Abobe CS2 Suite for Free

News concerning 3D DCC business
iamVFX

Re: Abobe CS2 Suite for Free

Post by iamVFX » 08 Jan 2013, 18:51

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/01/adobe- ... -for-free/
And asked whether the company would take action against individuals who downloaded the software, CS online product manager Terri Stone posted: “I don’t think you have to worry about Adobe coming after you for this.”
Yesh, we won!

[rimg=400]http://elmaaltshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/19.png[/rimg]

redmotion

Re: Abobe CS2 Suite for Free = NOT

Post by redmotion » 09 Jan 2013, 14:51

The only way you can be using legitimate software from Adobe is to have license key registered UNDER YOUR NAME or BUSINESS at the Adobe website.

Even buying the box 2nd hand doesn't constitute a "licensed copy" (unless it's sealed and unregistered or has been deactivated via Adobe so it can be activated again under your account) and neither does downloading CS2 and using the key provided on their site.

By all means, download but if you install it's not licensed to you and therefore you shouldn't be using it (unless you have a licensed serial registered for CS2)

I think that soon, boxed software and "timeless" licenses will be a thing of the past at Adobe. It seems pretty clear that CS7, if they release it called that, may well be a cloud based subscription-fee only service (I think it still installs on your computer but it won't work without connection to adobe) because they are currently trying to get people to upgrade to the cloud and not to the next "boxed/unlimited" version.

I wonder when Autodesk will do the switch...

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 09 Jan 2013, 17:54

redmotion wrote:The only way you can be using legitimate software from Adobe is to have license key registered UNDER YOUR NAME or BUSINESS at the Adobe website.
That's your viewpoint/opinion on the matter.

This is what Adobe's license agreement (EULA) states for the Creative Suite:
If you obtained the Software and any required serial number(s) from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to install and use the Software in a manner consistent with its design and Documentation...
That's why the software registration is OPTIONAL. I have the right to use the software at the time of obtaining the binaries and serial number(s) from Adobe or its representative. My right to use the software is not predicated on me informing Adobe that I am in possession of said items [product registration].

luceric

Post by luceric » 09 Jan 2013, 19:29

in my opinion, you do not have a "valid license", something which the EULA doesn't really define, unfortunately, but the EULA is list of condition of the license, which you must follow once you've purchased a valid license, and that's not equal to a "serial number" or a "license key". Those are just technical ways to help the user follow the license terms. For example, if you upgrade, you now have two serial numbers, but you can't use the first serial number anymore, you do not have the license to use it. Also, you could have a volume license with one serial number but the license to install it on hundreds of machine instead of one, in which case the user needs to track his license on his own even though the serial number may allow unlimited installs. The type of license you purchased defines that. For individuals, the license is your proof of purchase, i.e. your receipt, the EULA is the conditions attached to it. Registration is indeed unnecessary. ps: I own CS4

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 09 Jan 2013, 21:09

I can see the points that everyone has mentioned here, whether people agree with it or not. The question I have is this...why is Adobe doing it THIS way...was this the only way for them to get the software to all of the already licensed users of CS2, as by pasting it in the open so everyone can see it and letting peoples morals do the decision? That seems a little strange...there must have been other methods as well, maybe an email to their customers to notify them of what is going on and giving them a secure access code to get to this site would have been better...idk? I feel it might be more of an "underground" marketing tactic to get people on board for their cloud services. It is no accident that there happens to be an add for CS6 on the same page, as well as the page still being up to this day with no better methods to how to distribute it...almost as if they did a risk analysis for this. I just don't see how this was an error on Adobe's part. Again, it would be poor business practice to just come out and say to everyone it is Adobe giving it away for free because they want to, as that would have ticked off a lot of people that paid a chunk of money for it...

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 09 Jan 2013, 21:20

luceric wrote:you do not have a "valid license", something which the EULA doesn't really define, unfortunately, but the EULA is list of condition of the license, which you must follow once you've purchased a valid license, and that's not equal to a "serial number" or a "license key".
Dude, if the EULA did not clearly state that the source of obtainment is a condition of the license being conferred, then I would agree with you.

Furthermore, a license is not granted at the point of sale. You have to accept the terms of the EULA first. It is this agreement, implied or real, that grants you right of use.

Lets get to the real question: Did those who obtained the product without purchase, obtain it illegally? The very clear answer is No. They followed a registration process and where provided the binaries and serials by the owner of the product. In accordance with, and acceptance of the EULA, this act conferred a valid license to the recipient.

luceric

Post by luceric » 09 Jan 2013, 21:23

Adobe is either on vacation, or they're now just waiting to see what will happen with this. Because since today you don't even need to register an Adobe ID anymore to download CS2.
Last edited by luceric on 09 Jan 2013, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 09 Jan 2013, 21:45

luceric wrote:Adobe is either on vacation, or they're now just to see what will happen with this. Because since today you don't even need to register an Adobe ID anymore to download CS2.
Actually, since yesterday

So, yeah, that is weird. What's your move, Autodesk? Come on, I want to see the key for Softimage 2010 :D No, jk... Or maybe not...

luceric

Post by luceric » 09 Jan 2013, 23:39

if I ran the show I would have made XSI Foundation 5.11 free!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 10 Jan 2013, 00:55

personally I was glad when we stopped XSI Foundation, but also glad we put Softimage Mod Tool out there. Shame we haven't updated it.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 10 Jan 2013, 10:12

luceric wrote:if I ran the show I would have made XSI Foundation 5.11 free!
Why 5.11? :)

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 10 Jan 2013, 18:18

I still use Foundation 5.11 to this day. I'm so glad it was available at the time when I needed it most, for Star Wars Battlefront 2 asset creation and export! :-bd Although I paid for a license, it wouldn't bother me a bit if it went free. \m/

The discussion of CS2 products being free or not is moot since the links and serials are out in public. Adobe surely knows the consequences of making such things easily accessible to anyone, and the page is still up. The first version of nDo is compatible with PS CS2. :)

KLONOA WORKS

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 02 Mar 2013, 15:53

so it mean I can use it in my works ? is it legal ?

povmaniaco

Post by povmaniaco » 02 Mar 2013, 21:16

Bellsey wrote:personally I was glad when we stopped XSI Foundation, but also glad we put Softimage Mod Tool out there. Shame we haven't updated it.
I take 5 years using Mod Tool for personal learning and, also I lack that is not updated. It is a magnificent tool for the persons that we want to learn Softimage and, not have the economic means to buy a license, and, of course, we do not even want to use versions ' not legal ' :).

I am sorry, my english its very limited.

Rork

Post by Rork » 03 Mar 2013, 13:22

so it mean I can use it in my works ? is it legal ?
Let's say it's in a very gray area..........
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 03 Mar 2013, 21:10

povmaniaco wrote:I take 5 years using Mod Tool for personal learning and, also I lack that is not updated. It is a magnificent tool for the persons that we want to learn Softimage and, not have the economic means to buy a license, and, of course, we do not even want to use versions ' not legal ' :).
You can use student license now. Just fill some stupid forms and get a key (***) for 3 years of non-commercial usage

Moderator edit: removed the image...
The timestamp on this post has changed: my bad - HB