Newtek Lightwave 11 got GoZ

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Caveman

Newtek Lightwave 11 got GoZ

Post by Caveman » 02 Jan 2012, 09:46

Newtek Lightwave 11 got GoZ before Softimage
Link - hxxp://www.newtek.com/features-lightwave-menu.html
Last edited by Caveman on 19 Jan 2012, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

bottleofram

Re: Newtek Lightwave 11 got GoZ

Post by bottleofram » 02 Jan 2012, 10:15

On the other hand, they are shipping it as a new feature of the package while all other GoZ's are free downloads on pixologic site.

I said many times, though, it is kinda strange soft is being ignored. There must be a reason, just no one seems care enough to explain it. Would hate it to be just a case of "well, we are already supporting one too many autodesk application as it is... ughh :-w "

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Jan 2012, 10:55

All commercial software has now GoZ. The only excluded is softimage and silo. Daz3d, i.e., has GoZ. Pixologic give support to everyone would like implement GoZ (they share their SDK), seems they are not capable to doing it (don't have any employer/programmer who know Softimage?
On the other hand, they are shipping it as a new feature of the package while all other GoZ's are free downloads on pixologic site.
I don't think is important where a feature becoming, what matter is can use it and work correctly.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Jan 2012, 11:03

From what I understand from the Mailing List: a dedicated "third-party" GoZ for Softimage seems to be in the works.
("Rumor" based on this thread)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 03 Jan 2012, 12:40

Hirazi Blue wrote:From what I understand from the Mailing List: a dedicated "third-party" GoZ for Softimage seems to be in the works.
("Rumor" based on this thread)
I missed that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 Jan 2012, 18:24

I really appreciate community effort, but the big company indifference (pixologic and autodesk itself) for softimage remains tangible.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Jan 2012, 18:57

afaik, GoZ for 3d Studio Max is also product of community, which probably means there is no member of zBrush team, experienced with Max, too.
If there is any relation, that would be Mudbox, hardly AD will help to competitors, as they already have app in same class. Imagine AD support for AVID Softimage crosswalk... I can't.

origin

Post by origin » 03 Jan 2012, 19:04

Is this as 'useful' as Send to max/mudbox?

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 04 Jan 2012, 02:55

They may have Goz but they still have to use Lightwave so we win :-)

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 Jan 2012, 09:45

They may have Goz but they still have to use Lightwave so we win :-)
:D :D Poor Lightwave... :)
Is this as 'useful' as Send to max/mudbox?
Don't know, I think is some approach: GoZ aromatically transfer data (geo, texture, correct displacement and normal) from Zbrush to other software, also, you can adjust topology on you application and update with a click geo in zbrush. Very fast and work correctly in modo.
afaik, GoZ for 3d Studio Max is also product of community, which probably means there is no member of zBrush team, experienced with Max, too.
I remember Pixologic publicized GoZ for max before release 4 like preview, so I think no, it is not a community work but was development by Pixologic itself.
If there is any relation, that would be Mudbox, hardly AD will help to competitors, as they already have app in same class. Imagine AD support for AVID Softimage crosswalk... I can't.
Agree

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 19 Jan 2012, 11:55

Considering the performance of the main program i.e version 10.1 itself is abysmal, GoZ would be quite useless if performance remains the the same with version 11. Right now it takes a long time to even import an obj. And Catmull-Clark Sub-D Type takes forever to Sub-D the object. I got tired of waiting and had to kill the process when it failed to Sub-D 670605 faces.
LOL.

Although Mr.Powers did mention that they have improved those in Lightwave 11. I like competition so I wish them luck.

VPR is really great. Wish Softimage had something like that :)) Please modernize Softimage viewport this time.

Want to hear something funny? LW can't undo in the dopesheet. OUCH!!! Only way is to reopen the file in Layout again =))

Kerro Perro

Post by Kerro Perro » 23 Jan 2012, 20:30

I've just been using GoSoftLite wich only sends the mesh back and forth but since i like to connect my maps by hand anyway i find it works just fine!

I frankly don't like those automated setups like with "send to Mudbox", you just end up with Render Tree clutter :-l

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 23 Jan 2012, 20:38

Considering the performance of the main program i.e version 10.1 itself is abysmal, GoZ would be quite useless if performance remains the the same with version 11. Right now it takes a long time to even import an obj. And Catmull-Clark Sub-D Type takes forever to Sub-D the object. I got tired of waiting and had to kill the process when it failed to Sub-D 670605 faces.
LOL.

Although Mr.Powers did mention that they have improved those in Lightwave 11. I like competition so I wish them luck.

VPR is really great. Wish Softimage had something like that :)) Please modernize Softimage viewport this time.

Want to hear something funny? LW can't undo in the dopesheet. OUCH!!! Only way is to reopen the file in Layout again =))
:))

I found many XSI users has a denigratory attitude regards LW... why?

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 25 Jan 2012, 08:56

Nizar wrote:
LOL.

:))

I found many XSI users has a denigratory attitude regards LW... why?
Sorry if my comment was harmful in any way. But isn't it true? I can't undo in the dopesheet more than once that too will only work, if the last deleted key is still selected. If it's unselected there's no way to go back except for reopening the file. BTW I am spending about 7 hrs for the past 5 - 6 days learning Ligthwave.
Last edited by Caveman on 25 Jan 2012, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 25 Jan 2012, 09:18

Why are you learning Lightwave if you dont mind me asking???

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 25 Jan 2012, 09:23

No problem for me Caveman, only my curiosity, because I seen many XSI user have a very critic opinion about Lightwave.