si-community wishlist

Discussions about si-community.com. You can post here as a guest.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

si-community wishlist

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Apr 2011, 10:01

Let’s do another “wishlist” thread for possible improvements of our little si-community…

Disclaimer: as this is no democracy, good suggestion will be taken seriously, but will not necessarily be implemented.
The end decision lies with Owei and many things just aren’t possible due to way our forum software is set up.
So this is very much a “wishlist” and not a promise for future changes!!! :-

With that out of the way:
what would do you envision as potential improvements to our little si-community?
%-( ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

SreckoM

Re: si-community wishlist

Post by SreckoM » 16 Apr 2011, 12:36

I would like to see more challenges organized :D

I think this might lead to more popularization of si-community, not that it is not popular now :D
- H -

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 16 Apr 2011, 15:53

A separate gallery with finished work, a la zbrushcentral.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 16 Apr 2011, 16:16

The gallery sounds like a neat idea, and I always like competitions - I think that would definitely bring more members.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Apr 2011, 16:25

The gallery is a neat idea, no doubt, although someone would have to create the necessary adaptation to the forum software (our regular gallery on the top of each page already is a "dirty hack") and someone would have to maintain it... And as it is sometimes hard enough to find pictures for our regular gallery, I'm afraid that will probably not happen...
Competitions, however, are extremely problematic. We tried that once with prizes graciously donated by Eric Mootz and guess what, we got hardly any response. After that traumatic experience I don't think a new competition will happen anytime soon...

Sounds like I'm deliberately sinking any good suggestion, but believe me, that's not the impression I want to give here :-ss ;)

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 16 Apr 2011, 16:36

The only other thing I can think of is maybe having a mini-featured portfolio section near the top somewhere that displays an image that will link to someone's portfolio that can be housed on here. It is similar to the Finished Gallery section, but I think it would have a lot less updating that would need to be done - maybe it can rotate every week or something. Also, I think it people might like it because it will help them in promoting themselves which could lead to a potential job.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 16 Apr 2011, 18:41

Hey Hirazi, how about changing a link (url) color on the light theme to something a bit darker? It kinda hurt eyes to look at them with this background. I take it this would be just a simple css mod, nothing too time consuming...

try and deliberately sink this one if you can. :-?

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 16 Apr 2011, 18:45

Sorry, don't know nothing about coding so cannot give you a hand for customize a gallery as I suggested...

In any case you can add somewhere a viewcube... :D

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Apr 2011, 19:48

@bottleofram - If you can come up with an alternative, that's more pleasing to the eye, while still explicitly highlighting the link (the problem with the original color), this is a request I am more than willing to follow up on. Please provide one or more colors in good old-fashioned RGB values, so we can eventually put it to a vote...
;)

PS - You're right, this isn't a really big modification... Biggest problem in this case is not the modification but to find a color that can "please all"...

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 16 Apr 2011, 20:43

move the 'I forgot my password ' further away from the password entry box , I keep on clicking on that by accident. :)
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Apr 2011, 20:48

Logging in at the bottom of the front page? ;)

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 16 Apr 2011, 20:51

What about a Game Dev section?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Apr 2011, 10:55

Some of our subforums are intentionally vaguely named: The description of our "Softimage Mod Tool" forum is "Topics related to game developing" and one would imagine/hope not only Mod Tool issues but also other (true?) game development issues, insofar they aren't directly "Programming" related that is, would find their way there...
;)

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 18 Apr 2011, 15:57

Hirazi Blue wrote:Please provide one or more colors in good old-fashioned RGB values, so we can eventually put it to a vote...
Maybe 153,0,0 [#990000]. Something similar is already being displayed at the top as a gallery outline [on FF at least]. Or maybe #006699... I dont think people care much about what color it is, as long as its readable.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Apr 2011, 16:04

Thanks for the thorough examples...
Now we're gonna have to put it to the vote. ;)
I'll open a voting thread... Go there now

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 19 Apr 2011, 20:15

in light of a recent discussion regarding a centralized location for all ICE compounds, I remember from the old SI website in the compounds download section there was a decent sized thumbnail with the description - similar to what Rray.de has, as we are visually orientated people I found it easier to remember the compound by its image rather than its name - is there any chance of a thumbnail alongside the title in the ICE downloads section here on this site.? also.. pictures just look better! :-bd
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.