If I was ADSK and have $100 to spend for SI

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Falam

Re: If I was ADSK and have $100 to spend for SI

Post by Falam » 03 Oct 2013, 23:15

Bellsey is right, it depends on what is the best future direction to take.

What are the stats for Softimage Subscriptions, Maya Subscriptions and Max Subscriptions ?

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 04 Oct 2013, 16:22

Since ADSK had those $100 and didn't spend them at all, I'd say they just don't want to. It would be relatively easy to raise sales by just presenting SI differently. But they didn't. I was thinking before, AD's marketing was just incompetent, but today I think it is all by decision. They want it this way and no discussion here will change anything. The best chance to get SI somewhere is to collect money and try to buy it.

I know I've always been cassandra in this matter, but I wasn't so wrong when I wrote this in 2012:

"It´s obvious where Autodesk is going. They never made a big profit in the M&E sector, so selling 3d Apps is not the future - selling Services is.
The whole cloud thing has only one purpose: to make people pay on a regular basis for services of all kind. It´s like cellphones - you buy the service and get the phone for free. It already has started with 123d.
You´ll find yourself in a near future paying on a monthly basis for the use of autodesktools of all kinds, I predict they will even try to get their share of the profit you make with their tools per project."
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Falam

Post by Falam » 04 Oct 2013, 16:24

To the poster above, you are right. With that in mind, pick a program, and run with it. :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Oct 2013, 23:36

I like the initial list in a perfect world. But i am with Mr.Core overall.

Rig, and a lot of horrible defaults in SI... imho there is a philosophy of SI or Maya people, both developers and important users, that work on all these "small things" does not belong to developers. Even for price of total disasters when something actually is not "small thing" like well known "it's all about shaders". Maya seems to be champion in that "arbitrarily half done" approach, but SI is not far behind.

Long story short, if you want the mentioned level of quality, stay away of anything that's even close to philosophy of SI or Maya creators. They just can't do that.
Thanks for this, the biggest bottleneck when i started in Softimage. I sometimes think it is a conspiracy of TD Mafia :D Hehehe i'll be hated after that in certain circles...