Character Key sets not keying.

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Pete

Character Key sets not keying.

Post by Pete » 09 Apr 2012, 06:08

Hi all,

This is an issue that has frustrated me for ages and I've finally cracked it enough to post :))
Does anyone else find that character key sets don't always key everything? Because it happens to me all the time and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
I successfully managed to get support to repro it in 2009 and here we are in 2012 and it's still f**ked.
Sorry just makes it really frustrating to animate and since it looks like they aren't going to fix it Just wondering what other peoples approaches to keying are (If not using the Character Key Sets).

Thanks
Pete

EricTRocks

Re: Character Key sets not keying.

Post by EricTRocks » 09 Apr 2012, 08:52

You can create marking sets instead and use that workflow. Check out the docs for it. I haven't had any issues using Key sets though. Do you have a repro script?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Pete

Post by Pete » 09 Apr 2012, 09:32

Here's a quick script that demonstrates the problem.

Code: Select all

CreatePrim("Sphere", "MeshSurface", null, null);//create object
CreateCharacterKeySet(null, "CharKeySet");//create Key Set
CopyPaste("sphere.sphere.radius", null, "CharKeySet", 3);//Add Radius to Set
SaveKeyOnCharacterKeySet();//Key Set
InspectObj("CharKeySet", null, null);//Check out the radius!! 

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 09 Apr 2012, 10:00

This does not work in 2013. :\ I'll put in a bug report.

==== Edit ====
Actually this isn't a bug. The radius parameter you're trying to key isn't set to be keyable. If you try add another parameter to the keying panel that is also set to non-keyable such as the pivot position x (pposx) it will not key until you set it to using the Keyable Parameters Editor.
Eric Thivierge

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 09 Apr 2012, 10:08

I do think that if a parameter isn't set to keyable it shouldn't get added to the Key Set OR it should be set to keyable then added all in one swoop.
Eric Thivierge

Pete

Post by Pete » 09 Apr 2012, 10:51

Actually this isn't a bug. The radius parameter you're trying to key isn't set to be keyable. If you try add another parameter to the keying panel that is also set to non-keyable such as the pivot position x (pposx) it will not key until you set it to using the Keyable Parameters Editor.
Ahh, that's interesting...
I'll have to see if i can come up with a script that grabs all of your marked parameters and adds them to the "keyable" list.

Thanks!
Pete.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 09 Apr 2012, 11:11

Look for SetCapabilities in the SDK docs.

It was a bit confusing for me at first. Animatable and Keyable aren't the same thing. Keyable means its in the keying panel or can be keyed via the key commands. Animatable allows you to add key frames and fcurce and driving sources.

So you'll need them to be both Animatable and Keyable.
Eric Thivierge

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 09 Apr 2012, 15:00

Pete wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering what other peoples approaches to keying are (If not using the Character Key Sets).

Thanks
Pete
well, never used them :) Before they are introduced, I took a habit to do IK/FK or constraint blend, just across one frame.For example, set key *only* to full FK. One frame later, set full IK, adjusting the local rotation (in AE) in the same time.
This gives a nice transition, as well as visual feedback in the timeline, where switch is.

But this doesn't play nicely with 'set key on everything' concept, provided by character key sets. So, very personal preference was, keyable parameters. Synoptic for complex tasks, for quick setups ( flying cellphones or so), just a careful layout in schematic.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 10 Apr 2012, 02:14

I tend to still use marked parameters, coming from ye olde xsi versions past. Never quite got the key sets workflow down properly. It seems to play with what I want visible in the animation editor. I should make more of an effort to transition over I guess, as set up times with marked params can take a while, but at least I know exactly what is keyed. And it works well with synoptics.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Apr 2012, 02:32

I've had success with key sets before however, they aren't very great in terms of updating and easily working with them through scripting. I'd say test a lot with them before diving in all the way.

I'm using MarkingSets on Species and at work currently
Eric Thivierge

luceric

Post by luceric » 10 Apr 2012, 02:44

character key sets are custom properties just like making sets or proxy parameters, they just happen to have a different icon and related commands. all the commands are written through scripting, in a .js in your XSI installation folder.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Apr 2012, 02:51

Thanks for that Luc-Eric. I'll have to take a look at some of the issues I've had recently. Got to log the bugs / features. :)
Eric Thivierge

Pete

Post by Pete » 13 Apr 2012, 12:24

Hey thanks guys,

The marking sets look kinda interesting, I might have to check them out a little more.
If I get a chance I'll try to put a script together with my limited scripting knowledge.

Strangely though, if you open the character key set's parameter editor then click the key all button in there, it keys them all.

P.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 13 Apr 2012, 12:41

I noticed this as well. However I think that is the difference between animatable and keyable. Keyable being directly linked to the key button and keying panel.
Eric Thivierge