"Fixing" reference images automagically?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

"Fixing" reference images automagically?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Mar 2010, 09:28

Inspired by shushens' "Human Head Experiment" I decided I give "human head" modeling a try once more. Now I am being confronted with my least favorite step in the process, aligning a front and side view reference image to form a "perfect fit".
A (long) while back I found a tutorial on CG Arena called "Fixing Reference Images", but, as I am not a 2D image wizard (either :)) ) I was wondering if there isn't some nice and easy way to somehow automate the process of aligning those images? Something like: "you set the 'landmarks', we'll finish the job" ~x( ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

craft

Re: "Fixing" reference images automagically?

Post by craft » 11 Mar 2010, 19:30

:) here's how i would do it in 3 minutes:

1) pick a front and side view image, trace a perfectly horizontal line on both that runs across the outside corner of the eye to check if both pictures are vertically aligned. if so, the line should pass at the same distance from the top of the ear (or some other good reference point) on both pictures.
2) put both your pictures on xsi with the rotoscope feature. center align the front image with the y axis.
3) make a cube and match its dimensions to the bounding box of the head in the front image.
4) match the side image to the cube. delete the cube.
5) make lord of the rings or star wars and get rich, like that guy using maya on youtube.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Mar 2010, 19:38

So no "one click" solution... X( :(( ;)
Thanks! :-bd
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

craft

Post by craft » 12 Mar 2010, 00:10

hehehe welll i can't promisse you i'll succeed but i'm working on a script for you so you can do the whole thing as easy as 6 clicks on the viewport. x)