License question

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
druitre

License question

Post by druitre » 01 Mar 2010, 15:15

Hello, i know i should ask this at the Area, but pfff... I still hate Autodesk....

I'm on 7.01, licensed with a key and dongle. Can I install my copy on another computer, plugin the dongle and run XSI there using the same license key? (Of course only one copy would be running at a time) Does anyone have experience doing this and does it involve timeconsuming swapping/re-registration of license each time I switch machines? I'd be doing it on a daily basis, so it would have to be pretty transparant in order te be an option.

cheers,
Jasper

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: License question

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Mar 2010, 15:31

For a dongle-based XSI 7.01 I foresee no problems with simply plugging the dongle into the new PC.
Take good care of your dongle, however, as it is my experience, it breaks easier than you might think!!! ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 01 Mar 2010, 15:38

Ah, sounds good. I was worried the key might be tied to computer MAC or IP address.

Jasper

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Mar 2010, 15:48

If you have a dongle at the moment, then your license "keys" file is "probably" dongle-based...
The only GOTCHA I can think of, is that a fresh install on the new machine sets the license manager to "SLP" (non-dongle licensing) by default, as far as I can remember, and thus not accepting your license "keys" file... This can luckily be easily fixed by manual resetting this in the license manager...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 01 Mar 2010, 15:59

Everything Hirazi Blue wrote is correct.

If you have a dongle, and your SPM License Manager shows that Server Type = SI0, then your license is tied to the dongle.

A dongle-based license is tied to the unique ID of the dongle. You can use your license on any computer that can connect to the machine where the dongle is plugged in.

By default, the SPM License Manager is installed in "no-dongle" aka SLP mode. In the License Manager menu bar, click Server > Change Server Type to SI0 to switch to dongle licensing mode.

druitre

Post by druitre » 01 Mar 2010, 18:31

@ Both: yes, I noticed that a while back after upgrading to win7... keys were not accepted until I switched to SI0. Good point to remember when doing a fresh install. I tend to do that a lot, I hate windows. Windows7 a little bit less than Vista, which I hated totally. (apart from that, I'm a very loving guy)