Why is AD evil?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
pluMmet

Why is AD evil?

Post by pluMmet » 08 Apr 2015, 12:36

I have been very outspoken about the horrible practices of AD and EULA's in general.

The reason is I have a grasp of the bigger problem and it just happens to effect something that is very important to me (DCC)

If anyone cares to understand what it is that is happening and why anyone should be upset about it here is your chance to understand the problem as a whole

AD removing your ability to own a perpetual license is horrible.. worse is their acquiring as many programs as possible so they can ruin them as well.

The EULA allowed AD among others to disallow resale of your license which kept the price artificially high and gave them the capital to take over more and more of the industry.

The madness continues as they want you to check in every 14 days to use your temporary allowance from them.... a product they purchased and can now dole out to you.

It is simply madness!

It's not comfortable to think you are part of something evil (we are all nice (oblivious) people) so hearing some AD employee come in and trivialize these horrors is just annoying but also completely understandable ie. Cognitive Dissonance; Group Think.
Last edited by pluMmet on 08 Apr 2015, 21:18, edited 3 times in total.

pluMmet

Re: Why is AD evil?

Post by pluMmet » 08 Apr 2015, 13:41

If you are lazy or too busy you can pick up the end of the video @ 1:15:00 and it will explain why the AD system is bad (though with little foundation to the problem as a whole)

If you care to counter the ideas of that last portion please be big enough to state that you only viewed that portion.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 Apr 2015, 21:45

Yes the companies that don't recognize differences in their clients risk, well having only one kind of clients.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Apr 2015, 23:53

The main problem with evil cooperations isn't their extremely capitalistic approach to everything they do, but the way the client/customer keeps on buying/renting their products despite ongoing abuse and insults by these companies. Why are corporations evil is a valid question, but only if accompanied by the question, why is the client/customer so stupid/blind/easily fooled.
:o)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2015, 01:26

Hirazi Blue wrote:The main problem with evil cooperations isn't their extremely capitalistic approach to everything they do, but the way the client/customer keeps on buying/renting their products despite ongoing abuse and insults by these companies. Why are corporations evil is a valid question, but only if accompanied by the question, why is the client/customer so stupid/blind/easily fooled.
:o)
That is a common concept that i don't agree with... Lets look at some examples.

I Hate Windows.. Of the available OS's today Linux is by far my favorite (Amiga Workbench is my all time favorite.)

What do I loose out on if I switch from Windows.. well a quality Bitmap Editor like Photoshop or my choice PaintShop, Drivers for loads of my devices.

My choices over all are limited. Well I hate Windows but do I hate myself? Do I make my life harder?

Microsoft made developers lives easier with API's like DirectX.. They don't target the consumer directly they target the developers.

It's the same reason there are so many fast food restaurants compared to family owned quality food restaurants.

A person can open a good quality restaurant, work hard and make a nice living feeding people or they can open a MacDonalds.. hire a manager let MacDonalds do most of the work and in a few years open another 2 locations and if they are really on their game 5 more within 3 more years.

So here you are living your life going place to place and you can take a chance on a restaurant you have never heard of and maybe get some really good food but maybe not or you can go with what you are sure you will get at MacDonalds.. besides you are in a hurry and your kids are driving you nuts. You have already driven past 3 MacDonalds and they want to get the crappy toy they need to be the same as all their class mates.

Innovation is suppressed by Monopolies... They will be happy to lie and tell you about all the good they do and cry when things don't go their way but the evidence is overwhelming that they are leeches on industry.

But who has the time to understand that? We need to grab some beer and chips and go catch the 'Game" and just forget all the problems we have during the week.

Another false notion is that power corrupts... that is true only to a limited extent. In reality the corrupt seek power.

The idea that you can hide from these individuals and not accept what they control is like putting your head in the sand.. there is no place to hide from it.

All there is is fighting the good fight and doing what you can ;)

Over 100 people have entered this thread but I doubt even a dozen will watch that video... "Not Interested", "No Time, it's on my list (not)" or "Probably a waste of time, what would it change?"

Prepackaged "truth" like prepackaged food... it's everywhere and you are busy lol

If you do find the time to watch that video Hirazi you just might think you were wrong about the "extremely capitalistic approach" you seem to think is responsible, perhaps even within the first ten minutes.

Once you take away the 4 minute intro you would probable get the idea that that AD is most likely a monopoly within 2 minutes and be sure of it within 15 :D

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Apr 2015, 12:42

Well I don't deny the system is stacked against "us" end users (and I don't deny not having watched the video either :!! ),
but as long as the end user has any choice in the matter, any claim that lessens his/her responsibility in all this is a "cop out" IMHO.
In "our" case there still is some choice but nobody seems to exercise their right to choose. All they ever do is complain how bad the situation has gotten.
;)

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2015, 12:54

Here is a popular topic that you and everyone you know has a chance to understand yet less then 1% have any real notion about it

So if you can blame people for "caving" to these horrible companies then you must also condemn people for not having a handle on this topic.

If you don't hold people responsible for knowing this why don't you? If you do hold them responsible why do you think they (as a whole) don't care enough to take the time to be a responsible person/citizen.

