Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
wireframex

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 14 Aug 2020, 12:30

Thanks a lot Shekn for your very super fast release ;)
:-bd

EDIT : it works perfectly :)

Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

jonmoore

Post by jonmoore » 15 Aug 2020, 12:38

Shekn wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 15:58 HDRMaster small update, download from the link: https://ssoftadd.github.io/hdrMasterPage.html

Add the previous feature request. If the "Store Mode" is "Save to a special directory", then it is possible to set this special directory, where all preview and crop images will be saved.
hdrmaster_img.png

Also fix two bugs:
1. Now the rotation slider (in HDR Master property page) in degrease (from 0 to 360) instead of radians
2. Now the texture image node in the shader in non-color mode, because hdr-files images not require gamma correction.
Just a quick word of thanks with regard to you continued efforts at https://ssoftadd.github.io/. B-)

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 05 Sep 2020, 14:58

Hi @Shekn. With the recent release of Blender 2.9 are there any news for the update of Sycles? There are a lot of goodies, that I don't know if they would make it into the next release of Sycles.
Any news will be more than welcomed.
Cheers!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 19 Sep 2020, 13:12

Just saw Shekn has updated Cycles ^:)^

Builded with Cycles ver. 1.13 (commited at 17.09.2020)

There is also a new manual

EDIT : Can't load it yet ;)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 19 Sep 2020, 15:48

Yes, update Sycles to the version 1.10.1. Download here (this link is correct): https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... 1.xsiaddon

What's new:
1. Now the renderer use Embree library for raytraicing. Nothing changes for users, but as Blender developers says, the using of this library can decrease the rendertime of complex scenes.
2. OpenImageDenoise is built in inside the renderer. It's possible to use it instead of the standard denoiser.
3. More consistent support of the OptiX as render device. But as I understand, it does not support all render features yet.
4. OptiX denoiser - the third option for denoising render images. It does not works with CPU rendering, only with GPU rendering.
5. Shadow terminator - the new parameter in Cycles custom property for polymesh objects. This parameter allows to reduce rendering artifacts on low-poly objects with smooth shading (this effect described here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... _data.html).
6. Nishita sky model in cycSkyTexture node. This model produce the great lightining for the open-door scene. Only one remark: by default the sky is over-brighted. For correct result it needs to switch to Filmic color profile (instead of the default sRGB).
7. VDB primitive for rendering static OpenVDB files. This primitive allows to select the vdb-file and show some statistic information about selected file. In particular, the grids inside this file. There is no possibility to render animated vdb-s by using these primitives. Only static. For animations it will be better to use OpenVDBtoSoftimage addon. How to use VDB Primitive is described in the tutorial 26 of the manual (https://ssoftadd.github.io/manuals/sycl ... 20_eng.pdf)
8. Some bugfixes and improvements. In particular, now in some cases the render does not update the whole scene, but update only changed items. This works for changing shader parameters and camera and lights positions. But this update mechanism may produces some bugs. I don't know.

Bad news: the size of the distributive is very big. 130 Mb. And I can't reduce it, because all libraries inside this distributive is needed for the render engine. Only one method to decrease the size of the distributive - delete unused cuda binaries inside \Application\Plugins\lib folder.

And one more remark. Now the render use tbb.dll library, and the version of used library may be conflict with the same library, installed in the system or used by another addon. For example, on my machine, if I install Sycles addon inside workgroup, then all works perfect, by if I install it to the same folder, as other addons, then it conflicts with my other addon S-USD. Because S-USD use another version of the tbb library.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 19 Sep 2020, 17:29

Hey Shekn

I can't see any denoising parameters

Phil

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 19 Sep 2020, 17:55

wireframex wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 17:29 Hey Shekn

I can't see any denoising parameters
Found it ;)
It disappears with old sycles scene

EDIT : Shekn > Do you know how to have it to work (Denoising) with old Sycles scene ?

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 19 Sep 2020, 21:45

thank for the work .
Here a list o thing appening :)
If i check also for mistake optix in the render device, cycles stop to work forever, xsi need to be killed with the task manager.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 19 Sep 2020, 21:45

thank you any way, super cool.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 20 Sep 2020, 13:04

wireframex
There is no possibility to manipulate new parameters from the old scene. Only merge old scene to the new one and redefine render parameters.

yashugan
Explain in more details, what you do to obtain error with OptiX. May be there are some messages in the Log? In any case, OptiX is quite experimental feature. Also there is the following possibility. When I activate motion blur and set OptiX as render device, then the render starts, but it looks like it goes to infinite loop. The rendering process stay at 0% and it use only one core of the CPU. But after a while it renders the frame correctly, and all other render sessions works without any delays. I don't know why (and what) happens, but may be it recompile (or additionaly compile) some features for the OtiX diver. Or something similar.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Sep 2020, 13:53

Skekn > Thanks it is a good idea :)

EDIT > I just create a new scene with a simple Null and I merge with the old one --> it works :)

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 20 Sep 2020, 17:42

Thank you for explanations. I proivide right sequence of my clicks to show you whant happen. Thank! :)

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Sep 2020, 18:32

I have made different tests with OptiX without any problem for me.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Sep 2020, 15:10

Just started using Sycles, but I can't seem to get it to work.
Could someone perhaps please post a simple sample scene I can use to check if everything works "as advertised"?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 21 Sep 2020, 15:39

The simple scene is simple. The setup is described in the first tutorial on the manual (https://ssoftadd.github.io/manuals/sycl ... 20_eng.pdf). You should create geometry, add the light source and change the render engine. That's all. Default Softimage lights are not working, only the special ones. Or maybe the addon is not properly installed. Check it on the File - Plugin Manager... May be there are errors on the tree with plugins components.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Sep 2020, 17:11

Ah, I just figured something out: in your pdf you mention setting the Cycles Area Light Strength to 250
but that seems to be way too high, resulting in overexposed images...
Leaving it at 1 seems to work much better...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!