Some news from Siggraph

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Re: Some news from Siggraph

Post by Maximus » 25 Jul 2013, 12:15

Nizar wrote:Bellsey, did you read anywhere the word "softimage"?

can we assume is the some for softimage? Why not one, from SI team said nothing about?
Because they are killing the product and they obviously dont say anything so they can squeeze everyone money till last release that probably gonna be the 2015 one.
Its easy to understand. Also if you want some news about Softimage you need to go here:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marks

oh wait...last post "6 October 2012".
sorry my bad.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 25 Jul 2013, 12:22

Nizar wrote:Bellsey, did you read anywhere the word "softimage"?

can we assume is the some for softimage? Why not one, from SI team said nothing about?
Yes I know, but the original context was around Max, and a post made on a Max site. And Frank is known to the user community.

I can't comment on any lack of Softimage information, but I posted Franks message just to add some additional info for people.

keeper

Post by keeper » 25 Jul 2013, 13:26

About the dead speak either good or nothing.

brudney

Post by brudney » 25 Jul 2013, 15:14

Maximus wrote:
Because they are killing the product and they obviously dont say anything so they can squeeze everyone money till last release that probably gonna be the 2015 one.
It's funny how almost every news somehow gets derailed into 'the death of SI' discussion ;)

OK, so here's my take :p

Honestly, killing it just like that wouldn't make any sense. As long as it generates some revenue, AD is gonna keep it alive. They seem to invest almost no money into SI's development, there's no marketing involved whatsoever and the only cost there is is the cost of team in Singapore [which is a couple of guys doing maintenance and bugfixes plus some minor features (or rather addons) in spare time].
I may be totally wrong but because the devs and AD aren't very talkative that's the impression I get. So imho SI will be kept alive prolly for a very long time with no significant improvements at all and the moment it starts generating loss will get terminated and bundled as 'SI ICE' with Maya/Max Suites (Matchmover and Toxic anyone?).

Falam

Post by Falam » 25 Jul 2013, 16:16

The truth is no one really knows. I'm sure hints on what direction the software is taking will reveal its self more and more as time goes on.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 25 Jul 2013, 16:27

brudney wrote:
Maximus wrote:
It's funny how almost every news somehow gets derailed into 'the death of SI' discussion ;)

OK, so here's my take :p

Honestly, killing it just like that wouldn't make any sense. As long as it generates some revenue, AD is gonna keep it alive. They seem to invest almost no money into SI's development, there's no marketing involved whatsoever and the only cost there is is the cost of team in Singapore [which is a couple of guys doing maintenance and bugfixes plus some minor features (or rather addons) in spare time].
I may be totally wrong but because the devs and AD aren't very talkative that's the impression I get. So imho SI will be kept alive prolly for a very long time with no significant improvements at all and the moment it starts generating loss will get terminated and bundled as 'SI ICE' with Maya/Max Suites (Matchmover and Toxic anyone?).

Your definition of "keeping it alive" by AD standards = killing it.
Because if you dont develop anything you cant be at par with the modern CGI 3d standards. So yeah, they decided to kill it, stop developing, mantaining alive with bugfix, call it whatever you like, its the same thing. And its not derailin to death of SI, its under everyone nose, its people just refuse to pay attention.

keeper

Post by keeper » 25 Jul 2013, 16:32

Autodesk must add to Softimage page, how many time was left to full Softimage killing.

vrMan

Post by vrMan » 25 Jul 2013, 16:52

I really miss Naiad , i know haven`t any feature in next. Autodesk will kill that too. i promise you that the only change in Naiad is name (BIFROST !!!) .
i think naiad in XSI will be better than other packages because have ICE . for now Flip in Houdini is better.
hope some day Naiad release as a stand alone software again . then everyone with every package can use that.

brudney

Post by brudney » 26 Jul 2013, 00:31

There's a very interesting post I found (by Luc-Eric@ http://www.mail-archive.com/softimage@l ... 14036.html)
Autodesk is doing the right thing in that context. What they have done with
Naiad is add expertise about scalable, distributed, out-of-core simulation
that's also platform agnostic, which ICE is not. ICE is a module built deep
into XSI that does threaded operations on block of data that reside in XSI's
RAM and that's it. At the user group, they did a tech preview of something
called Bifrost with its GUI running in Maya, which is the standard linux studio
platform, and that's a totally a reasonable thing to do given also its
extensive SDK.

