Better shading in veiwport

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Talik

Better shading in veiwport

Post by Talik » 31 Aug 2023, 01:05

I'm watching Vitaliy videos and there are nice materials in viewport. At least they look better then standart materals and reflections are better.
Any advises about how to make same or better?

gaboraa

Re: Better shading in veiwport

Post by gaboraa » 31 Aug 2023, 15:34

If my memory serves me right, I saw him using Xoliul shader for Softimage but it was almost 15 years ago and I don't know if that shader is still working with the later version of Softiamge. He is using MOI 3D, and I presume he exported these meshes using it. When the meshes have a high polygon count, they tend to exhibit a more lifelike appearance, as seen in the image you provided. These NURBS-based applications are renowned for their exceptional export capabilities, delivering the mesh precisely as it appears within these applications. I modelled this in Plasticity: https://i.imgur.com/OBrGRuC.jpg

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 31 Aug 2023, 20:09

High Quality mode already doing most of the surface shading above, including shadow, reflection, Ambient Occlusion.
It is far from "next-gen" but can get most of your preview job done.

Talik

Post by Talik » 31 Aug 2023, 23:12

opoppopopp wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 20:09 High Quality mode already doing most of the surface shading above, including shadow, reflection, Ambient Occlusion.
It is far from "next-gen" but can get most of your preview job done.
It is a shaded mode on image

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 01 Sep 2023, 02:29

Talik wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 23:12
It is a shaded mode on image
All that seems to be just well tweaked, but regular OGL phong, with varying specular levels and "width" or "roughness"

Otherwise, you can add a "realtime shader" for reflections in "Open GL" shading mode,
but as mentioned, using the HQV with a phong that has some reflectivity, will also do the trick.
( while much more "user-friendly" )

But for any of these, you'd need to setup / plug an environment map of what would get reflected in the material,

It's also fairly easy to render a 360 environment, and use that as a reflection map, while maybe driving the reflections by a graded "incidence" shader.
( specially if the intention is to render using the viewport, but usually not necessary if the result is to be rendered in any raytraced renderer )