verts suddenly move out of place

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Shredder565

verts suddenly move out of place

Post by Shredder565 » 06 May 2016, 03:54

How come when I weld verts, other verts suddenly move out of place?

There are no envelope weights, or shape weights to make it move out of place. usually that's when it happens.
and i've frozen the model since. highly annoying.

gaboraa

Re: verts suddenly move out of place

Post by gaboraa » 06 May 2016, 08:40

Do you use any modelling plugin? For example when I use MX roundish or Taut tool, this happens some times when modeling stack gets populated.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 06 May 2016, 09:39

Symmetry on by mistake?

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 07 May 2016, 00:51

nope to both questions sadly.

I checked Symetry and it was off. I checked and unchecked other buttons, and nothing.
and now softimage 2014 is doing it on other scenes too, making it impossible to model properly.

So, I un installed and am reinstalling it now.

thankfully I have access to the educational software considering i am still learning..maybe I should finally upgrade to 2015. But the last time I tried it, it didn't work too great a year ago.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 07 May 2016, 01:22

still no luck with a reinstall.. this is kind of what it does. verts go all out of place when adding lines or welding lines.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 07 May 2016, 19:00

Unfortunately, I haven't seen such a thing before.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 08 May 2016, 00:05

I was able to reproduce this kind of bugged surface.(like in video)
Basically verts appear elsewhere when you try to draw on a polygon that is somehow already wrong or too complex.

You can see what is wrong after adding the bugged components, if you select this single polygon that got bugged (with polygon selection) , for example in my case i found that the polygon was flooding" in a nearby polygon, and it was actually one on top of the other. (because of too much freestyle painting, it got bugged)

If you want to fix your actual mesh without loosing it, delete all polygons that messing out with each other or seem wrong, and recreate them (with create polygon tool) but this time split the polygon in more parts, split in more parts is the key, try to preserve a topology that is "doable".

By doable i mean easy for the triangulator to not make mistakes.
make sure you avoid creating complex polygons, always try to keep a basic topology, you got to help the triangulating engine work properly.
---
The most simple case for the triangulator is a polygon with one of its vertexes that can "see" all outer vertexes in same polygon. Of course this rule might be too much. Cause triangulator can use more than one verts ,but is easy rule to remember and can keep you away from getting into more trouble.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 31 May 2016, 10:24

gaboraa wrote:Do you use any modelling plugin? For example when I use MX roundish or Taut tool, this happens some times when modeling stack gets populated.
What's the Taut tool ?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 31 May 2016, 11:38

Taut
Taut is a C++ modelling operator for straightening edges. It features an intelligent algorithm that searches your current selection for distinct lines, which allows multiple edges to be straightened at once. It also features three modes of operation that provide different ways of distributing the vertices along the lines.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!