Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of customers

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey

Re: Autodesk: 30% revenues come from 1% of customers

Post by Bellsey » 29 Sep 2013, 22:09

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Are we really discussing the most unimportant two words from this statement?
I'm sure you're just itching to to enlighten us. :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Sep 2013, 10:19

Yeah, I know.
It's extremely frustrating for someone to make a seemingly meaningful but ultimately vague remark like that.
:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 30 Sep 2013, 19:56

It wasn't a vague remark, it was a question.

I'm just saying the instant gratifikation thing is not the topic of the statement but the future of ADSK. And with so many people asking just for that information I'm wondering why we discuss minor details, when someone delivers just that.

I mean basically he said: "It's hard to make apps , harder than what we made until now, and we do not make money with it, but despite all difficulties we put all our efforts in it."

We should think about what that means. Has anyone ever experienced such a dedication for SI maya or max recently? I think ADSK is shifting it's weight, and not halfhearted but completely. Towards moblie apps is only the half of it. Away from desktop applications is logically the other half.

And before luceric kicks in: no I'm still not saying they will abandon M&E. But attention to this branch will fade.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 Oct 2013, 04:14

If you are to believe the reporter, carl bass is saying in the article that the "reason" why they are going into consumer apps is to learn new things for the entreprise apps. but the real reason is that wall street demands a mobile/web/touch story from corporations, and autodesk cannot move most of its "entreprise" apps to mobile (and the 1$ app market) so they are looking at creating new apps/new markets instead. WordPerfect died trying to port its old word processor to Java for the web browser, and corel tried the same thing, it's not the way to go. microsoft doesn't quite know what to do either, and Adobe is doing some weird things with mixed results.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 02 Oct 2013, 00:22

The Graal of infinite growth or is just the "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change."

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 13:37

luceric wrote:If you are to believe the reporter, carl bass is saying in the article that the "reason" why they are going into consumer apps is to learn new things for the entreprise apps. but the real reason is that wall street demands a mobile/web/touch story from corporations, and autodesk cannot move most of its "entreprise" apps to mobile (and the 1$ app market) so they are looking at creating new apps/new markets instead. WordPerfect died trying to port its old word processor to Java for the web browser, and corel tried the same thing, it's not the way to go. microsoft doesn't quite know what to do either, and Adobe is doing some weird things with mixed results.
Absolutely. But this step, if you can call it that, is going on for some time now, and articles from 2012 suggest, that it was planned at least 2 years ago. You see all the things here that we miss, done for mobile and engineering: innovation, new tools, new tech, all in-house. I think Maya LT is an attempt to attach Maya to this new market, because for the obvious reasons. That attempt may fail as well.

luceric

Post by luceric » 04 Oct 2013, 15:28

Maya LT doesnt run on mobile or the cloud. m&e does other things like 123 Catch, 360 Character Generator, sketchbook for IOS and android, and other upcoming products and sevices.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 15:39

luceric wrote:Maya LT doesnt run on mobile or the cloud. m&e does other things like 123 Catch, 360 Character Generator, sketchbook for IOS and android, and other upcoming products and sevices.
I know. All these apps are made to generate customers for ADSK's cloud services. That's why they don't need to make money - the services will. They are not meant to provide sophisticated tools for artists.
"Attach to the market" in this context means creating a connection between the users of the new mobile apps and maya. Because the targeted mobile gaming developers are potential customers for cloud-services too. And hey, if you strip a software from essential functions, maybe you can sell those online too... ;)