Coping with the "depression"

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
grendizer

Re: Coping with the "depression"

Post by grendizer » 23 May 2014, 12:23

I'm starting to roam the Houdini forums but I still feel part of the Softimage family. My avatar on the Houdini forum is a Softimage flag. :-bd

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 May 2014, 15:37

SamHowell wrote:I assume everyone has gone into survival mode and are eagerly scouring other forums and documents, desperately trying to make a decision on what to do with their future. Once that process is over a lot of people will still be using Softimage for the next few years and so will drift back with all the usual question and answers.
That sounds plausible. Problem is: will the community survive long enough for people to remember to return to it? ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 23 May 2014, 16:55

Hirazi Blue wrote:That sounds plausible. Problem is: will the community survive long enough for people to remember to return to it? ;)
The forum will survive if it can offer something more than just Softimage information. I see regular postings about general 3D news on this forum and that is what will keep it alive.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 May 2014, 17:29

I am actually more worried about the trained monkeys who maintain this site… :D
Keeping the site alive isn’t too big of a hassle, but this being a “labor of love” the motivation to keep on going is key.
And that, sadly and purely IMHO, is the tough part ATM.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 23 May 2014, 17:35

I propose to rename the forum into soya-community.de and run it as a dual SI and M forum. : )

There is noticeably less traffic here since the bad news. I guess to keep the community alive depends on attracting new users and find common ways to escape the disaster. If everybody just goes his/her own ways, for sure the community won't last very much longer. Although this al sucks big time, there's also a chance to come up with something which wouldn't have crossed our minds otherwise.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 23 May 2014, 17:41

Or even better: Soya Fabric!

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 23 May 2014, 17:53

I guess a rebrand of the forum may give it all a new lease of life.

In years to come there will always be a pool of 3D artists that spent their formative years using Softimage. The forum needs to stay relevant to them even after they stop using it.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 23 May 2014, 18:15

How about a new forum section called 'Transitioning' with sections titled 'Maya', 'Houdini', 'Modo' etc.?

In these new forums people could discuss the software they are trying out or transitioning to, giving their opinions and asking questions from a Softimage users point of view!

I for one would find this interesting and useful!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 23 May 2014, 18:34

I guess the sections make sense now, but in 1 year they are obsolete. In case this may become a multi-software forum, there is the need to treat all packages equally. But this is really up to the ones who run this forum.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 23 May 2014, 19:18

Pancho wrote:I guess the sections make sense now, but in 1 year they are obsolete. In case this may become a multi-software forum, there is the need to treat all packages equally. But this is really up to the ones who run this forum.
I get your point, but I don't fully agree! We are not all going to be transitioned over within a year. Some of us may not even start the transition process for a year or more.

And if this becomes a multi-platform forum, would that be a bad thing? After having a search around there doesn't seem to be any Maya forums with a 'community' feel like this one, and whilst the official Houdini forum seems friendly enough, there aren't many alternatives!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 23 May 2014, 20:42

Hey! Well, in fact our beloved XSI is doomed and its just a matter of time until it drops into being pointless runing just a softimage community. So, in fact, keeping the good mood and friendliness in this forum and offer transition forums is not a bad idea. Why not. At least the good spirit might live on and helps people to come forward. I'll think about it ;-)

Cheers,
oli

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 23 May 2014, 21:35

I think "doomed" can be all relative (to us)

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 24 May 2014, 09:41

...well, of course...but the day will come that XSI won´t run a future hardware or a future operating system...and no one will be able fix that ...thanks again, AD 8-x

forton

Post by forton » 24 May 2014, 12:17

My vote for a multiplatform forum.
You can just try for starters with a maya and houdini section.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 24 May 2014, 14:51

You may find now software specific sections in the the "Migration" forum.
We will see how this develops ;)

cheers,
oli