How to create wet fur effect in Softimage ICE tutorial

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material

Tekano

Re: How to create wet fur effect in Softimage ICE tutorial

Post by Tekano » 26 Jan 2013, 23:51

caamaan where are all the softimage ICE folk - are there any left...?? poor nika is spreading wisdom and seeking fame and fortune in the land of ICE and no comments!

but seriously, this is great stuff Nika, am interested, what is motivating you to do these vids? self improvement or trying to coax more folk into ICE? :D

I have some things I'd like to say to improve this effect, not sure how it would work but I find the sudden clump change from dry to wet a bit alarming and wonder if there is a way for it to be more gradual.

another idea would be great to try out is a bend a strand at the point of impact from a particle.

thanks for posting, also slight crit its a bit long at 1 hour which might put some of the younger kids off 8-| , maybe for any more you do can 2x speed some sections where you are not talking. but you still get a good idea of how to do this effect , since you have explained it very well.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

nikaragua86

Post by nikaragua86 » 27 Jan 2013, 02:55

ahahaa man you are prophet - i just asked Rob Champman about "where are everyone?"
just before half an hour or something.
and he gave me an "join softimage mailing list" quest ))
and yeah i miss comments a little bit ))) motivation motivation...you know both self emprovement and propagand, also - ICE is the future
its pretty obvious to me and i really really LOVE IT, something like a THAT ONE woman.You know i messed with Python loooong before it
became popular and i was absolutely sure that this language would become SOMETHING. Same thing with ICE.It would be implemented everywhere
and my lessons would become classical :)) just kidding. the truth is that sharing your knowledge with others is a great pleasure and i have nothing
else to share with you guys, this is the best i can.its great fun, so i urge everybody not to dig their skills and knowledge into the grave but to
sow the seeds to the others minds. :)) he he he i`m in lyrical mood.

about the effect - you are right and if you want to get it more gradual - you can play with array values emm....maybe add values over time

to bend the strand at the point of impact - actually something like this is happening - particles are acting like a sort of force field.
the much more interesting here could be - if strand is touched by particle it would become "sticky" and will stick to the closest strands.
THAT effect would be UBER!!! but everything must be in steps - you can`t put internet on a diskette....but maybe with some fractal algorythm...hmmm

about the length - ai ai sir !!! would be done. i will speed up obvious moments.
and thank you very very much ^_^

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 27 Jan 2013, 14:16

Nika my good fellow, I will let you into a little secret... tekano = Rob Chapman , so you could say I had a little insider info.

I for one, love the style and pace of your videos and would not take lack of responses as an indication of their worth. SI & ICE users, well we have had a beating over the years, but these kind of things in your videos are gold dust for someone who has the idea of using ICE to do something that is not 1 button press effect and spreads the knowledge that almost anything can be broken down into smaller steps and made with simple maths and logic in an ice tree.

Pooby started the recent trend I believe with his unique style but even when ICE began it was Si devs folks like Phil Taylor, Helge Mathee and super users like Brad Gabe that made videos that helped beginners to pick up the reigns and start seeing the wonder and potential of how to use ICE. So yes I too have the similar disease as you that iCE is the 'next big thing' and want to promote it , and their is a pleasure from sharing the wealth of information that has invaded my brain over the years :)

So Nika I salute you! :-bd keep up the interesting videos, I will keep watching them and will inspire me to make more too

best

Rob 'tekano' Chapman
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

druitre

Post by druitre » 27 Jan 2013, 18:36

Hey Nika, whenever I have the time & energy I plough through the ICE-stuff I can find on Vimeo (Pooby's stuff got me started on it). I tend to not understand most of it, something in my brain just doesn't flow with ICE. I have no idea what but it is taking me an unusual amount of effort to learn it. But, with every tut I follow some stuff sticks and over time I feel I'm getting a little bit better. And everything I learn tends to come back, mostly in completely unexpected places, and at unexpected moments. It just takes .... time .... :-l

So, what I just want to say: it may take months before a tutorial I've followed starts to make sense to me, so that's why I don't often comment on posted tutorials like yours. But I do follow them and I do appreciate what you're doing. Please keep it up!!

nikaragua86

Post by nikaragua86 » 27 Jan 2013, 23:30

ahahaha Rob you are ninja :ymalien: )))

nikaragua86

Post by nikaragua86 » 27 Jan 2013, 23:44

druitre the most difficult stuff for me was the "context" thing - i just could`t get why it is not connecting and what is this
context ))))as soon as you get the solid understanding of it you will understand ICE. you can see here about it
http://xsisupport.com/top-10-for-learning-ice/

nikaragua86

Post by nikaragua86 » 27 Jan 2013, 23:50

emmm Pooby is Paul Smith ?

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 28 Jan 2013, 00:06

That's me!

talent103

Post by talent103 » 28 Jan 2013, 01:13

VERY NICE THANKS!!

nikaragua86

Post by nikaragua86 » 28 Jan 2013, 10:06

Nice to meet you sensei )))

Helli

Post by Helli » 28 Jan 2013, 12:26

Cause I just saw this thread I thought I add a sample scene (it uses Melena nodes).

It will show you a way to build a force for a wet hair effect. Strands will clump together through a simple vector force between neighboring strands.
The only problem with this example is: its slow cause of using neighboring particle calculation. So if you want to use it on a dense hair styling I would recommend to use less strands as guides for the actually styling and drive the hair styling with the simulated guides.
Another way to speed things up would be to calculate the neighboring strands for the force on hair creation and use this static value in the simulation.

Heres the sample video:
http://screencast.com/t/2iFmqlPT

And heres the scene file:
www.marioreitbauer.com/toShow/wetHair_v001.scn