Softimage Nvidia Flex

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Flex to SiAuthor: mr_alca @si-community
updated March 2023 — (from the zip's readme) Flex to Si is a connector to Flex (NVidia's hardware accelerated physics framework). Not all flex features are enabled, only calculation of fluids and their collision with static and dynamic geometry.

Installation : put in the same directory e.g. c:\Users\alex\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_R2-SP2\Application\Plugins\nt-x86-64\flextest\ Needs DirectX!!!

Configurable parameters include (see the archive readme for some more explanation): Fluid Mode, Max Particles, Substeps, NumIterations, Speed, Max Particle Speed, Fluid Resolution Multiplier, Fluid resolution, Collision distace, Rest offset, Shape collision margin, Particle collision margin, World Gravity, Adhesion Strength, Cohesion Force, Surface Tension, Viscosity, Vorticity, Dynamic Friction, Static Friction, Particle Friction, Drag, Lift, Damping, Static triangle mesh, Static SDF mesh, Kinematic substeps, Kinematic triangle mesh, Plane Null, Use Ground Plane.

local backup: flex_to_xsi_2.06_1_17_2023.zip

Comments on work in progress
mr_alca

Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex

Post by mr_alca » 04 Aug 2023, 23:24

The dll libraries from 2.06 are relatively new and they don't work with PCTools. PCTools uses older dll versions. In fact, the PCTools build was just missing a few dlls. This may be because the author of PCTools had a C++ project configured so that not all the necessary libraries were in one place (like mine).

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 05 Aug 2023, 23:43

mr_alca wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 23:24 The dll libraries from 2.06 are relatively new and they don't work with PCTools. PCTools uses older dll versions. In fact, the PCTools build was just missing a few dlls. This may be because the author of PCTools had a C++ project configured so that not all the necessary libraries were in one place (like mine).
Ah !
I thought you were saying the opposite !
( that pcTools worked by adding 2.06 dlls to it's folder )
mr_alca wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 22:42 I tried this installation method, I succeeded. I also realized that PCTools is not compatible with my Flex_To_Si_2.05 plugin, but everything works perfectly when with the flex_to_xsi_2.06 plugin version.
so if I got you right, flex 2.06 can be installed concurrently with PCTools that has flex 2.05 DLL's added to it ?

I didn't try reinstalling Flex after uninstalling everything Flex related, and installing PcTools,
so I'll try to reinstall Flex 2.06

mr_alca

Post by mr_alca » 06 Aug 2023, 23:08

FXDude wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 23:43 so if I got you right, flex 2.06 can be installed concurrently with PCTools that has flex 2.05 DLL's added to it ?
Yes, that's right.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Aug 2023, 22:16

mr_alca wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 23:08 Yes, that's right.
Hi Mr.Alca,

I can corroborate / confirm everything that you said !

So if anybody wants, here's a pcTools
( with all required DLL libraries & "VizUpdated" sample scenes )
also along with latest flexFluids 2.06
( all working without having to mess-around copying files )

pcTools-with-Flex-2.06.zip
       ( extract in your "Addons" folder, and the samples where you want )

And here's also some documentation for Flex itself,

https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... anual.html

... and 1.10 + 1.20 release notes

https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... notes.html

Fluids in 1.20 ( the version in SItoFlex 2.06 ) should have more reliable deforming obstacles, and other things. ( if exposed )

Cheers !

grifgont

Post by grifgont » 15 Aug 2023, 17:53

FXDude wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 22:16
mr_alca wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 23:08 Yes, that's right.
Hi Mr.Alca,

I can corroborate / confirm everything that you said !

So if anybody wants, here's a pcTools
( with all required DLL libraries & "VizUpdated" sample scenes )
also along with latest flexFluids 2.06
( all working without having to mess-around copying files )

pcTools-with-Flex-2.06.zip
       ( extract in your "Addons" folder, and the samples where you want )

And here's also some documentation for Flex itself,

https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... anual.html

... and 1.10 + 1.20 release notes

https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... notes.html

Fluids in 1.20 ( the version in SItoFlex 2.06 ) should have more reliable deforming obstacles, and other things. ( if exposed )

Cheers !
Thanks again!

SitoH

Post by SitoH » 31 Aug 2023, 16:23

Hi,

I need some help.. :ympray:
I'm trying to simplify (sort of) the SItoFlex scenes Pedrito gave us and I'm stuck animating a pin constraint with a cloth or softbody. I'm looking for something similar to XSI's Syflex constraints.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Thx!

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 12 Sep 2023, 21:47

SitoH wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 16:23 Hi,

I need some help.. :ympray:
I'm trying to simplify (sort of) the SItoFlex scenes Pedrito gave us and I'm stuck animating a pin constraint with a cloth or softbody. I'm looking for something similar to XSI's Syflex constraints.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Thx!
Hi !
sorry about the delay, I found where the pins were defined in the "FLEX_POURING_CLOTH.scn" sample scene ,
---> by a weightmap on the cloth modeling stack
but couldn't find where they were referenced-back in !

Yet I eventually found the weightmap reference in the "PC_Flex Object Data to Array" node in the pointcloud modeling stack
( see selected nodes in picture )

So to animate pins ... the weightmap could perhaps be defined by little spheres that set weightmap values to 1 for the points inside the spheres ?

It also goes without saying that the node setups for "multiphysics" can be somewhat more involving relative to the very simple "flexToXSI" single node for fluids,
yet also aren't -that- bad to figure-out.

In any event, let us know, & cheers !

SitoH

Post by SitoH » 29 Oct 2023, 10:56

Hi FXDude,
Thanks a lot for the tips. I've had quite a busy time and haven't had time to do any more research.
Thank you very much once again for the answer. I'll be back as soon as I find something :-B