Javascript book recommendations?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Javascript book recommendations?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Aug 2013, 12:45

As I have gotten fascinated by the whole HTML5/CSS3/Javascript developments and have bought myself a book about HTML5/CSS3 recently, I am now looking for one good (hard-copy) book about Javascript, that could function both as a good introductory option, while still remaining valuable should I reach a more advanced level. I currently don't have the funds (when do I ever?) to buy more than one book, so I was wondering if any of you had some good suggestion at the ready? Thanks in advance, obviously.
:ymdaydream:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

FabricPaul

Re: Javascript book recommendations?

Post by FabricPaul » 11 Sep 2013, 17:37

When we were pushing on browser tech, everyone rated this book: http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Good-P ... good+parts

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Sep 2013, 17:42

Yes, that does indeed look very promising. Thanks... :-bd

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 11 Sep 2013, 18:17

It's a good book but not an introductory book, it's a bit thin for an introduction to JavaScript. Its also a bit dated, does not cover newer HTML5 scripting. The book does teach you the good part of JavaScript and the not so good parts to avoid if you can.

have you tried this site? It's free!

http://www.w3schools.com/js/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Sep 2013, 22:05

Hmm, now I am confused, as what you say makes sense too (and I know "nothing" in this respect).
Sadly, websites aren't really all that helpful as I'd need a book of the "dead tree variety" or an ebook to be able to do some "mobile reading" and sadly I never got the hang of HTTrack...
;)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 11 Sep 2013, 22:32

Here to illustrate a comparison between JavaScript the definitive guide and the Good parts. Different perspective.

What is your knowledge of JavaScript (newbee, basic, advance, expert, god)?
What will the book be for you (a reference book, a tutorial or both)?

Many of those books have e-version at less cost as well, so what are you comfortable with?
Attachments
JavaScript_Books.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Sep 2013, 22:40

The "definitive guide" looks better suited to my needs. As to my level: absolute NOOB in Javascript with over 30 years of on and off programming experience in various languages. Just to illustrate the conundrum: a book doesn't necessarily have to "hold my hand" at every step of the way, but its extremely hard to pinpoint where it should and where it shouldn't...
;)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 11 Sep 2013, 22:57

The definitive guide 6th edition covers a lot, including HTML5. Amazon sell it for US 29.99 and for kindle at US 25.10.

They also have a deal for the definitive guide, the good parts and javascript patterns for approx US 68. worth looking at if you can afford it.

Good luck!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Yanik

Post by Yanik » 12 Sep 2013, 15:19

What about a video training?

Pluralsight for example has excellent training for javascript, jQuery, HTML5 & CSS3. The video's clearly explain everything in a hands-on matter which makes it easy to remember. Javascript is really easy to learn, but I have to warn you it's not just javascript you need to grasp. You have to know how HTTP requests & the DOM work. You'll only get that experience by getting your hands dirty.
The only downside is you need a subscription, but it's not very expensive. You can get a free trial to check their quality. I'm sure lynda.com also has some html5 and javascript tutorials. Some free course sites like Udacity may also give some webrelated courses, but I don't think they have anything specific for javascript.

Javascript nowadays is really powerful and very speedy. It's used with WebGL and also can be used server sided. There are a lot of frameworks you can use on the front-end like BackboneJS, jQuery and great server sided frameworks like Node.js & Express where you can build high performance web applications. There's also Meteor which will revolutionize how websites work. With Meteor you can build real-time webapplications which will automatically redraw parts of the DOM when you manipulate data. Not just on your end but on everyone's end where they have the same page open. It's easy to build collaborative webapplications with it.

The top-down programming habbit you've learned with Python is not recommended with Javascript. Javascript does many things asynchronously and you'll have to work a lot with callbacks instead. It may be hard to grasp at first if you're coming from Python.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Sep 2013, 21:28

Looks promising, for sure, but I had my mind set on a book (or alternatively an ebook I can load into my e-reader). Are these tutorials downloadable (for a fee, obviously) or only viewable "on site"? If they are downloadable my tablet might be an option. If there only online, the lack of worldwide Wifi would make them unsuitable for me, as my tablet depends on a Wifi connection...

As to Meteor: very interesting, indeed, although I am starting to suspect Javascript will pretty soon cave in upon itself for all the promising new stuff introduced every week (or so it would seem).
;)

Yanik

Post by Yanik » 12 Sep 2013, 23:45

Hirazi Blue wrote:Looks promising, for sure, but I had my mind set on a book (or alternatively an ebook I can load into my e-reader). Are these tutorials downloadable (for a fee, obviously) or only viewable "on site"? If they are downloadable my tablet might be an option. If there only online, the lack of worldwide Wifi would make them unsuitable for me, as my tablet depends on a Wifi connection...

As to Meteor: very interesting, indeed, although I am starting to suspect Javascript will pretty soon cave in upon itself for all the promising new stuff introduced every week (or so it would seem).
;)
Offline viewing is a more expensive (49$ a month instead of 29$) so maybe a book will suit you better. I find that most books lack hands-on experience. A book will teach you what to do, but not really what you mustn't do. E.g. if you watch pooby's video tutorials you occasionally see him making small mistakes, but also see him correct(how and why) those mistakes. Of course the best way to learn is by getting your hands dirty. If you read it while you're in the train/bus a chunk of the information will only utilize your short term memory.
There are also good free books/resources. For example:
Sams Teach Yourself JavaScript in 24 Hours or jQuery fundamentals.

Meteor got some 8 figure fundings last year. It will be developed and maintained for a long while. But for a beginner who doesn't know anything about javascript I don't recommend looking at it till you know how to work with the DOM and how the web works.

I believe javascript will grow immensely in popularity the coming years. I don't think it will cave in. jQuery, Node.js and all other large frameworks are still being actively developed even though they exist for years.