"To inform the American public so they can make a decision on what to do about it"... who do you know has taken the time to review the info and are talking about what needs to be done?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Apr 2015, 13:02

Funnily enough, I did see this already and I even think I "got" it, but I think it's best for me to shut up now, this is getting too political too fast... I'm out. ~x(

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2015, 13:43

Well if Snowden is too controversial a topic then the first video link is not for you as it is much more core as related to understanding the problems of this world...

And this you should never look at because it is even more core :P

Moderator edit: I am tempted to close this thread: tone it down and try to keep it remotely topical (for the si-community) - HB

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 09 Apr 2015, 15:27

Althought you made your point, may I remind people of the following rules:
Forum rules

The administrators and moderators of this forum try to edit or to remove entries with questionable contents as fast as possible; however, it is impossible to check every individual message. By submitting this approval you accept that each contribution in this forum shows the opinion of its author and that the administrators, moderators and operators of this forum are only responsible for their personal contributions.

You commit yourself, neither to publish in this forum insulting, obscene, vulgar, defaming, violence gloryficating nor other postings with indictable content. Offenses against this rule lead to immediate and permanent suspension. The operators reserve the right to pass the corresponding connection data to the criminal prosecution authorities. You grant the operators, administrators and moderators of this forum the right to remove, edit or relocate contributions at their own discretion. You agree that the data gathered during registration are stored in a data base.

This system uses Cookies, in order to store information on your computer. These Cookies contain none of the information indicated above, but serve exclusively for a convenient operation. Your mail address is used only for the acknowledgment of the registration and if necessary for the delivery of a new password.

By completing the registration you agree to these conditions.

1. Be kind to each other, because this is a support-forum and no flame-forum. Insulting statements are unwanted in any case. Asssure that discussions are always led objective and do not end in a personal battle. Resolve issues outside the board or consult a moderator.

2. Please post new contributions on-topic, that means relevant to the subject/range of topics and phrase expressive Thread titles! "Help" or "problem!" can be mentioned in the thread, but please not as topic heading. The title should display the basic problem - thus generally results in more and better responses which is also in your own self-interest.

3. If you have reported a concrete problem, please post a feedback whether one of the proposed solutions has solved it. It is simply annoying, if someone is still reflecting about a problem but the solution has been found long before.

4. Commercial issues should stay in the background. In first place this forum is here to inform about certain developments, not to advertise them aggressively.

5. Leave politics outside please. Here we want to exchange experiences. That is primarily an appeal to you, but experiences revealed that political threads heat-up the emotions and the climate of public opinion suffers heavily.

6. The responsible person can ban individual forum users, who violate deliberately against these rules.

7. For each forum-participant one log-on is authorized. In case a user creates several accounts and various nicknames without a good reason, depending on the situation, all accounts may be blocked.

8. Avoid unnecessary, as well as double- and triple- postings.

9. No proposals / postings / threads to right-wing extremists offers or similar unconstitutional contents. This applies to avatars as well as to signatures.

10. Signatures and graphics attached to a thread shall not affect the readibility of the page.

11. Avoid all kind of links containing reference-ID´s containing illegal stuff for example stolen software, stolen videos or stolen music.

Thank you,
your "www.si-community.com" team ;-)
I enjoyed for years this community because if its acceptance of divergent views. But this is going too far in the political, bordeline offensive and extremist side and I must object. Not every body accept this view of the world.

Please Administrator, close this thread.

Kindly, DB.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2015, 16:21

Just a lot of noise I suppose, sorry for the trouble.

Closing the thread is fine w/me.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 09 Apr 2015, 19:19

Before closing the thread, I just want to add, I dont see Autodesk more or less evil than Microsoft. Its just a bigger company than Maxon or The Foundry or SideFX, wich basically makes them an evil company in the eyes of the user. Im sure all the brands I mention buy plugins and technology all the time, and they get canned too (lightwave someday?), or they purchase plugins but get badly implement (only god knows why a simple plugin like solo selection in C4D ended unusable), or are just forgotten (Im looking at you C4D bodypaint).

In fact, In XSI theres a lot of tools that never got implemented or were badly done (In my eyes: Text tool and curve creation just plain suck, and of course the non existant in house fluid solver in XSI).

Anyway, does it really matter if my hammer or my pencil was forged in the deep hells of the underworld?

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2015, 20:07

luchifer wrote:Before closing the thread, I just want to add, I dont see Autodesk more or less evil than Microsoft. Its just a bigger company than Maxon or The Foundry or SideFX, wich basically makes them an evil company in the eyes of the user. Im sure all the brands I mention buy plugins and technology all the time, and they get canned too (lightwave someday?), or they purchase plugins but get badly implement (only god knows why a simple plugin like solo selection in C4D ended unusable), or are just forgotten (Im looking at you C4D bodypaint).

In fact, In XSI theres a lot of tools that never got implemented or were badly done (In my eyes: Text tool and curve creation just plain suck, and of course the non existant in house fluid solver in XSI).

Anyway, does it really matter if my hammer or my pencil was forged in the deep hells of the underworld?
You have not grasped the point of the conversation at all..

It's not what can the tool do or not do... it's what price does it extract.
I'm guessing you have not pondered why any of this is harmful?