a little witch

Comments on work in progress
Butachan

a little witch

Post by Butachan » 15 Aug 2012, 16:24

Hello everyone!
I wanted to share with you guys this project of mine in hope the dialogue inspire all of us to do geat things :)
Basically my first objective is to do an amazing still shot of a little witch riding her broom. In a style reminiscent to"my neighbor totoro" but without leaving the 3D world and of course with a personal touch into it.
Once this shot is completed I may do a small animation I have in mind.

Right now I feel I don't want to continue giving details to the model until I define the rig. The main issue is because I am not too proficient with the riging tools in Softimage so I feel I will like to create the basic rig before I continue giving details to the model.

Since my first objective is to do a still image I thought to use the CDK biped rig. Which as you see in the image give me a lot of bones to start working with. Now, I am wondering what is the best way to proceed in polishing the results, as pretty much all the junctions (shoulders, knees, elbows) need to be worked on. I have seen some tutorials in which painting weights is heavily used for the rigs. Is it not better to just add bones to control the deformations ( for example under the armpit) I should point that my background include a heavy dose of rigging in lightwave a software where adding bones tend to be the most elegant solution.

Any advice or comment wil be greatly appreciated!

shadow_ex_

Re: a little witch

Post by shadow_ex_ » 16 Aug 2012, 08:16

Very cute character,I like her a lot:)

I would suggest you to finish the model first,and then rig it.
Keep it up!

Butachan

a little witch

Post by Butachan » 04 Oct 2012, 16:43

Hello everyone,
A continuation on my previous post to update my progress on this project.
Basically I completed the texturing and modeling of Lilya, a little witch I hope soon will be able to place in a more interesting environment.
My next step is to create a still frame depicting her world.
lilya
lilya
Now I am wondering what is the most efficient way to accomplish posing her in position, do I need to create a complete rig just to place the character in a pose? It sounds a bit overkill to me. Nonetheless since I have no better idea to accomplish this I will go ahead with the rigging.

Now, I am wondering what is the best way to proceed in polishing the results, as pretty much all the junctions (shoulders, knees, elbows) need to be worked on. I have seen some tutorials in which painting weights is heavily used for the rigs. Is it not better to just add bones to control the deformations ( for example under the armpit) I should point that my background include a heavy dose of rigging in Lightwave a software where adding bones tend to be the most elegant solution.

Any advice or comment wil be greatly appreciated!

Moderator edit: Merged your new topic with the original one - HB

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 04 Oct 2012, 20:21

If you have zbrush you can rig in there for single poses/stills, its very easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmury2eT_io

You can also do some sort of posing in Mudbox but i found that very tricky, otherwise yeah you're stuck with "proper" rigging i'm afraid.
And i'm no expert on that - not at all - but i seems to me that if you want a single pose you would use a simple skeleton and just paint the weights to suit that pose, would seem fastest to me.

Ok just read your first post better: as for detailing you character i'd say go ahead without being to concerned over topology, you can always fix that later. It's model first topology later!

Butachan

Post by Butachan » 21 Oct 2012, 22:18

Hi Guys!
A quick update....

In my strugle to find an efficient solution to rigging in softimage (remember guys I make this project to learn new stuff in general). I found a quite famous solution: Gear. Amazing tool! absolutely fantastic. I mixed the final rig with a half simulated dress. basic the top of the dress is deformed with envelops while the bottom with syflex. I am pretty happy with the result so right now I am working in the accessories for my still shot. However, I will be involved in a professional project for a while so my little witch will have to wait T_T.