Boolean operations in SI

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Jasper57

Boolean operations in SI

Post by Jasper57 » 04 Sep 2009, 14:51

For the most part I really like modeling in SI but one area that drives me crazy is the Booleans.
I don't rely heavily on them but they do serve a purpose and used at the right time and under the right circumstances they are pretty damn powerful.
I find that in SI Boolean operations fail for me most of the time even in what seem to me to be fairly straight forward situations.
I am using them correctly as far as the SI documentation goes and I have tried experimenting a bit to see if I can get them to work under a wider set of circumstances but no joy.
When an old copy of LW has no trouble creating a Boolean that SI wont even try I gotta think I'm missing something.
So finally the question is does anyone use them on a regular bases in SI and if you do, is there a method to your madness? Of course the madness I want to hear about is how you get them to work in SI when first SI states they wont.

Thanks!
Peter

dance

Re: Boolean operations in SI

Post by dance » 04 Sep 2009, 19:36

I think it is really good i have used it a lot. The "Generating New Boolean Objects" is what you need to use while modeling but the "Applying Boolean Operations to Existing Objects" is what you need to use if you need to modify a model that has already been textured.

What exactly are you trying to do?

julius

Post by julius » 10 Sep 2009, 22:14

Don't repeat several boolean operations on the same object, and you'll avoid lots of bugs and problems. Boolean are definitely not the best feature of SI.

dance

Post by dance » 11 Sep 2009, 03:04

I have never found a problem using boolean in SI 7.5, even chooping the hell out of the same object seems to work fine...

Jasper57

Post by Jasper57 » 11 Sep 2009, 19:01

Thanks for the input!
My issue is trying repeatedly on a model leaving the old operator in place so that seems to be my problem.
IMPATIENCE! :)
Works much better now.

Leandro Oliveira

Post by Leandro Oliveira » 14 Sep 2009, 16:05

I use boolean operation in low poly, so I can fix easily the vertex´s position result.

Cheers,
------
Leandro Oliveira
www.leandrooliveira.com

Jasper57

Post by Jasper57 » 15 Sep 2009, 17:31

Leandro Oliveira wrote:I use boolean operation in low poly, so I can fix easily the vertex´s position result.

Cheers,
Yup that's a good philosophy.
I only use it on fairly low poly models or simple areas on a more complex model. Any app I've used has problems with crazy polys.
I just forgot that every time I try a Boolean operation....I'm stacking up operators.
That comes from years in an app with no history stack.
Old dogs can learn new tricks....it just takes us a while. ;)

Leandro Oliveira

Post by Leandro Oliveira » 15 Sep 2009, 18:02

Thanks, Jasper.

Here is an exemple of I´ve talked about:

cheers,
------
Leandro Oliveira
www.leandrooliveira.com

luceric

Post by luceric » 15 Sep 2009, 18:35

If you have scenes where Boolean should work (between properly closed objects) but doesn't work correctly, you can send them our ways, so we can check if future version of the app could address this problem.

julius

Post by julius » 18 Sep 2009, 17:07

Hi Luceric,

It would be a pleasure to send scenes when we encounter problems or unexpected bugs at work, in hopes you could fix it, but how can we proceed ? What's the way to go?

Leandro Oliveira

Post by Leandro Oliveira » 18 Sep 2009, 17:34

Luceric,

We can send scenes with other kind of bugs than boolean bugs?
------
Leandro Oliveira
www.leandrooliveira.com

wannabeArtist

Post by wannabeArtist » 20 Dec 2009, 18:25

Hi!

I was about to open a new topic, but I guess it would be more appropriate for me to "rant" here, as I'm having issues with booleans too.

I've been driving myself up the wall with this for the most part of the weekend. It seems that I can get 2 rows of these decorative holes (see pic) in place very nicely, but the third row (which would be the final row) just wont work (see the bottommost pic).

I have:
* frozen everything between each row
* tried separate decals as well as a merged one doing one full row
* tried shifting edges around in the base object to make each row have as similar as possible in the base object

...but I always get the same messed up result if I try to add the third row. Anything I missed here? Better yet, any suggestions how to do this without booleans?

dance

Post by dance » 02 Jan 2010, 10:23

Try deleting the 6 edges that go around the object...press and hold Shift+Alt while selecting the edges with middle mouse button, this will let you select all 6 edges to delete them.

Or Try making more than 6 edges like 50 to 100 but make sure that they are evenly spread out then use the Boolean.

Also use the Create/Polymesh/Boolean not the Modify/Polymesh/Boolean.

If those dont work upload it and ill take a look at it...