Could we get an RSS feed?

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
Janne404

Could we get an RSS feed?

Post by Janne404 » 26 Jun 2009, 16:41

RSS-feed with the latest topics would be nice. I sadly don't have time to visit any forum very frequently, but if some topic jumps from the feed, it's easy way to just drop by and make a reply.

Thanks,
- Janne404

owei
Administrator

Re: Could we get an RSS feed?

Post by owei » 26 Jun 2009, 17:14

Hi and welcome Janne404 ;)

Well, I´ll have to check this out...in the meantime I suggest to use the subscription buttons named "subsribe forum" (can be checked for each subforum) or/and "subscribe topic" (can be checked for every topic). They can be found on the upper left side bewlow subforum/topic headline...does that fit for now..??

EDIT: also check your setting in the user control panel about auto notifying and so on...

thanks for your input..!

cheers,
oliver

farhaad_yousefi

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 27 Jun 2009, 12:58

Janne404 wrote:RSS-feed with the latest topics would be nice. I sadly don't have time to visit any forum very frequently, but if some topic jumps from the feed, it's easy way to just drop by and make a reply.

Thanks,
- Janne404
i agree.!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Jun 2009, 13:06

I agree some kind of RSS-feed would be nice... :D
If we truly want to build a community, however, spending more time (than just the "hit and run"-surfing RSS would enable) here, may obviously be helpful also... %-(

edit: okay, that sounds a bit harsh, and I'm fully aware surfing each and every site for new posts in certain threads can be a hassle. My remark wasn't directed at any individual in particular, but was a general remark directed at this "community" as a whole... ;)

And while I'm at it: before implementing a RSS-feed, people should start posting more, to give "us" something to actually "feed"! :-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Janne404

Post by Janne404 » 27 Jun 2009, 23:14

Hirazi Blue wrote:...And while I'm at it: before implementing a RSS-feed, people should start posting more, to give "us" something to actually "feed"! :-
I understand completely, but I also think the RSS-feeds can be a good boost to getting more visits and post, since it keeps the forum in mind even in the times when you're not looking for something particular.

- Janne404

Throbberwocky

Post by Throbberwocky » 10 Jul 2009, 11:49

Janne404 wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:...And while I'm at it: before implementing a RSS-feed, people should start posting more, to give "us" something to actually "feed"! :-
I understand completely, but I also think the RSS-feeds can be a good boost to getting more visits and post, since it keeps the forum in mind even in the times when you're not looking for something particular.

- Janne404
I can only second that! RSS feeds are so time saving and I doubt they are a reason for keeping people from posting.

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 10 Jul 2009, 12:30

+1 on the RSS feed!

kaizer_soze

Post by kaizer_soze » 16 Dec 2010, 23:25

+ 1 !
Heh ! - RSS for information flow is lake ICE for Softimage workflow :-bd

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Dec 2010, 10:38

Short answer: no, this community probably won't get an RSS Feed...

Long answer: no, this community probably won't get an RSS Feed
due to technical difficulties, as the modifications needed tend to make
the board unstable as a whole.
;)

But: as always - it's owei's call... ;;)

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 17 Dec 2010, 12:57

Hi!

Well, modding this forum is not an easy task and always takes the risk of damage and loss of data. As everything is running fine so far, I´ll keep it this way.
I was considering to switch over to Vbulletin but this means again a huge investment of time.
There are some nice solutions also integrating a CMS, but as this site is not that highly frequented, this might be over the top.

cheers,
oliver

kaizer_soze

Post by kaizer_soze » 20 Aug 2012, 13:33

Hi !
Just wonted to add, that it seems that from version phpBB 3.0.7, the forum software has ATOM Feed as a standard feature ! So if you plan to update or had updated already, enabling it seems quite easy (ACP>General>Feed settings).

(Sorry, for my English!)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Aug 2012, 13:44

Thanks for the heads-up.
Sadly, we are still on 3.0.5 and for various reasons unable to update at the moment... %-(

No need to apologize for your English, for "our" purposes (communication), it's more than sufficient, I'd say

luceric

Post by luceric » 10 Oct 2012, 19:47

it's be nice to have an RSS feed of the "Today's active posts", then we could make a post on twitter with a newsletter like there is for some other adsk products.

Moderator edit: As I've run out of ways to say this better than my previous post on the matter, I'm temporarily closing this thread.
If and when we get around to updating the site the wish for an rss feed will surely be taken into account - HB