin wrote:lagoa/regular trees should eat everything you have (that is 100% cpu utilization almost all the time)...
Really? I've always got 2 threads most of the time (50% on a quad core) on Lagoa. Are you getting more that that? I'd like to know what the difference is. Maybe something to do with what forces are active or something?

@ Maximus - there are a whole lot of other rendering options available now ;)

I do agree that simulation of any sort is painful slow but I think that's pretty much true for any package. Would love to see some sort of improvement in that area though, however it's done.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 01 Mar 2012, 19:11

seems steady over 75% here...

geaven it is just a demo scene and no production example... but still thats how it seems to work here most of the times. It actually gets to 100% many times when sim is way too havy, I guess it must probably stumble on something that is completaly multi-threaded for a good while since there are so many particles
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 01 Mar 2012, 19:15

just to prove the point... here it is hitting the hundreds
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 01 Mar 2012, 19:19

@Actionart, same i always got 2 thread used out of 12.

But again it might be the way multithread works, it uses resources when it needs. I dont know.
Anyway its not my field so i will refrain to comment any further

Regarding the more rendering options, yeah i know but that doesnt sound encouraging especially when you need to renew your subscription and you see 0 benefit from upgrading in a tool you use everyday. Its a matter of preferences.

Guess we should go back to topic, sorry for derailing O:-)

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 01 Mar 2012, 19:38

As wrote, really like Luxology attitude, and in this release they really listen the users request. In major parts, users request, was for motion graphic, CA animation and render pass, all these are practically done. Also they improve paint system, another request from the users.

Here a nice conference did by Brad Peebler, Luxology CEO (he is the voice you ear in the major parts of the video preview):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdlz66Gm ... e=youtu.be
Luxology appear like a big family and the appeal of their software increased by this attitude.

We can buy it for a really cheaper price:
http://www.luxology.com/offers/

Only 800 $ if you just are a Softimage users. Really good price!

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 20:29

Until they give an alternative to the render tree and multiple hierarchical scene graphs, it's a no go for me.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 01 Mar 2012, 20:35

TwinSnakes007 wrote:Until they give an alternative to the render tree and multiple hierarchical scene graphs, it's a no go for me.
After a bit of passion, I can say I like shader tree, prefer Render Tree, sure, but shader tree is not so bad as appear.

In any case, read this:
http://www.luxology.com/modo_601_suppor ... atures.pdf

You find this phrase:
"Added support for drag-and-dropping channel modifiers
from the Shader Tree into the Schematic view."
Practically, the migration from shader tree to schematic view (similar to render tree node system), started in 501, now arrived, and you can control your shader in both, shader tree and schematic view. I wait trial for test and, eventually buy it :)

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 01 Mar 2012, 20:36

And for Tech preview we have pivot move :D I could not find video anymore though ...

Fun aside, honestly with this Modo 601 release and today Houdini 12 release, Autodesk updates looks really really poor. Bar is much higher now. I hope we will benefit from that :D
- H -

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 20:41

Nizar wrote:After a bit of passion, I can say I like shader tree, prefer Render Tree, sure, but shader tree is not so bad as appear.
It's the question of time for me, the shader/render tree is so complex, that you have to digest it before you can understand what its currently doing, and then can only can make the changes you want. What I'm trying to say is, you have to study it before you can change it.
Nizar wrote:I wait trial for test and, eventually buy it :)
As soon as they get that working...I'll seriously consider adding them to the toolset

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 22:23

Mathaeus wrote:my favorite is full body IK. Well if this feature have a half functionality of Maya equivalents, and SI 2013 won't have much more than lattices in animation editor..... don't know what to say. I was enough idiot to hope for something full-body-IK-like from ICE kinematics...
you have confidence with ICE kinematic can use this solution:

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2012, 00:32

Nizar wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:my favorite is full body IK. Well if this feature have a half functionality of Maya equivalents, and SI 2013 won't have much more than lattices in animation editor..... don't know what to say. I was enough idiot to hope for something full-body-IK-like from ICE kinematics...
you have confidence with ICE kinematic can use this solution:
Nice joke :) I think I have about ten of something like this one, I made all them before ICE age. Hardly I can remember the purpose of all that nice controllers, nowadays. Anyway XSI really is a king of 'no dependency cycle' concept from '90s.
Here is a link to Ikinema, integrated in Modo.

We'll need to see how does it really works in Modo, also, what SI has to offer in this round. I'm still Softimage fanboy :)

origin

Post by origin » 03 Mar 2012, 00:47

Mathaeus do you have any videos with practical use of this full body ik?
I saw this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyVBv7k2cw

I'm not animator, but this doesnt make sense, he moves arm and head flips automatically?
ikinema website is spammed with motion-capture rework keyword, is it only for motion capture or what?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2012, 01:44

origin wrote:Mathaeus do you have any videos with practical use of this full body ik?
well, with knowledge of Max and SI, obviously I don't have :) It seems to be related to Maya - Motion Builder world, somehow. But I believe I'll try this Modo solution, definitively.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 Mar 2012, 17:35

Here a list of all the improvement and addition in 601 release:
http://www.sharbor.com/products/LUXN0300042.html
The mere quantity is quite impressive for a single major release...