ICE Disco ball

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
NNois

ICE Disco ball

Post by NNois » 02 Dec 2009, 12:13

Hello,
I would like to generate points array on a sphere distributed horizontally in rings equaly spaced along the sphere like a mirror disco ball.

I've done a couple of things in ICE but always based on an emitter, could someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

Mathaeus

Re: ICE Disco ball

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Dec 2009, 22:35

Here you go:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/temp/disco-ball.png
Basically, you first create the first "row", then you multiply it - it's first and second Add Point node.

For making all this usable, you'll need to add something like this one at the end of ICE tree:
http://www.matkovic.com/anto/temp/disco ... nsform.png
so you'll be able to transform it, using another object.

Cheers

NNois

Post by NNois » 02 Dec 2009, 23:01

Whooow ! I am speechless...
I wav in a process in changing my plans but you saved me for animating that thing manually... but wait this is exactly what i want, did you did this for a particular job or kindly to demo it to me ?
Anyway thank you very much for this.
For the story this disco ball is intended to be animated like a vumeter and is the main place of a music video i'm creating for an independant label. I'm cg artist for years and jumped on the train when ICE was released but my skills on develloppement was poor. Because of my experience I know what i have to do thinks right but applying it technically in ICE is another story !

Well let's go for this, i'll tell it here my progress.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Dec 2009, 00:19

NNois wrote:Whooow ! I am speechless...
... but wait this is exactly what i want, did you did this for a particular job or kindly to demo it to me ?
Well I have a *lot* :) of stuff of this kind from my strands works, also I think I have everything that Helge Mathe posted in public. Basically it's modified his compound called 'fill surface 2d' or something.

NNois

Post by NNois » 03 Dec 2009, 01:31

well speaking of that, do you have any problem with helge strandnodes in xsi 2010? for me xsi crash constantly...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Dec 2009, 01:45

Two hard coded nodes from MT_Strands samples, mt_strand_fitting and mt_hair_solver, together with compounds that calls these nodes, doesn't work with Softimage 2010.
Anyway, there are a lot of very useful compounds from these samples, that should work with 2010 too, because they using only factory nodes.