No more upgrades (from 2015 onwards)!!!

News concerning 3D DCC business
Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: No more upgrades (from 2015 onwards)!!!

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 13:43

angus_davidson wrote:This being a purely personal viewpoint. I will pay to own software, but I will never personally pay money to a company for the rental of their software. I would rather have to pay a steeper fee to upgrade / buy new every now and again then fork over a monthly rental.
Exactly my point of view. I'm willing to pay more for a good upgrade every year than for a subscription instead of renting the software as it is with no obligation for the publisher to deliver any specific standard. It is clear, that revenues will not rise with only subs and rental, not to mention make a decent development more likely. I think AD isn't expecting anything from this sector themselves, they only try to cut costs wherever possible.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 15:44

Oh, and I forgot: Is 2015 the version or the year? ;)

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 Oct 2013, 15:49

or is all a big marketing plan and releases after 2015 will have big improvement?

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 16:10

Nizar wrote:or is all a big marketing plan and releases after 2015 will have big improvement?
Yes.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Oct 2013, 18:44

Well, I contacted my reseller and I got a great deal for the cross-grade. I even got no impact on my subscription (which I just renewed) until my next renewal which, at that time, will be increased to $1345 (from $850 as anticipated).

So yeah! I may take the plunge!

Welcome to the Dark Side (heavy breathing)!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Oct 2013, 19:39

The plunge, Daniel that is the Suite, correct ? Have you used Maya in the past ?

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Oct 2013, 19:55

The plunge, Daniel that is the Suite, correct ? Have you used Maya in the past ?
They are old friends: Max since DOS R4 and Maya since v6. I can maxscript and MEL as well. I am also a Mudbox power user since v1.

I am a bit rusty but it will come back fast. I have also all those assets that were in my filing cabinets collecting dust that I will be able to convert and reuse.

My small studio may be Softimage based but to get jobs, its getting harder. With this move, I increase my chances significantly for contracts. I can also hire students for coop jobs more easily as well as most of them are Maya trained (less overhead for my studio, less time for training, more on doing).

Pure economic, it is business after all. This "investment" will pay itself on the next job.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Oct 2013, 20:08

I see your point of view, logical :) I was informed a long time ago to take the plunge from a studio owner, who was a nice guy, had the studio not closed, I may have worked for him he wanted me to keep in touch when I had the right material together, ah well, there are others :)