Human Head Experiment

Comments on work in progress
shushens

Re: Human Head Experiment

Post by shushens » 05 Mar 2010, 10:56

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (161.18 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Before ear stitching, I have reworked the jawline again. I initially did think the jawline approach makes sense, but I could not back it up. While modelling the ear, it suddenly came to me. Now if you look at the flow, it makes a lot of sense. By pushing and pulling certain edge loops, it is very easy to control all the prime contours of the face now. A second pole close to the ear was inevitable. By this approach it came forward a little perhaps. But sometimes when you look at a mesh, you feel like you dig it. Now I feel that way about this :)
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2010, 11:02

How do you plan to solve the connection of the "lower res" head to the "higher res" (as in: more points and edges) ear, while attempting to keep everything as "quad" as possible? ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

craft

Post by craft » 05 Mar 2010, 14:03

:) looking really really good mate!

don't worry too much about those poles and ngons. they were invented to be used, as everything. As long as they're not in critical areas, i think their ok.
Besides, Softimage actually handles those very well in sub-d's, unlike LW and Modo.

shushens

Post by shushens » 07 Mar 2010, 08:53

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (37.45 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Trying to get the Sternocleidomastoid and the collarbone right. Never done this before, obviously, so not feeling very confident about it :P
Yesterday I spent a lot of time sleeping, so progress is slow. Will try to make up for it today hehehe

Many many thanks to you both, Tiago and Hirazi. I go to so many forums. But there is nothing like a Softimage community :D
And about the smoothing thing, I totally agree, needless to mention :) While most softwares focus on cool factor and loads of new plugins, developers at Softimage always pay attention to internal stability and optimized algorithms.
Attachments
shoulder_attempt.rar
(39.3 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2010, 09:27

Impressive!!! :-bd
Could you add one side view though? I would really like to see the way you connected the ear...
I don't even know what a "Sternocleidomastoid" is,
maybe that's why my own human head experiments always turn out so bad... =))

shushens

Post by shushens » 07 Mar 2010, 12:38

LOL I haven't done the stitching yet. I wanna finish everything else before I attempt that :)
Working on the top of the head now.
Sternocleidomastoid is the long muscle that begins behind the lobule of the ear and comes down diagonally to the beginning of the collar bone.
Sternocleidomastoideus.png
Sternocleidomastoideus.png (197.17 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
:)

shushens

Post by shushens » 07 Mar 2010, 20:17

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (205.46 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
So I have completed the cage. Now I could proceed with ear stitching. But I would very much love to know before that if the head is at all looking feminine. So far I have been trying to follow reference images to a T. But when the priliminaries are done, of course it needs be tweaked further to emphasize certain features better. Any suggestion on that would be greatly appreciated.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2010, 20:25

I must admit there is a slight tendency towards the not totally female, :D
but IMHO only in the side view & I cannot really say why (and how to fix it).
Strangely I find the wireframes are more convincing than the shaded images... ;)

Looking at the shaded one some more, the chin/jaw area in the side view looks less fluently curved as one would expect...

shushens

Post by shushens » 07 Mar 2010, 22:08

Ear stitching has been done. And yes I agree about that. The plain shaded view is an inaccurate representation, I think. But cheeks need more work. I wish I knew Anatomy better to understand what is wrong. Just like you, I also can't put my finger on it.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (222.28 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Play with the mesh if you like. Maybe you will come up with a way to make it look more feminine and beautiful? :D
Attachments
ear_stitched.rar
(91.98 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Mar 2010, 22:29

shushens wrote: Play with the mesh if you like. Maybe you will come up with a way to make it look more feminine and beautiful? :D
I wouldn't dare... :D
Excellent work, nonetheless... :-bd
I agree about the cheeks, they could be slightly "fuller"
I've attempted an arrow pointing at another part that somehow "bothers" me...
arrowed.jpg

craft

Post by craft » 08 Mar 2010, 00:21

I think this would be a very good time to start tweaking this on a sculture approach, because it'd take you a lot of time punching vertices. a different approach would help you keep your sanity and a clear perspective over what you're doing. but don't crank up the subdivision level just yet, untill you feel confident with the general shape.
there's a few things that'd definitely make it look more feminine, like those Hirazi said. But you know... i just saw a photo my sister shot of a guy from behind, because he totally looked like a girl... your reference girl, though, actually does look like a very beautiful woman, yes ;)

