Carlyle Group plans to sell The Foundry

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

Carlyle Group plans to sell The Foundry

Post by MauricioPC » 15 Dec 2014, 13:12

CGP Staff wrote:According to The Sunday Times, The Carlyle Group has appointed Arma Partners to find new investors for The Foundry. More on The Sunday Times’ website(http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/bus ... 495621.ece).

Source: CGPress
What? Now it would be 'funny' if Autodesk bought it! It would give a rebirth to their compositing packages and some nice modeling tools for Maya. L-)

Rork

Re: Carlyle Group plans to sell The Foundry

Post by Rork » 15 Dec 2014, 13:24

Now it would be 'funny' if Autodesk bought it!
I have a bad feeling about this......... ;-P

imho The Foundry being bought by AD would be the worst scenario possible. "The future is bright for Modo/Nuke".... err.....

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 15 Dec 2014, 14:28

Nuke would be pretty safe I think. A company that buys the Foundry would probably be motivated to do so because of Nuke.

I can't see AD buying the Foundry. After all, they 'suddenly realised' that they didn't need another 3D package when they EOL'd Softimage. It would be hard to explain buying another.

Mind you. Who am I kidding? Its not like they appear to be worried what anyone thinks of them. When you have everyone by the balls, you can pretty much do what you like.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 15 Dec 2014, 14:45

Pooby wrote:Nuke would be pretty safe I think. A company that buys the Foundry would probably be motivated to do so because of Nuke.

I can't see AD buying the Foundry. After all, they 'suddenly realised' that they didn't need another 3D package when they EOL'd Softimage. It would be hard to explain buying another.

Mind you. Who am I kidding? Its not like they appear to be worried what anyone thinks of them. When you have everyone by the balls, you can pretty much do what you like.
If you think about the tech, Autodesk would be crazy NOT to buy it. After all, TF has some nice things in there ... like Nuke, Katana, Nuke Studio, Colorway (for designers and architects), the new Mischief tech, etc.

EDIT: I forgot about MARI.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Dec 2014, 16:08

They can buy to kill a competitor. Basically what they have made with Softimage.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 15 Dec 2014, 17:00

another sign that God approves my choice: open source is the way (go Blender!)

Edit: Anyway, I think the article refer to this: http://vfxfoundry.com/ , and not the software company.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Dec 2014, 17:52

Autodesk potentially acquiring the Foundry?
If true, my response is shockingly simple: =))

edit: By which I don’t mean to say I am happy with it, just that I find it very funny…
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 15 Dec 2014, 18:14

Nizar wrote:Edit: Anyway, I think the article refer to this: http://vfxfoundry.com/ , and not the software company.
yeah, well, .. did you create an account on cgtalk just to post that? That's a one-man-band in Ohio that doesn't have Gravity on their showreel or any relation to Carlyle, and probably isn't worth 200M$.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 15 Dec 2014, 18:43

It will probably be Autodesk that makes the purchase. Unless there is a different big company that wants to make its way into the DCC software business, or a competitor to Autodesk that already exists, might be the other option. There are some software programs that The Foundry owns that may appeal to Autodesk, and if not, then they will most likely do it to get rid of the competition, as they did with Softimage...

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 15 Dec 2014, 22:07

So Mr. Peebler confirmed.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 0&p=849080

Interesting quote ...
But I can tell you that if I have anything to do with it, we’ll be a household name in 5 years. How?

Today we dominate in VFX

Today we are rapidly growing in games development from AAA to indie and mobile.

Today we have a strong foothold in design and CGAM.

We are working to change the way people think of product design and doing so with some AMAZING partners. You won’t believe it when you read it. I wish I could say more.

We are the leader in image manipulation for the budding AR/VR market. Consider AR/VR as a viable use case for stereographic and/or multi-cam 360 immersive content and you can quickly see that NUKE is positioned to dominate yet another important market.

Mischief is a very successful first cut at our massive brand building activities but the engine behind it ADF is equally if more subtly important to our long term strategy.

There are so many industries that will embrace The Foundry tech from our standard VFX/Media and games, to Design, AR/VR and even 3D printing. Did I mention user generated, customizable content? Probably too soon to mention that but let’s call this a placeholder.

Indeed, one day there will be a new major stockholder in The Foundry and they will have made a very wise investment indeed. As have you, our loyal customers. Change can be scary but one thing that hasn’t changed is our commitment to being open and honest with you. Now, let’s enjoy the ride shall we?

B

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 15 Dec 2014, 23:30

Who knows who will end up with it, certainly -THE- vfx monopoly would be one with both funds and motive.

Even that it's kinda hard to think of "who else?", yet I certainly hope some (or any) other one would step up to the plate..

But if that would be the case... 3DS, Maya, .. Softimage, ... Modo ...

The official reason for SI's demise was that there was already too many packages of the same type under the same roof,
(which begged the question <then why buy!> while everyone kinda already knew the answer to that.)
so I guess that might make one more 'casualty' (at just about the same "insignificant" amount of users)

On the vfx 2D side, there would remain Autodesk (in control of almost everything), and Fusion.

Nuke itself might still make it, but I wouldn't be surprised that it would be at the expense of Smoke or maybe vice-versa,
but in all likelyhood there would eventually remain 1 of the 2.

And at which point these solutions would be subject to fantastic new licencing schemes,
that's if they don't succumb to slow lack of attention in (constant) efforts/desire to consolidate everything
(in the market as well as in portefolios)
MauricioPC wrote:
Interesting quote ...
Brad Beebler wrote:Today we dominate in VFX.
I personally find the idea (or ideal) of "domination" to be utterly repugnant #-o

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 16 Dec 2014, 00:08

FXDude wrote:
Brad Beebler wrote:Today we dominate in VFX.
I personally find the idea (or ideal) of "domination" to be utterly repugnant #-o
I actually disliked the way he said it as well.

In any case, I only see market 'dominance' for Nuke.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 16 Dec 2014, 01:13

Or rather "-mostly- repugnant"..

Things *naturally* becoming more popular than others, and always trying to make a better product is fine.

But it's the desire to eliminate others (sometimes using means that can be considered 'forceful') which can be considered as 'not very cool'.

Which I don't think really qualifies the Foundry to date, I guess as you say, it's the choice of words that sounded a bit like that.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 16 Dec 2014, 06:03

Crap! :-ss

Nox

Post by Nox » 16 Dec 2014, 10:59

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 16 Dec 2014, 11:36

just you wait.. wouldn't be surprised if Facebook buys them too ;)