Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Shekn

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 22 Jan 2023, 08:04

In UI I tried to copy the position of settings from the Blender. In the Blender Transparent is inside Film tab. Motion blur is separate tab, but I decide to add it to the same Film. The reason is a balance between the number of tabs in UI and the size of each tab.

There are some idiomatic difficulties. Because there are nature internal settings groups inside Cycles render engine. But UI grouping does not coincide with this internal groups. If create UI with respect with this internal groups, then it will be very different with respect to Blender, and it's will be hard to use official Cycles documentation (or use any Blender tutorials).

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 22 Jan 2023, 18:34

not a big deal but when you create a scatter system and scatter an instance shape obect, lets say a torus and you have all these torus scattered, the "instance master hidden" option in t he visibility > render tab doesnt work, so your Instance main shape is always visible.
again this is minor since you can move it out of the camera view but i wanted just to point it out ;:)

btw you did a fantastic job, ive been using this since hours with not a single crash with the render view always open... playing with all the procedrual textures, this engine is so goddamn good.

thank you so mucu Shekn, i will miss you when this website is going to be down :( i wish i could be able to learn how to implement scycles within softimage myself. but i have coding knowledge lol

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 23 Jan 2023, 07:29

Thank you very much.

It's possible to implement your request. More over, it is not implemented, because I did not know about this parameter. Previously I think that in Softimage if master is hidden then it always hide all instances. It's good that there is possibility in Softimage to split the render visibility of the instances from master object.

RuiSantos

Post by RuiSantos » 23 Jan 2023, 13:03

Hi there,
I would like to thank Shekn and all the people still giving us these add-ons..thanks!
I tried the new Sycles add-on (2.1.1) and i think there's a problem with one or two nodes.Or maybe i'm not doing it right!.
When i use a HDRI with "cycBackground",usually i connect a "cycmapping+cycTextureCoordinate" to be able to rotate the HDRI...somehow now i can't.
Am i missing something?
Thanks
Rui

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 24 Jan 2023, 09:01

Hmm, for me this setup works:
Rotation values should be defined in degrees.

RuiSantos

Post by RuiSantos » 24 Jan 2023, 11:04

Hi Shekn,
Yes i made that exact setup except for the cycmixRGB node...instaled,uninstaled Sycles several times,and it didn't work....saw your post go figure,i made a fresh install,and it worked!...i don't know what happened.Sorry bothering you with this!Nevertheless,thank you!
Rui

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 24 Jan 2023, 12:59

Shekn wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 08:04 In UI I tried to copy the position of settings from the Blender. In the Blender Transparent is inside Film tab. Motion blur is separate tab, but I decide to add it to the same Film. The reason is a balance between the number of tabs in UI and the size of each tab.

There are some idiomatic difficulties. Because there are nature internal settings groups inside Cycles render engine. But UI grouping does not coincide with this internal groups. If create UI with respect with this internal groups, then it will be very different with respect to Blender, and it's will be hard to use official Cycles documentation (or use any Blender tutorials).
I understand, you did well.
Not using the blender I was just surprised, but it's my fault ;)
You are doing a fantastic job!
Question.. How is alpha channel treated in shaders?
All softimage nodes and shaders have control of the alpha channel, while those of cycles lack it.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 24 Jan 2023, 13:50

Shekn wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 09:01 Hmm, for me this setup works:
Rotation values should be defined in degrees.
dont use that mix rgb color it will wash out your texture, just set the color space in the environmentTexture as non-color data

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 25 Jan 2023, 07:12

About alpha channel in shader nodes. In Cycles color always contains only three channels (r, g, b). Procedural texture nodes (like noise or bricks) does not generate alphas. If some alpha is required, it should be setup manually as separate scalar value. At the end this value can be connected to transparent port of the Principled BSDF or used as factor for mixing some surface shader with clear transparent shader.

About mixRGB node in the previous example. In this example I used hdr-texture with very power light. Of course, as for all hdr-txtures, the mode of the texture is non-color. Even when I set the intensity of the background shader to 0.0001, the light is too strong. So, the mixRGB node used for additional scale-down of the intensity. The second color of the mix is black and the mode is Multiply.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 28 Jan 2023, 11:34

Today I had some time to try some things.. I would say that everything works well (apart from the links of the images inside the compound as we said before)..
Even my material (which you can find in a few pages back) works without no changes. :D
I am attaching an image that I made as a test.
I'm just desperately looking for a solution to have a "Matte Reflection" material that works like all other render engines (it's a cycles/blender problem).. :-w ~x( :D

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 04 Feb 2023, 11:50

Small update 2.1.2. Release notes and link to the download is here: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.1.2

In particular this update fix some previously mentioned bugs and I hope, does not introduce new ones.

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 04 Feb 2023, 13:28

Shekn wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 11:50 Small update 2.1.2. Release notes and link to the download is here: https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.1.2

In particular this update fix some previously mentioned bugs and I hope, does not introduce new ones.
Great! A thousand thanks! :ymhug:
I did a quick test, and everything seems to work fine. :)
I have a question: also in this version you haven't put the gpu libraries, is there a specific reason?

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 04 Feb 2023, 20:55

Hi Shekn

Thanks a lot.
Next time put the last SyclesPlugin.dll (121 840 640 bytes) to have all GPU ;)
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

avalon_70

Post by avalon_70 » 05 Feb 2023, 06:26

I don't know if it will be useful to anyone... I am attaching a compound for "background" lights to be used with HDRI.
The basis is that of the "HDRMaster", but it can be used simply as a compound, without the need to install environmental libraries.
Inside you will find the rotation in degrees 0-360, plus the possibility to desaturate the texture. ;)
For the uninitiated, if you copy it to the C:\Users\"your users"\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Data\RTCompounds folder, you will find it in the "Render Tree" at the top of them all.

Edit.. I can't put (Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.) :-?

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 05 Feb 2023, 07:52

Include or not include, that is the question. The reason to distribute libraries for GPUs separately is to reduce the addon size. As I understand by your remarks it is inconvenient. Ok, next time I will include the lib folder into addon package.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 05 Feb 2023, 14:40

Shekn wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 07:52 Include or not include, that is the question. The reason to distribute libraries for GPUs separately is to reduce the addon size. As I understand by your remarks it is inconvenient. Ok, next time I will include the lib folder into addon package.
^:)^
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory