nhair vs Softimage hair?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Maya
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

nhair vs Softimage hair?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Nov 2014, 11:31

As some of you might know, I have all but given up on Maya, but given a little "project" that involves a human head with hair I was wondering the following: are there any specific benefits to utilize Maya nhair over Softimage hair? And what are the main differences, while we're at it?
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Nox

Re: nhair vs Softimage hair?

Post by Nox » 04 Nov 2014, 12:49

I dunno about nHair but this looks cool: http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=content/shop/1.script/0.GMH2/

rray

Post by rray » 04 Nov 2014, 17:22

If you're doing simulation, nHair has self collision, which can make a big difference with long hair.
In my little test session, the main problem I found except for being in Maya :-P was that interpolation between the guides isn't great (patent related?), and you're locked in the provided mental ray hair shader which is quite basic.
Don't know much about Softimage hair - I'd probably go for Kristinka styling+syflex cloth attachment for dynamics... it's a shame, ICE strands and a good hair sim would be such a natural combination which was just waiting to happen ~x(
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Nov 2014, 10:34

Thanks for your reply.
The idea was to style a hairdo, simulate it for a bit
and then pick an interesting frame to use as a still image, the intended end result.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!