Things might make more sense if you understand that Naiad was not just a fluid
solver, it was meant to be a complete simulation framework, like Houdini. It's
not something you plug into ICE, it's an alternative to it.

vrMan

Post by vrMan » 26 Jul 2013, 09:07

brudney wrote:There's a very interesting post I found (by Luc-Eric@ http://www.mail-archive.com/softimage@l ... 14036.html)
Autodesk is doing the right thing in that context. What they have done with
Naiad is add expertise about scalable, distributed, out-of-core simulation
that's also platform agnostic, which ICE is not. ICE is a module built deep
into XSI that does threaded operations on block of data that reside in XSI's
RAM and that's it. At the user group, they did a tech preview of something
called Bifrost with its GUI running in Maya, which is the standard linux studio
platform, and that's a totally a reasonable thing to do given also its
extensive SDK.

Things might make more sense if you understand that Naiad was not just a fluid
solver, it was meant to be a complete simulation framework, like Houdini. It's
not something you plug into ICE, it's an alternative to it.
They develop nothing for Maya ... only buy a plugin or a software then plug that into Maya , naiad was a node based software , how can u control that inside maya ? graph editor ? it was nice if they add that inside xsi , syflex haven't fully support for ice but its nice to work that inside ice with node graph.

Helli

Post by Helli » 26 Jul 2013, 09:27

Cause u mentioned syflex.

For me thats the worst example of integrating something into ice.
If you can't even read a weightmap from your object to drive a syflex paramter why would you add it then into ice in the first place. Just for the sake of having nodes in an ice tree instead of an operator ?

vrMan

Post by vrMan » 26 Jul 2013, 09:36

Helli wrote:Cause u mentioned syflex.

For me thats the worst example of integrating something into ice.
If you can't even read a weightmap from your object to drive a syflex paramter why would you add it then into ice in the first place. Just for the sake of having nodes in an ice tree instead of an operator ?
as i said before , naiad is a node based software so its need a graph editor , graph editor in Maya is too messy , not user friendly as ICE , if they import all Naiad nodes inside ice i don`t need any other nodes in ice . i need a good UI for create Naiad graph.

keeper

Post by keeper » 26 Jul 2013, 10:55

So Naiad will be integrated in the next version of Maya?

brudney

Post by brudney » 26 Jul 2013, 12:24

vrMan wrote:
as i said before , naiad is a node based software so its need a graph editor , graph editor in Maya is too messy , not user friendly as ICE , if they import all Naiad nodes inside ice i don`t need any other nodes in ice . i need a good UI for create Naiad graph.
Have you seen Maya's Node Editor? It's pretty nice to work with already. Not as elegant as ICE yet, but definitely more than usable. I would imagine it getting better and better, especially since ex-xsi devs are on maya team now.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 26 Jul 2013, 17:42

Bellsey wrote:I'm not at Siggraph and so didn't attend the meeting, though I think I have an idea of what was probably shown.

The Max guys on the forum link are venting alot, but there's alot of adding two and two together and making five.

I'm saying nothing more, though if anyone wants to pvt me, then feel free.

I have been busy and haven't posted here for some time but you are so consistent.

Bellsey I'm sure you are aware of the "if you don't have anything nice to say" idea but some how you have made me aware of it's inverse truism. Your cheer leading AD and damage controlling any spot where negative AD actions appear is just as off putting as "if you don't have anything nice to say"...

There is no bright side to this for any AD package other then Maya. I don't need to PM you to see that ~o)

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 26 Jul 2013, 18:38

actually I wasn't cheerleading or damage controlling. People don't like us whatever we do, so it really doesn't matter if we say anything or not. :)

I had nothing to say on the subject so I didn't. But I didn't want people to feel the door was closed, so I left it open in case anyone did have any questions and some people did contact me. And I've always said people are free to contact me, if they wish to.