circular selection tool?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
wannabeArtist

circular selection tool?

Post by wannabeArtist » 22 Dec 2009, 20:52

Hello,

Is there a way to select points, edges or polys "radially" in XSI?
I know there's the lasso tool, but is there a way to use a circle or any kind of curve as a basis of selection?

I have a ring-shaped object with lots of detail on it already. I decided I'd like to make it less thick, but it seems a bit tricky with my (poor) selection skills.
If it were a box, I'd just rectangle select the inner walls from top view and push them outwards, but of course it's circular, so that wont quite work.

I also tried the cage deformer and it did make my object thinner - but it will do that and twist it, which is not really my goal.

Thanks!

grahamef

Re: circular selection tool?

Post by grahamef » 23 Dec 2009, 18:02

You can try the Paint Selection tool. Be aware that to deselect components, you need to right-click on them.

wannabeArtist

Post by wannabeArtist » 24 Dec 2009, 09:10

Thanks,

I did try it and it might do the trick, once I get the hang of using the paint selection.

It seems though that you can only paint in a "perpendicular fashion", meaning that I can not just make the brush large enough to reach inside my ring-shaped object, click once in the center and expect to have the inner most points or polys selected?

For this, the best too would be a circular selection tool, like in Photoshop. I could also just go back a few steps and make my object thinner to begin with, but I wanted to know if there is a better/faster way - in some future project I might not have the luxury of starting over anyway :)

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 24 Dec 2009, 15:23

wannabeArtist wrote: It seems though that you can only paint in a "perpendicular fashion", meaning that I can not just make the brush large enough to reach inside my ring-shaped object, click once in the center and expect to have the inner most points or polys selected?
Try adjusting Coverage in the Brush properties (Ctrl+W).

Edit to add: Full 180 degree coverage should let you select points whose normals are perpendicular to the brush.

dance

Post by dance » 02 Jan 2010, 10:09

For a larger coverage area just hold down mouse scroller button and move the mouse and it will increase and decrease... You can also click on the Sym button to have it paint on both sides.