Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Shekn

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 26 Sep 2020, 17:16

This is a typical effect for any ray-tracer renderers. It appears for low-poly objects with smooth shading. There is shadow terminator property (in Cycles Mesh property). It helps to resolve this render error.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Sep 2020, 19:33

Okay, thanks for the info...
...so much to learn still after all these years... :-??
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Surface_VR

Post by Surface_VR » 29 Sep 2020, 18:17

Great!

The word "static" is used, but it is theoretically possible to turn visibility on and off, isn't it?
Maybe in the future sequential reading will no longer be a dream!?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Oct 2020, 17:22

Luckily I spoke too soon... I removed my previous post.
Sorry for the noise, I was extremely frustrated.
A system reinstall seems to have fixed the problem
I was having with Sycles not rendering with CUDA at all...
Still crashes on activating Optix though.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 02 Oct 2020, 17:43

There are many possible reasons for crashes. May be some error with OptiX driver, or bug in the Cycles render engine. Try to select only one OptiX render device in the render settings. Is it still crash? Also try to render in the Blender some simple scene with selected OptiX device. May be the Blender will be crashed too. Then we can only wait, when Blender developers will fix it.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 18 Oct 2020, 10:17

Hi

Just tried rendering with Optix GPU without any pb only if I uncheck CPU option ;)

EDIT : the gain is about 40-45% with Optix GPU rendering mode (compared with normal GPU mode without CPU)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Cinnsealach

Post by Cinnsealach » 23 Oct 2020, 08:28

Greetings, long time lurker de-cloaking :]

Apologies if this has been asked already or if it's a dumb question - Is there any way to get this to work in XSI 7.01? (I never bothered upgrading after adesk took over).

It seems to install without any errors but does not appear in the renderer selection drop menu.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 23 Oct 2020, 17:53

No, it's imposiible. Because there are some changes in API between XSI 7 and Softimage 2015.

I3D

Post by I3D » 29 Oct 2020, 05:03

Hi, how can I transfer color attributes from an ICE particle "Randomize Color" on an object using cycAttribute? I've tried setting the emission material and attached a log node to the output of the randomize color, but no matter what value I type in cycAttribute nothing gets rendered. Any ideas?

Thank you

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 29 Oct 2020, 16:56

I3D wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 05:03 Hi, how can I transfer color attributes from an ICE particle "Randomize Color" on an object using cycAttribute? I've tried setting the emission material and attached a log node to the output of the randomize color, but no matter what value I type in cycAttribute nothing gets rendered. Any ideas?

Thank you
You mean you can replicate the example in the document, with a mesh
But can not make the same setup working with particle points ?

I believe "density" is a per object data, like in Sycles with emFluid
So cycAttribute won't working with per point data?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 29 Oct 2020, 18:34

Sycles does not render particles. It can render only mesh instances instead of these particles. To use points attributes in the shader of the mesh instances, you should add to the pointcloud object CyclesPointcloud property and turn on the parameter "Use Pointcloud Attributes for Instances". This is a screen with an example:
pic_01.png
Material with cycAttribute node is the material of the instance object. The material of the pointcloud does not matter.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 29 Oct 2020, 21:58

Thank you for sharing this Shekn, this goes a long way how to integrate Softimage and Cycles with an ICE mindset. It's impressive, to say the least.

I3D

Post by I3D » 30 Oct 2020, 01:48

Thanks Shekn, that is exactly what I was looking for. :)

I3D

Post by I3D » 30 Oct 2020, 01:50

opoppopopp wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 16:56 You mean you can replicate the example in the document, with a mesh
But can not make the same setup working with particle points ?

I believe "density" is a per object data, like in Sycles with emFluid
So cycAttribute won't working with per point data?
Hi opoppopopp

No I wanted to render instanced geometry from a particle animation, I was able to do so, however the randomize color attributes wasn't being rendered on the instanced meshes. But Shekn response resolved it.

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 30 Oct 2020, 23:39

Shekn wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 18:34 Sycles does not render particles. It can render only mesh instances instead of these particles. To use points attributes in the shader of the mesh instances, you should add to the pointcloud object CyclesPointcloud property and turn on the parameter "Use Pointcloud Attributes for Instances". This is a screen with an example:
pic_01.png

Material with cycAttribute node is the material of the instance object. The material of the pointcloud does not matter.
Sycles with color.jpg
It shouldn't render particle shape? or just I am miss understanding.
of course 'blob' shape not working, but others seems ok?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 Nov 2020, 08:23

When you render particles with (for example) a cube shape, then the renderer crates a polygonal abstract cube and use it as an instance for particles. The same for spheres, cones and so on. Exceptions are only point and blob shapes. Because it is not polygonal objects. So, these particles are also instances. And yes, for these primitive shapes, the render use material of the pointcloud (because there is no real object for it), but for user defined instance shapes it use the material from the master object.