GES import/export problem - can't install blender addon

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
3DTutorial

GES import/export problem - can't install blender addon

Post by 3DTutorial » 20 Mar 2023, 15:49

Hi guys,

Is anyone here familiar with installing the GES import/export addon in Blender? I can't get the bloody thing to install. I see a note on the webpage that the addon only works with Blender 3.2 and above. I've tried to install it in blender versions 3.2 and above but nothing happens. Blender doesn't give me any errors but nothing seems to be installed. When I look at the blender console it says that the scrips were copied to AppData\roaming\Blender Foundation\\Blender\\3.4\\scripts\\addons. I obtained the blender addon file from the following site: https://ssoftadd.github.io/gesPage.html. I have no idea why this will not install properly. I've tried a pile of different blender versions from 3.2 and above.... the addon simply does not install for me. I've also tried on a different machine but same issue. Does anyone have any idea where I might have gone wrong? I've installed dozens of blender addons and never had such an issue so I'm not sure what's up. Many thanks ! Cheers, Joe
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

3DTutorial

Re: GES import/export problem - can't install blender addon

Post by 3DTutorial » 20 Mar 2023, 18:05

UPDATE: ISSUE SOLVED !!!

Hello everyone, I'm happy to report that I found the solution. I found another version of the addon which worked for me as expected, I found it here: https://github.com/Tugcga/GES-ImportExport This version seems to install just fine...crisis averted. Maybe this will help someone else who is stuck. Cheers guys !
Follow me on Twitter

rray

Post by rray » 21 Mar 2023, 00:30

Hi Joe ))

I was going to try this addon soon. Thanks for the updated info, I'd surely have bumped into this.

Laters
Ray
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 21 Mar 2023, 11:49

rray wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 00:30 Hi Joe ))

I was going to try this addon soon. Thanks for the updated info, I'd surely have bumped into this.

Laters
Ray
Hi Ray ! Always happy to help :-) BTW - A very special thank you to the developer who created these wonderful tools, it's absolutely marvelous to be able to work with Cycles in both Blender and Softimage !!!!
Follow me on Twitter

rray

Post by rray » 22 Mar 2023, 12:46

Oh indeed thanks to Shekn/Tugcga! he's is a very talented programmer and we're lucky he publishes these important projects, even though they have the tiniest user base.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 22 Mar 2023, 13:02

rray wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 12:46 Oh indeed thanks to Shekn/Tugcga! he's is a very talented programmer and we're lucky he publishes these important projects, even though they have the tiniest user base.
Absolutely Ray. I can't begin to thank him enough for all his considerable efforts. Amazing work and I'm so grateful for his willingness to make these marvelous tools available to us ! So thanks again to Shekn/Tugcga.

Have a great day,

Cheers,

Joe
Follow me on Twitter

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 22 Mar 2023, 17:52

Thank you very much.

But the real is that the current version of the GES importer/exporter is very buggy. It works only on trivial scenarios. When the scene in Blender slightly more complicated or it contains some non-trivial materials, then the export may fails or the import into Softimage may be stopped by some error. The reason is that Blender API changes over the time. The developers introduce new shader nodes. And that's why the Blender exporter into *.ges could not catch all scene elements. Importer into Softimage is also buggy. It works on Python (it's slow) and use very entangled logic. Now it's almost impossible to fix any bug.

So, it will be better to use gltf format for import/export models from/to Blender/Softimage. GLTF format supports only very simple materials, which usually used in game engines. But it can be properly import into Softimage. Also these simple materials can be transfered into Blender. Sycles in Softimage supports GLTF material nodes. It should properly render imported models.

3DTutorial

Post by 3DTutorial » 22 Mar 2023, 18:10

Shekn wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 17:52 Thank you very much.

But the real is that the current version of the GES importer/exporter is very buggy. It works only on trivial scenarios. When the scene in Blender slightly more complicated or it contains some non-trivial materials, then the export may fails or the import into Softimage may be stopped by some error. The reason is that Blender API changes over the time. The developers introduce new shader nodes. And that's why the Blender exporter into *.ges could not catch all scene elements. Importer into Softimage is also buggy. It works on Python (it's slow) and use very entangled logic. Now it's almost impossible to fix any bug.

So, it will be better to use gltf format for import/export models from/to Blender/Softimage. GLTF format supports only very simple materials, which usually used in game engines. But it can be properly import into Softimage. Also these simple materials can be transfered into Blender. Sycles in Softimage supports GLTF material nodes. It should properly render imported models.
You are very welcome indeed. Yes, I did run into a situation where the import into Softimage did hang on a more "complicated" scene. I can certainly understand and appreciate what you are saying... it's very challenging if not impossible to develop for a software application that on one side is constantly changing and on the other is dead black box of sorts. In any case I'm amazed at all that you've been able to accomplish, so well done ! I appreciate the tips about the GLTF format and how that might be useful... I will have to look into that further. Thanks again for all of your hard work and effort, I can assure you it's greatly appreciated ! Cheers, J
Follow me on Twitter