Administrator

Re: The Future of Maya Modeling - Autodesk Vision Series

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 Aug 2015, 15:53

sorry, couldn't resist...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 16 Aug 2015, 04:27

I spent all saturday working with Maya, I have some graphics issues, like some odd transparencies or jagged black blocks on the edge of my geometry in viewport 2.. I have a i7 920 with 6 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 460.. is it time to upgrade my ram or should I get a new computer?

I think Maya and I no longer hate each other =)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Aug 2015, 05:08

The issue might be the graphic card.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 16 Aug 2015, 07:01

Ohh I was hoping 8 more RAM could solve it. My motherboard is g1 guerrilla, a little old (6 years old pc), but modo, cinema and xsi work fine. Zbrush never gave me problema either. Anyway, tomorrow I will do some more tests.

Of all the softwares I hace been tested this weekend, maya ley me see more workspace, but I miss the ability Modo has to "see through" selected edges that are behind geometry

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 16 Aug 2015, 18:25

If you haven't tried already, I would look into updating your graphics drivers first. I use the 'GeForce Experience' from NVidia, and I really like it as it always lets you know when a new driver version is available to download.

In regards to the video, that is looking really nice! I hope it is integrated in the next release. Just a couple of years ago, it seemed like the industry was saying to get a particular software to do a specific job - develop a mixed pipeline. After the EOL of Softimage, it now seems like Autodesk is kicking into high gear with Maya...maybe everything is coming full circle where you only really need one particular software again to get most things done?

luis7654

Post by luis7654 » 21 Aug 2015, 05:31

Are you guys talking about this video?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31z7u ... ing_school

The video from post 1 was removed by the user.

It looks pretty cool, but do you guys think this means that Max is going to die next?

I'm considering moving Max but imagine if I spend another few years mastering a new software (max) just to find out that Autodesk is also going to kill it :S

I kind of like max (or I want to like it) but Maya seems to be getting all the attention, do you think is a risk move to learn Max instead of Maya?

Edit: Okay I've been checking the new features in Max of the latest releases and at least is getting more attention from Autodesk than Softimage ever did.

But I still feel like Maya is the main focus of Autodesk... and I'm kind of scared to switch to Max. (First Messiah, then Softimage, what if switch to Max and it happens again)

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 21 Aug 2015, 16:43

luis7654 wrote:(First Messiah, then Softimage, what if switch to Max and it happens again)
Whatever you do, just don't switch to Houdini ;)

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 21 Aug 2015, 19:02

Hi Luis. Yes, that is the same video. I have no idea why it was pulled from YouTube...maybe there was some exclusivity rights where it couldn't be posted yet.

Being a Softimage user, I had a choice between Maya or Max with Autodesk's migration offering. I chose the "Maya with Softimage" bundle, mainly because it seemed like Autodesk was putting their money behind Maya the most. It was a hard decision, and parts of me still wish I chose Max - for Architecture things and iRay. As certain industries use those features quite extensively. I have not gotten into Maya much yet, but I know it is a great package (I do not know about the whole usability issues that some post about on here) but it does seem like it is getting pretty good too, and I only hear great things about the new UI and some other areas.

I guess you could always download the trails and see what you like best, or now that they are both on rental, (even though I am opposed to renting software) you could always choose a main program and then just rent the other when needed.

If you are looking outside of Autodesk, then Houdini Indie (Full Houdini License with small limitations) could be rented for about $200 per year. Or you can take the plunge and get the full (non-indie) version, for more money.

It is interesting times that we have now, so it is a tough call. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Substance becomes integrated into Maya either at some point. With Blender and other alternatives out there that are giving Autodesk competition, Autodesk might start bringing everything under one hood, so to speak...who really knows though.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 21 Aug 2015, 21:18

I've seen it posted many times at facebook by AD M&E employees that 3ds Max sells more than Maya + C4D + Modo together. Of course they don't know for sure how many Modo and C4D licenses are sold, but you get the picture.

3ds Max only looses for Autocad in the AD portfolio. Can they kill it? Sure ... but I doubt since it's used a LOT, differently from Softimage. :/

By the way ... Maya 2016 Bonus Tools.

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 21 Aug 2015, 21:55

Beside game and movie industry I never seen Maya used extensively anywhere. Maya? if you are not an animator or rigger, than it's nowhere close to being standard in any way.

3dsmax is a STANDARD. You will find it everywhere, in any industry.
This is the only program from Autodesk that I consider a must to at least know a little.
Jumping from 3dsmax to Maya doesn't solve any problems. It's still plugin/script driven program with old architecture.

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 21 Aug 2015, 21:59

Is that true? Max sells more than Maya?

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Aug 2015, 00:58

Maya is also used alot in the automotive industry.

As for what sells the most, you won't find many AD employees stating publicily what product (Max vs Maya) sells most and giving specific numbers. You're not really supposed to do this due to AD being a public company, though many will try and drop hints. Not so long ago, AD would state that 3ds Max was the worlds most popular 3D package, but you don't hear that being said any more. It's fair to say though that 3ds Max is a hero product for AD and caters to many of their industries.

3ds Max is one of AD's flagship products, that account for approximately 48% of their net revenue (fiscal 2015), others include AutoCAD, AutoCADLT, AutoCAD Mechanical, AutoCAD Cive 3D, AutoCAD Map, AutoCAD Architecture, and Maya.
Btw, there's nothing secret about this, you can get this info from AD's annual report.

Bottomline is though, I don't see Max going away anytime soon, imo.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 27 Aug 2015, 22:12

hey that interface looks a bit more spruced up :D much better! , doesnt look like this so much now.

good job :-bd
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Aug 2015, 16:22

those icons, memories...