Mechman Build-up Animation

Comments on work in progress
Leo

Mechman Build-up Animation

Post by Leo » 07 Jun 2009, 23:18

So as far as I can see I have the fortune of posting the first wip-Thread here =)
Here we go:
The final product will be an animation that starts out with a spinal cord and a head attached to it. From there (the collar) the strands will grow towards the hands and the waist starting a sorta mechanical unfoldinganimation at the respective parts.
From the waist on new strands will proceed towards the feet and start a similar animation there.
Maybe I'll do spinelike bones in the middle of the strands but that remains to be seen.
Once the animation is complete I'll have a complete cyborg/humanoid and I will do some simple animations with it.

Note that this project is still in a very early stage, but hey this way you'll see the full process.

To do list:
Modeling:
-Modeling for hands, waist, feet and possibly knees.
-Highleveldetail for the Head and Hands (ZBrush).
-Some sort of environment but that is not my concern at the moment.
-Collar and Spine are currently only very roughed out and still need quite some refinement.

Animation:
-Unfold-Animation for hands, waist, feet and possibly knees.
-Awakening animation and simple walkcycle

Simulation:
-Simulation of the steam clouds appearing while the different body parts take shape.
-Strandsimulation for the legs (allthough that shouldn't be too hard of a task since it is almost identical with the chest-/armpiece).
-Maybe finding a way of making the Strandmotion appear more growing-rank-like. Already got it down so that the different strandpositions move accordingly to it's particle but I'm having difficulties making the particles move like ranks.

Shading and Texturing:
-Currently not concerned with that although I'll definitely do it

Allright so that's it for now if you have any suggestions or ideas I'll be glad to listen and revise.

A big thanks to Helge Mathee for his great mtstrands-addon which makes this actually possible.
Attachments
machinemen_wip_3_070609.jpg
machinemen_wip_3_070609.jpg (226.66 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
machinemen_wip_2_070609.jpg
machinemen_wip_2_070609.jpg (246.4 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
machinemen_wip_1_070609.jpg
machinemen_wip_1_070609.jpg (238.53 KiB) Viewed 2088 times

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Mechman Build-up Animation

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Jun 2009, 08:35

Looks and sounds fascinating... :-bd
Keep up the good work (and keep posting your progress) ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

crude

Post by crude » 08 Jun 2009, 09:10

sounds like a long process for one people project.
So my question: why did you make the head so highpoly although you want make some more detail in zbrush ?
...keep it up ;;) !

Leo

Post by Leo » 08 Jun 2009, 09:15

crude wrote:sounds like a long process for one people project.
So my question: why did you make the head so highpoly although you want make some more detail in zbrush ?
...keep it up ;;) !
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Regarding the "highpoly-"head:
It's because I made that head in ZBrush and you probably know how easy u add a subd too much just because it looks a little better while working with it :ymblushing:

Leo

Post by Leo » 18 Jun 2009, 12:34

The organic part of the hand:
It still misses the hairs and I'll probably keep working on the shader, but for now I'm gonna wait for how it works with the look of the rest of my image.

Lone Deranger

Post by Lone Deranger » 30 Jun 2009, 16:58

Looks like you've got something cool brewing here. Good job so far. The strands are looking great. Are they curve extrusions?
I am unfamiliar with the MTStrands addon you mention. Could you point me to a website where I might learn more about it?
Lead Matte Painter @ Scanline VFX