What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 13:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
61%
Blender
6%
Houdini
13%
Modo
2%
Other
4%

Total votes: 96

Falam

What if Softimage died?

Post by Falam » 23 Sep 2013, 13:10

What if Autodesk stopped Softimage, what would you do ? I created a poll for those who rather vote.

Moderator edit: changed the title to something potentially less provocative, I hope - HB

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Sep 2013, 14:45

I voted "other" as I plan to take up finger painting in such a case, probably not switching to another 3D software.
But probably option 2 first, finger painting later...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Sep 2013, 16:33

Until Softimage is great keep using it. New compounds appear and you can do your own ones. Besides hardware will improve and only that will even make easier to do great work.

luceric

Post by luceric » 23 Sep 2013, 16:35

I think switching to Maya or switching to Max are two different decisions, imho, though I guess there the point here is to bring out the "dump autodesk" in people ;) b-( (plus isn't there the whole "do I get a free crossgrade?" issue)

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 23 Sep 2013, 16:47

I'd keep using it for another 2 years or so, then probably go Houdini+Modo or something.

gdebello

Post by gdebello » 23 Sep 2013, 18:22

I would use Houdini for everything but modeling. Houdini modeling tools are lacking, Softimage have very strong tools Imho.

Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 23 Sep 2013, 19:23

I am already going to C4D ...
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 23 Sep 2013, 19:26

Its already dead, its just people refuse to believe it :)

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 23 Sep 2013, 20:37

A useful tool can't be dead. It's the wrong word to use.
Poorly developed maybe but even if it's not developed at all, SI still has great advantages in certain areas that put it ahead until the competition catch up, or it becomes unsupported by hardware or operating systems. Personally, I'm not tempted to switch to anything . Houdini is a nice idea, but from my limited research it seems too involved and hence slow to get a similar effect than ICE (in deformation rigs). Maya is a complete no-go.
without ICE however, then I can understand why some might be tempted to bite the bullet and move on. However, the non linear workflow in itself would prevent me from doing that.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 23 Sep 2013, 20:40

Its already dead
Zombimage :D
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

brudney

Post by brudney » 23 Sep 2013, 22:25

maya + modo/c4d

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 24 Sep 2013, 07:07

...the problem is, there is no real alternative to XSI right now. Workflowwise I think it is the most logic and straight forward tool out there. In my eyes, nothing comes close and 98% of the time the tools do what they are supposed to do...nore Maya or Modo convinces me, C4d or Blender either...Houdini might be an alternative for FX, but for general work it won´t for me...
I decided that this year will be last year on subscription for me, if the "development" is still that lame next year...so Soft will remain in my toolbox for long, but I honestly don´t know where to head in the future...

cheers,
oli

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 24 Sep 2013, 12:20

owei wrote:...the problem is, there is no real alternative to XSI right now. Workflowwise I think it is the most logic and straight forward tool out there. In my eyes, nothing comes close and 98% of the time the tools do what they are supposed to do...nore Maya or Modo convinces me, C4d or Blender either...Houdini might be an alternative for FX, but for general work it won´t for me...
I decided that this year will be last year on subscription for me, if the "development" is still that lame next year...so Soft will remain in my toolbox for long, but I honestly don´t know where to head in the future...

cheers,
oli
Quote all you said. At the moment I just using blender and modo for render capabilities alongside softimage. Modelling, rigging and animation (I doing simple animation) done in softimage.

Softimage is IMO the last generalist software, very capable in every field. Houdini is not a viable alternative for me (expensive and also a horrible modelling toolset), modo modelling is too convulsed and not so wise as softimage (a separate tool for proportional move, another for proportional scale and another one for proportional rotation, a single tool for add a point inside a edge (!) etc. etc. so you continuously click inside interface and viewport). Blender is very nice, need to improve a bit (viewport perfomace, streamline a bit the workflow and some bits here and there), rigging in blender is very similar to softiamge. Blender actually grow constantly, Valve financed blender, so blender foundation hire two new developers (and from today now are 6 full time developers), so I bet can be a viable alternative in a near future like generalist software (in my field I mean, probably a TD will find it very basic).

IMO, many td will move on houdini and also fabric engine (why is not contemplated in your pool?).

I'm pretty sure I'll not buy another ADSK software (if not forced). No more money to ADSK

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 24 Sep 2013, 13:17

I don't check up on this forum as often as I should but whenever I do there is always a thread like this going.

Is this the place where old Softimage users come to die?

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 24 Sep 2013, 13:37

SamHowell wrote:Is this the place where old Softimage users come to die?
:) Yes, seems all us are defeatist, but this is not only softimage users perception, everywhere (I mean others forums) softimage is considered dead or near death. This perception due bad marketing done by ADSK, a totally wrong management, a real shame for a so good software.
I can understood they have their idea and strong reason about, want push maya, maya lt and maya fx and maya whatelse, but this don't cage the idea softimage users are not happy about the actual development.

Falam

Post by Falam » 24 Sep 2013, 15:14

owei wrote:...the problem is, there is no real alternative to XSI right now. Workflowwise I think it is the most logic and straight forward tool out there. In my eyes, nothing comes close and 98% of the time the tools do what they are supposed to do...nore Maya or Modo convinces me, C4d or Blender either...Houdini might be an alternative for FX, but for general work it won´t for me...

cheers,
oli
I couldn't have said it any better. I to would follow this route, then eventually switching over to Maya most likely, atleast we are all aware of it's flaws over time :)

I don't foresee 3rd party developers halting development for Soft even if Autodesk killed it off, I believe that will continue, at or near the same pace as it has been going. The plus side is ICE, which is what will keep Soft alive for a while after it's death. Soft has reached a point whereas alot of users, not all, probably a quarter of the users, purchase one license copy not an ongoing subscription basis. Besides ask yourself, can you do any less with 2013 as you can with 2014 ? 2015 remains to be seen. It's not uncommon even in Studios to find them using Maya 2012, instead of the latest version, due to cost etc.

Why I strongly stress, Autodesk reduce the cost of Softimage, compared to the cost of Maya, it's any wonder they released Maya LT. They could sell more licenses, including one time licenses.