What is it that you do in 3d more often, really? because you Are doing very well for someone who's not so experienced at character modeling.

shushens

Post by shushens » 08 Mar 2010, 03:39

Many thanks again to you both :D
Yes, feminine jaws should not have such hard slope and cheeks should be fuller and there should be a more pronounced depression under the middle part of the lower lip. There are many other things I see too. I am just not entirely sure how to fix them.

So how about showing us some of your experimental heads, Hirazi? I know you always try to be one step ahead of perfect, so maybe seeing them will give me some ideas? ;)

Tiago, I am a (broke) Texturing/Lighting artist :P . I mostly do environments when I get the chance (which I don't get very often). My portfolio link is in my signature. I am not very proud of all of those, but some of them, yes.

Jonathan Williamson and me are friends. Sometimes we talk about Anatomy and organic modelling. Also I have another friend Kristopher Lee, who is a character animator in Maya. He has shown me quite a bit of the basic techniques. Other than that, I just try to keenly observe every wireframe I find. Apparently, that was not good enough. But I am happy I have made some progress.

I have zero experience in character modelling. I only modelled 3-4 human heads before, all of which I had to reject because they had a lot of polygons, but no definitive form.

What sculpting brush should I typically use to add/remove flesh volume from human body? Inflate?

craft

Post by craft » 08 Mar 2010, 09:07

naaa you got a good anatomy understanding.
shushens wrote:Many thanks again to you both :D
What sculpting brush should I typically use to add/remove flesh volume from human body? Inflate?
I don't know! :)) i don't sculpt that much and when i do, i use a lot of different tools, like the move and pinch ("fold", in Modo, i think), push, smooth, and sometimes inflate...

man, you got a vast skill set! i wish i knew how to code some stuff in c++ .. isn't it usually easier to get a job and have a decent wage as a programmer than in the CG arts?
Anyways, don't give up, turn that talent into welfare! Some of your environments looked really nice, like the first one and the green bike, and you're doing well with this moustache-lady head, i think! i remember showing the doors scenario to a friend some time ago; we really liked them! I'm not as fond of the darker, sadder ones.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 08 Mar 2010, 10:04

shushens wrote: So how about showing us some of your experimental heads, Hirazi? I know you always try to be one step ahead of perfect, so maybe seeing them will give me some ideas? ;)
=)) =)) =))
...by which I mean: my talents lie so far outside of 3D, that I really wouldn't dare posting any of my "work" here. Maybe once this community really doesn't generate any hits any more, I'll secretly post one (and only under an assumed name...)
I'm merely THAT annoying moderator with an opinion on everything... :D

No, in my opinion, your "human head experiment" has more than succeeded, expecially considering your "zero experience in character modelling"... :-bd

shushens

Post by shushens » 11 Mar 2010, 15:02

Sorry for the delay folks! You haven't given up on me, I hope!

I have noticed sometimes the YouTube view does not load here properly, so for such cases, here is the link:

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT_Pbz4cq5w
I have done some subtle sculpting. To me, it looks slightly more feminine, but nothing very beautiful still.

Moderator edit: The YouTube tags work, but only if you just provide the YouTube ID between the tags, i.e the part after "watch?v=". - HB :D
Attachments
minor_sculpting.rar
(65.68 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

shushens

Post by shushens » 12 Mar 2010, 07:50

Thank you Hirazi :D

I think I have been tinkering with this for too long. It has reached a sort of stagnation. I can't seem to be making much improvement any more.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (246.17 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
So I think it's time to move on to UVs and then texturing/shading.

What say?