SI Technology Previews

News concerning 3D DCC business
ActionArt

Re: SI Technology Previews

Post by ActionArt » 02 Mar 2012, 21:25

I can't imagine why Dassault would have any interest. It's not their business at all. I think Autodesk was the best solution for SI. I'm not an AD fan but just being a part of AD has given SI a far better foundation and made it a much more legitimate solution for most studios. If we want to talk about bad marketing, look back at Avid! They almost completely ran it into the ground!

(On a completely different topic, I wish the F@#$%g Avid Media Composer programmers had learned something from SI while they were there but they didn't. It's a wretched thing compared to SI but I have to use it from time to time. OK, enough ranting.)

Just being part of AD, like it or not, has given SI a boost and AD has very cleverly packaged it with other suites so that it ends up in the hands of people who will likely test it if they have it. That may be the best marketing yet. All the splashy website and print ads do very little IMO as far as actual sales. Studio heads know about it and will test it as needed. That's all you can do!

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 02 Mar 2012, 21:29

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/graham/s ... sneak_peak am I too late?

I did not see anybody posting this here... yet
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 02 Mar 2012, 21:36

Ps1: Looks much better in context Bellsey, nicely done video :)
Ps2: Click and drag re-ordering is great. Maybe we can see it used elsewhere in the software. I particularly would like having it on the exposed ports of compounds, as they now are a pain to reorder...
Ps3: There is an easter egg... you can read Crowds inbetween Conversion and Curves in the list of ICE Nodes (2:20)... Oops (of course this coud always be justa a plugin or somebodys custom compounds)
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Mar 2012, 22:07

gustavoeb wrote:There is an easter egg...
And it's not even the first time this happened: something similar happened almost a year ago.
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 22:17

Thanks Gustavo, I'm impressed...

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 03 Mar 2012, 00:37

gustavoeb wrote:Ps1: Looks much better in context Bellsey, nicely done video :)
This is what I had originally intended but thought that seperate videos might work better, but after peoples comments I though it better to go back and do this single video instead. The text could be clearer, but I am only using Camtesia Studio for quickness.

Memag

Post by Memag » 03 Mar 2012, 03:23

gustavoeb wrote:Ps1: Looks much better in context Bellsey, nicely done video :)
Ps2: Click and drag re-ordering is great. Maybe we can see it used elsewhere in the software. I particularly would like having it on the exposed ports of compounds, as they now are a pain to reorder...
Ps3: There is an easter egg... you can read Crowds inbetween Conversion and Curves in the list of ICE Nodes (2:20)... Oops (of course this coud always be justa a plugin or somebodys custom compounds)
Might be a coincidence,and probably interesting to some, but in the Exocortex Alembic plugin info,they calim they have tested it with
  • Exocortex Momentum (rigid bodies, soft bodies, ropes)
    Exocortex ImplosiaFX (ICE modelling)
    Exocortex Species (animated meshes)
    Exocortex SlipstreamVX (points)
    Polygonizer / Mootzoid emPolygonizer (meshes)
    Lagoa Multiphysics (points)
    ICE-based Crowd Simulators (meshes)
Exocortex Alembic page

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Mar 2012, 08:01

I really hope that these little UI/interaction improvements (I wouldn't call adding 3dsmax nav mode improvement, but I digress) are the tip of a huge ICEberg.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 03 Mar 2012, 08:49

@Graham Bell While on the subject, heres something annoying but probably very easy to fix:

when Active Geo color is set to black, the text in explorer is unreadable
piccolorblack.png
piccolorblack.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 852 times
Maybe too late now, maybe not.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 03 Mar 2012, 10:54

I've been incredibly annoyed by the view zooming waaaaaaay out to show the entire ICE tree after coming back from inside a compound. ICE trees now remember their view position after being inside a compound, this is a hugely welcome improvement!

Ramon

Post by Ramon » 03 Mar 2012, 11:20

duplicate operators and copy/paste from one to other!!! simple things like copy deformers in max. realy nessesary thing.

luceric

Post by luceric » 03 Mar 2012, 14:31

bottleofram wrote:@Graham Bell While on the subject, heres something annoying but probably very easy to fix:

when Active Geo color is set to black, the text in explorer is unreadable
piccolorblack.png
Maybe too late now, maybe not.
you can off showing the wire color in scene explorer, if you're using colors that don't work.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 03 Mar 2012, 15:02

No, no, thats not it. Active geo names are always displayed black. Its just a problem when you set your active geo wires black as well (by default they are yellow).

Sensible thing would have been to make soft look at preferences, see what is set for Selected>Active Geometry and display inverted value for names when selected geo is active...

Hey, i didnt say its a huge deal but the video says "small annoying things about UI"... :|

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 04 Mar 2012, 20:52

590e1 :D Easter egg @ xsisupport.com

origin

Post by origin » 04 Mar 2012, 20:56

serial no. is still readable ;]

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 05 Mar 2012, 15:34

I thought this was funny, as I look around in various forums that talk about all the latest versions of software that have come out this year, a familiar name keeps popping up, one that I'm pleasantly surprised to see...."Softimage".

In Houdini, they complain how Softimage has better CPU utilization. In Modo, they complain that ICE is a better platform than the hierarchical approach.

Cant wait to see what Autodesk has cooked up for SI 2013 and what the community will be saying then. /:)