Expand the strand.

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Letterbox

Expand the strand.

Post by Letterbox » 22 Jun 2009, 14:29

Hi,

I'd been looking at strands and see that you can use point,segment,disc,rectangle etc. as the type.

And a thought occurred to me, is it possible to use custom geometry to be the strand shape.
As if it is possible it would open up some very interesting opportunities.

Cheers
Terry

PS if it is... how :D

josh1971

Re: Expand the strand.

Post by josh1971 » 23 Jun 2009, 16:15

Hi

I am currently trying to do just that...if I have any luck , I will post a solution

danko

Post by danko » 25 Jun 2009, 22:20

This is quite a simple solution to the problem, no custom nodes or anything else (still a ICE noob :P), but could do the job...using the spawn trails compound to create another state of particles, that can be controlled via the state machine node to give them instances different from the main ones. tha spawn trails settings done like in the image to have the particle stick at their emission point and to be generated with a costant rate
Attachments
trails1.jpg
trails1.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
spawn-trails.jpg
spawn-trails.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 25 Jun 2009, 23:08

Hi,
you can use custom geometry along the strand, but not directly in ICE. Helge Mathee wrote a plugin that does this (it was on SI|Community forum). I think he uses a custom geometry operator to extrude a mesh along the strand.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 25 Jun 2009, 23:15

CiaranM wrote:Hi,
you can use custom geometry along the strand, but not directly in ICE. Helge Mathee wrote a plugin that does this (it was on SI|Community forum). I think he uses a custom geometry operator to extrude a mesh along the strand.
Hey Super D, chow Bella :-)

CiaranM, any chance you remember the name, because you cant search by name, everyone's name is "the area", migration !

UPDATE: After going thru 22 pages - Hopefully Helge or AD will read this, as none of his work seems to have been migrated. ???

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Jun 2009, 00:07

You can find it here

Anyway, it creates tubes an stripes only, without UVs - you'll need another ICE compound for UVs.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 26 Jun 2009, 00:52

Mathaeus wrote:You can find it here

Anyway, it creates tubes an stripes only, without UVs - you'll need another ICE compound for UVs.
Hi Mathaeus,

You beat me to it, i was going to update that on 'the area' his plugins are NOT in the downloads, but rather in the links in the copy of the message.

Just in case any one else wonders...