MilanVasek wips

Comments on work in progress
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: MilanVasek wips

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Jan 2012, 22:07

I think this thread might help (especially towards the end)
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pixoul

Post by pixoul » 15 Jan 2012, 22:09

Thanks. Ill take a look. :D

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 19 Aug 2012, 18:49

well, after a very long time, i've started doing some 3d at home again. i had this project in my mind for years. actually i started and stopped several times before. but now i feel like i can finally finish it with tools available (ICE and a renderer that can handle instances really well) :)
of course it's just an early WIP that needs a lot of work, but i have my system for generating houses working (randomly combining them from several premade components, nothing special, but i can also decide what components will be used on a specific house,) and a rough idea about composition of the final image
i took a character from one unfinished project of mine and since she is the character from a steampunk anime series (Last Exile), i will make the whole city a little bit steampunk too :) (i hope some pipes, gears etc. will be enough)

Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 19 Aug 2012, 20:16

Looking mighty fine already. :-bd

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 20 Aug 2012, 12:02

Nice!! It's very you. It reminds me of something from a Terry Pratchett novel. You have created all the intricacies of a cityscape very well. Did you use a variation of your scatter tools for this?

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 20 Aug 2012, 14:28

SamHowell wrote:Nice!! It's very you. It reminds me of something from a Terry Pratchett novel. You have created all the intricacies of a cityscape very well. Did you use a variation of your scatter tools for this?
hey Sam!
yeah, i use scatter at nulls, but i'm generating 10 points (instances) at each null position and then controling their shape by 10 different custom parametres on the null (like base floor type, top floor type, roof type, etc) this way most of the city houses are generated randomly and only those that will be somehow important are going to be specific, but still be part of the same pointcloud.
great thing about it is, that my old laptop can handle thousands of highres instances in the scene without any problem
Milan Vasek

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 21 Aug 2012, 12:10

Sounds like a good technique Milan. The results speak for themselves.

You could create some vast cityscapes if you can get your hands on a powerfull machine and an Arnold renderfarm. Maybe your scatter tool could be used for all the people in the city too?

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 22 Aug 2012, 13:16

This is looking fantastic :) rock on!

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 22 Aug 2012, 16:17

shadow_ex_ wrote:This is looking fantastic :) rock on!
SamHowell wrote:Sounds like a good technique Milan. The results speak for themselves.

You could create some vast cityscapes if you can get your hands on a powerfull machine and an Arnold renderfarm. Maybe your scatter tool could be used for all the people in the city too?
yeah, final rendering is not a problem :) i will scatter a lot of people there, thats the plan.
but i need to model them first :-s btw, don't you have some models of victorian era englishmen and women? ;)
Milan Vasek

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 22 Aug 2012, 17:07

milanvasek wrote:yeah, final rendering is not a problem :) i will scatter a lot of people there, thats the plan.
but i need to model them first :-s btw, don't you have some models of victorian era englishmen and women? ;)
I'm afraid not but I'm always available to pose in a bowler hat and big moustache =p~

Could you make custom instances of different body parts for the people? Something similar to your buildings but with a selction of heads, legs, arms etc?

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 22 Aug 2012, 17:18

SamHowell wrote: I'm afraid not but I'm always available to pose in a bowler hat and big moustache =p~

Could you make custom instances of different body parts for the people? Something similar to your buildings but with a selction of heads, legs, arms etc?
cool, at least i will have some reference for modeling :D

well, i was thinking about it and i probably will. not sure if its worth, because characters will be really tiny in the image, so maybe just a man/woman with/without hat + color variation would be enough :)
btw, shame that there is no proper woman model in xsi, that i could just dress up. don't want to spend much time actually modeling people... i wonder what is the limitation of demo of Species. that might be great start for characters...
Milan Vasek

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 01 Sep 2012, 15:09

a little OT. but i'm posting it here for two reasons. the first is that "lowpoly, bad topology" teapot and the second is, that i love this stage of the process (before glazing) when it looks like cg clay render :)

and now back to modeling houses for my skycity project :)
Milan Vasek

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 08 Sep 2012, 22:18

small update.
I did quite a lot of work that is not too visible. Main thing is that I started using standins and modeled low poly proxy objects using only boxes, so that when I instance them and display pointcloud as boxes, I get quite accurate representation of the models and something like 15fps while looking at the whole city. I'm really happy about that :)
Apart from that, I started working on some characters (one of them- a lady in a dress - is in the scene already), landing platforms etc. I'm also spending quite some time getting references and sketching so I can add some cool details later :)

so, here is the viewport:
and here is the latest render:
Milan Vasek

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 16 Sep 2012, 17:12

some WIP of models that will be used in the streets...

and a test of a rope compound done by my friend Luca, who didn't know anything about ICE before he started making it :) it's really cool now, you just select 2 nulls, it makes a rope between them and you can adjust elasticity of the rope (how much will it bend)
Milan Vasek

maze

Post by maze » 18 Sep 2012, 17:58

Just saw this... Really cool Milan! You definitely have an awesome scene mood going on there..

I like the light bloom overexposed, it does give a dreamy feeling to the city... also helps the fact that the houses are floating in the air.. !

Might be cool to also have some floating vegetation and maybe mixing it with the houses.. maybe even some tall but really thin cliffs holding some of the floating houses..

Did you actually draft something before or just went straight to 3D?

http://www.jessevandijk.net/g_10_10.html
here is a concept I saw sometime ago I like the mood and how the houses are in part hold by the trees.. might give some more ideas..

nice work so far!

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 21 Oct 2012, 21:31

thanks for suggestions... i was thinking about the cliffs and you are right. it would be cool. so i will try to add them :)
for me, this 3d scene in its current state is more like a sketch. changing the city completely by moving hundreds of houses takes just few moments, so i can experiment. apart from that, i did only few rough sketches on paper...

here is some progress i did in last couple weekends

today, i tried combining 3 houses into one so i can make more complex structures. i will need some extra components for that but i think it will work well:

here are huge pipes that will be running through the city:

some little sketches:

and a test of different camera view:
Milan Vasek