Ugly hair transparency

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
Pancho

Ugly hair transparency

Post by Pancho » 06 Jul 2012, 12:26

I started to build my own fur solution some time ago in Ice. So far, so good. But when I started rendering in mr, I pretty soon began to realize that transparency settings resulted in very ugly artefacts along the Ice strands.

In modo I'm used to get this stuff with transparency, as Modo uses cylinders as hair segments. On their borders they overlap and produce a darker section as the ray needs to pass two volumes at once.

I tried several hair shaders, but being a stranger to mr I can't tell what's wrong. Blobs for strands don't look like a solution to me, as the amount of hair is too much.

Is vray a solution or is there a checkbox somewhere that a ray can't enter two volumes in a row, before it left one? This way intersections shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Thomas

mattmos

Re: Ugly hair transparency

Post by mattmos » 06 Jul 2012, 13:24

Post an image, let us see what you mean!

Just a quick one mention though, I found I could only render the hair transparency correctly in Rasterizer mode.

rray

Re: Ugly hair transparency

Post by rray » 06 Jul 2012, 13:40

I don't know if it's the same kind of artefacts, but the artefacts I had I got rid off by turning hair transparency off, and instead plugging a bit brighter version of the diffuse color into the shadow port (color savestate).
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024