setting shape instance without the instances material?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Lord Futzi Voldemort

setting shape instance without the instances material?

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 18 Nov 2009, 17:38

Hi, I´m trying to set the shape of my particles to the shape of a polymesh in my scene but render the pointcloud´s material.
So far I´ve had no luck. Is it possible at all? I´m using the Instance Shape node plugged directly in the shape port of an Emit from Position compound. The pointcloud always renders with the material of the instanced geometry. Any idea?

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

owei
Administrator

Re: setting shape instance without the instances material?

Post by owei » 18 Nov 2009, 18:32

Hi Achim..!

Unfortunately that´s not possible, as far as I know. Whereas an instance is just a representation of an object/model with all it´s properties, giving a new material to it is not possible, because the material is a property of your instance-root-object. But perhaps you could provide a group of objects with different materials as your instance source, and use the instance ID for choosing a certain material...just a thought ;)

lg
oli

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 19 Nov 2009, 17:50

It is possible if you are just wanting each particles color to transfer over to the instance objects. plug the attribute>color node into the material of the instance master shape. Now whatever color each particle is set to - each instance gets it
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 19 Nov 2009, 19:19

@Tekano
Wow, that´s cool..! That way you can´t change the material(what the question was...), but via self made parameters, such as scalar transparency for example and using an "attribute scalar" node plugged into the material node, you can manipulate many parameters of the material..I´ve just tried it..works fine ;)

origin

Post by origin » 19 Nov 2009, 20:25

You can also use attribute integer (by IDs) color_multi_switch and mix_8colors to transfer diffrent materials to diffrent particles. Its abit unclean and not-render friendly but works.
Attachments
multimat_ice.jpg
multimat_ice.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 1214 times

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Nov 2009, 22:45

Hi,
thanks for your replies. It´s not exactly what I was looking for, but it´s enough to build a workaround. Thanks again for being helpful.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...