HairFarm expanding

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
pluMmet

HairFarm expanding

Post by pluMmet » 17 Jun 2015, 12:26

I got an email from Cyber Radiance that they are expanding to new platforms and have asked Chase Bank for funding and Chase agreed to fund them as long as there was interest...

An interesting concept.. sort of KickStarter meets banking.

https://www.missionmainstreetgrants.com/b/69253

I wish it did not require a Facebook account in order to vote as I think this is a worthy thing to vote for.. He only needs 250 votes and he is almost there.

http://www.hair-farm.com/

Daniel Brassard

Re: HairFarm expanding

Post by Daniel Brassard » 17 Jun 2015, 14:15

Voted, thanks for the information.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 17 Jun 2015, 15:04

Voted!

I hope that means Hair Farm is coming to Maya. It's a very good plugin.

Yesterday, Ephere Lab posted on facebook if there's interest on a Maya version of Ornatrix.

https://www.facebook.com/ephereinc/phot ... 96/?type=1

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 17 Jun 2015, 18:41

I am hoping for a C4D plugin but now with this Houdini bridge with C4D I guess a Houdini plugin would be good enough.

I had been down on Houdini as an SI replacement and I still am but with this bridge it looks like I would be very happy to have a Houdini License in order to take advantage of it's power.

As long as I can take advantage of HairFarm outside of anything AD I'll be in heaven :D

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 18 Jun 2015, 00:44

I dont know, to be excited or not to be ). Can Hairfarm realistically simulate long hair? All i can google is just a stiff jiggle.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 18 Jun 2015, 02:30

And some insane stills :)

http://www.cyberradiance.com/hairfarm/f ... =13&t=1641

one direct image ;)

You can comb (pun intended) through the showcase forum ^:)^

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Jun 2015, 03:50

Also check this guy work. Lots of hair farm and lots of incredible hair. :)

https://www.artstation.com/artist/Woody

Now ... in the timeframe of a week, the two major 3ds Max hair plugins are looking to expand. I wonder what this means ...

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 18 Jun 2015, 10:06

Hi plumMet! That was simulated with marvelous designer, not with hairfarm. And looks like a bunch of cloth stripes indeed.
The guy says: "Длинные волосы (сделанные в 3ds Max плагином HairFarm) я симулировал с помощью ткани в Marvelous Designer 3", what means: "Long hairs (made in 3ds max via HairFarm) i'v simulated like a fabric in MD3"

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Jun 2015, 11:40

Afaik it simulates the 'hair mesh', mesh hull, used for distributing the strands. Don't know how this simulation is flexible, but definitively hard to imagine to see 'centrifugal' movement, typical for hair products advertising, or something like. There is a sort of tradition, of searching the another option for simulating. We were target too, while ago. We = Softimage ICE in best times, let's say around 2009 - 2012. Max people were ready to go into unpleasant process of exporting from Max to SI, even on price of loosing some data, just to get better simulation.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 18 Jun 2015, 12:25

wesserbro wrote:Hi plumMet! That was simulated with marvelous designer, not with hairfarm. And looks like a bunch of cloth stripes indeed.
The guy says: "Длинные волосы (сделанные в 3ds Max плагином HairFarm) я симулировал с помощью ткани в Marvelous Designer 3", what means: "Long hairs (made in 3ds max via HairFarm) i'v simulated like a fabric in MD3"
Okay.... Not sure why using a cloth sim is not acceptable to you?

HF offers an easy way to generate hair (one that has since been copied) as well as a masterful hair self intersection collision sim and it's own shader/render system.

Employing additional sims like cloth or adding any number of forces is as far as I can tell normal sim stuff?

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 18 Jun 2015, 13:31

pluMmet wrote: HF offers an easy way to generate hair (one that has since been copied) as well as a masterful hair self intersection collision sim and it's own shader/render system.
I believe as soon as you start simulating hair with external cloth sim you are not able to use masterful hair self intersection collision sim of hairfarm.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 18 Jun 2015, 13:34

wesserbro wrote:
pluMmet wrote: HF offers an easy way to generate hair (one that has since been copied) as well as a masterful hair self intersection collision sim and it's own shader/render system.
I believe as soon as you start simulating hair with external cloth sim you are not able to use masterful hair self intersection collision sim of hairfarm.
LOL sure you can.. just run that second with low gravity :P

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 18 Jun 2015, 13:37

Mathaeus wrote:Afaik it simulates the 'hair mesh', mesh hull, used for distributing the strands. Don't know how this simulation is flexible, but definitively hard to imagine to see 'centrifugal' movement, typical for hair products advertising, or something like. There is a sort of tradition, of searching the another option for simulating. We were target too, while ago. We = Softimage ICE in best times, let's say around 2009 - 2012. Max people were ready to go into unpleasant process of exporting from Max to SI, even on price of loosing some data, just to get better simulation.
I also feel like that , Mathaeus, but whats confusing me is this articlehttps://limjeff.wordpress.com/2013/03/0 ... imulation/, where you can find some cool longhair sim giff at the beginnning, but then, if you look down on the article to the breakdowns its hardly believable that the first cool giff (black curly hair and a cylinder) was created with Hairfarm...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Jun 2015, 14:49

wesserbro wrote: I also feel like that , Mathaeus, but whats confusing me is this articlehttps://limjeff.wordpress.com/2013/03/0 ... imulation/, where you can find some cool longhair sim giff at the beginnning, but then, if you look down on the article to the breakdowns its hardly believable that the first cool giff (black curly hair and a cylinder) was created with Hairfarm...
imho, could be created and simulated by meshes, why not. Anyway, for my taste, Ornatrix definitively wins in that simulation comparison. Maybe guy didn't worked enough to get hair farm sim enough flexible, maybe not - but, in any case, Ornatrix shows much more of details.

Helli

Post by Helli » 20 Jun 2015, 13:39

I guess there is no "best hair tool" but it is more about using the right tool for the right job.
When it comes to short / mid length fur at least I prefer using Yeti.
But then for longer hair Yeti just doesn't have the tools to do the job and it all becomes realy tidious, in that case I would really like so see something like the hair shells.

Softimage ICE was almost perfect. Almost 100% freedom in how to create your hair but it was lacking grooming brushes and tools which probably would have been added if AD wouldn't habe bought it.
The connection to S&H for grooming is just not what you want to use (it slows down your setup a lot and also makes your scene more heavy as needed while limiting your possibilities).