Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
wireframex

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 10 Oct 2022, 17:19

I3D wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 10:17 I hope that is enough motivation @shekn :)
:-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 12 Oct 2022, 11:48

new cycles is going to have pathguiding \o/ finally

https://developer.blender.org/T92571

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 23 Oct 2022, 19:22

or maybe we post some more picture rendered by Scycle here :) :) :)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 15 Jan 2023, 08:35

Next update: version 2.1
Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesSecondGenPage.html

This is completely rewritten version of the addon. In most it has the same functionality as previous 1.x versions, but there are some differences:
1. It's open-sourced. The link to the sources: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles
2. In this version I use built-in into Cycles functionality for subdividing meshes. It has some limitations (in particular, does not support deformation blur for subdivided meshes) and sometimes produce non-correct result. But this approach is more simple, because it use already existed functionality, instead of rewriting connector to OpenSubdiv.
3. Remove stupid optimizations for culling objects in the scene. In previous versions there was parameter for culling objects from the scene by visibility or distance to the camera. Theses optimizations did not produce any significant effect.
4. Improved shaderball previews. Now it previews not only material, but also any supported shader node. If the node contains several output ports, then it previews the first one.
5. Remove background color from render settings. Use global ambience scene parameter instead. This approach is more natural for Softimage.
6. Supports some basics parameters of the default light sources (point, infinite or spot). Not all parameters are supported, but at least color, intensity, area sizes and so on. Also support shader connections inside light render tree.
7. Supports some basic parameters of the default Phong, Lambert and Hair Shading shader nodes. Not all parameters, because most of parameters in phong shader (for example) does not make seance for principled bsdf (again, for example).
8. All Cycles shaders are the same. So, all previous shader compounds should works. But there is one difference. Now ImageTexture and EnvironmentTexture shader nodes use Image widget for select textures. In previous versions it use simple string filed for setting texture file. So, now these textures will not be recognized, because the addon gets textures from another parameter of the shader node. In particular, HDR Master addon does not works with new version of the Sycles addon. But I plane to update it.
9. Of course, this version contains all features of the current Cycles render from Blender. In particular, lightgroups, shadow caustics and so on.
10. By default the addon distributed without libraries for gpu rendering. This is bacuse the size of the addon is very large (110 mb) and archive with gpu libraries also is large (in total 78 mb). But if it is required, you can easily download this additional archive and copy files to the directory with installed addon.

If there are some errors, bugs, crashes or questions - please, write here or on the Issues page in the github repository.

I3D

Post by I3D » 15 Jan 2023, 09:20

Wow! Thank you Shekn 👏🙏

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 15 Jan 2023, 13:30

Thanks a lot :)
Real great for the community !!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 15 Jan 2023, 17:14

Hi Shekn,

I can't see my graphic cards (to check them) in the new cycles plugin I can check only my CPU.
Phil

EDIT : It seems it use only 1 graphic card

EDIT2 : I tried with lib folder from Sycles_1_12 without success

I3D

Post by I3D » 15 Jan 2023, 22:43

Hmm it doesn't seem to be using the GPU at all in my case. How do I activate it?

Also, in the denoiser, the only thing available is OIDN, which tells me Optix and GPU library are not loaded!

Any ideas?

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 16 Jan 2023, 07:09

I3D wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 22:43 Hmm it doesn't seem to be using the GPU at all in my case. How do I activate it?
I unchecked the CPU and the render do the job ;)
I suppose only a GPU is running but the render seems to be slower as usual I suppose all my GPU doesn't want to work together ;)
I3D wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 22:43 Also, in the denoiser, the only thing available is OIDN, which tells me Optix and GPU library are not loaded!
Same here
I3D wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 22:43 Any ideas?
Only our marvelous developper can do something for us ;)

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 16 Jan 2023, 13:49

Default *.xsiaddon does not contains libraries for gpu rendering and denoising. You should download it from here: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... .1/lib.zip
Then extract archive and place lib folder into installed addon folder. Libraries from old versions of the Sycles are not compatible.

Or may be you say that even with this lib folder inside addon, gpus are not recognizable? I will try to test it on clear machines.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 16 Jan 2023, 18:37

Shekn wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 13:49 Default *.xsiaddon does not contains libraries for gpu rendering and denoising. You should download it from here: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... .1/lib.zip
Then extract archive and place lib folder into installed addon folder. Libraries from old versions of the Sycles are not compatible.
Done it several times with manual erase of the Sycles folder to avoid bugs with the same result.
Shekn wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 13:49 Or may be you say that even with this lib folder inside addon, gpus are not recognizable?
Exactly

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 16 Jan 2023, 21:32

i have 2x nvidia 1080 and even after clean install with lib from github doesnt work :/

I3D

Post by I3D » 17 Jan 2023, 02:10

wireframex wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 07:09 I unchecked the CPU and the render do the job ;)
I suppose only a GPU is running but the render seems to be slower as usual I suppose all my GPU doesn't want to work together ;)
That is the first thing I tried, looked at the task manager couldn't see anything happening to the GPU, mine is a 3080 RTX.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Jan 2023, 06:11

Ok, I understand the problem.

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 17 Jan 2023, 10:05

Try this file: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... Plugin.dll

Now it should recognize all cuda gpus in the system, even without lib folder inside addon directory. But without lib it will make empty render, if some gpu is selected.

If it will works, then I will pack the addon as xsiaddon-file.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 17 Jan 2023, 10:45

Shekn wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 10:05 Try this file: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... Plugin.dll

Now it should recognize all cuda gpus in the system, even without lib folder inside addon directory. But without lib it will make empty render, if some gpu is selected.

If it will works, then I will pack the addon as xsiaddon-file.
works, both 1080 get recognized and renders fine, thanks a lot !!!