S-USD

Shekn

S-USD

Post by Shekn » 29 May 2020, 18:57

S-USD is an addon, which allows to export and to import *.usd files from and into Softimage. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/usdPage.html

Roughly speaking, it supports polygon meshes, pointclouds (particle or strands), lights, cameras and animations. For each mesh it can import/export normals, uvs, vertex colors, weightmaps, edge and vertex creases, clusters. For particles it import/export only point positions and radii.

The addon is based on the Python API, and that's why it works slowly on big scenes. Here are some examples.

Scene 1: kitchen set, which is one of standard official samples. It contains 2 370 objects (1 788 polygon meshes), total 536 949 triangles. Import time is nearly 3 minutes (196 seconds). Export the same scene from Softimage to usd-file - 336 seconds.
kitchen_set_01.png
Scene 2: class room scene from Blender benchmarks. It contains 930 objects (798 polygon meshes), total 1 249 440 triangles. Import time is 101 seconds. Export from Softimage to usd-file - 580 seconds.
classroom_01.png

opoppopopp

Re: S-USD

Post by opoppopopp » 29 May 2020, 22:22

WHAT? *-:)

You really going to modernise SI at this level ?
going to test it!

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 30 May 2020, 18:19

for crossovers
blender-softimage -blender (eevee:-)

S-USD is an addon(Shekn-great person)

usd https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html
blender usd
Blender Manual 2.82
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/late ... t/usd.html

First steps with Universal Scene Description
https://code.blender.org/2019/07/first- ... scription/

youtube
Blender USD

forum
SYCles 1.9 video tutorial for Softimage
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... 801#p62801

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 31 May 2020, 13:20

opoppopopp wrote: 29 May 2020, 22:22 WHAT? *-:)

lol

you never cease to amaze shekn : )

so lots of IO possibilities!

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 31 May 2020, 15:01

FXDude wrote: 31 May 2020, 13:20
opoppopopp wrote: 29 May 2020, 22:22 WHAT? *-:)

lol

you never cease to amaze shekn : )

so lots of IO possibilities!
BTW. delta reference used to be a potential native USD alternative x_x for SI...

opoppopopp

Post by opoppopopp » 11 Sep 2022, 19:58

seems Kitchen_set_instanced.usd and PointInstancedMedCity.usd from the official sample not working?
Kitchen_set.usd works fine.
Are they supposed to not working due to some not supported things?

# File "<Script Block 2>", line 87, in USDImportCommand_Execute
# import_processor.import_usd(app, file_path, import_options, XSIUIToolkit)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\import_processor.py", line 61, in import_usd
# import_item(app, options, item, stage, app.ActiveProject2.ActiveScene.Root, progress_bar, is_root=True)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\import_processor.py", line 211, in import_item
# import_item_simple(app, options, usd_item, usd_stage, xsi_parent, progress_bar)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\import_processor.py", line 108, in import_item_simple
# new_object = emit_item(app, options, child, local_root, progress_bar)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\import_processor.py", line 132, in emit_item
# new_object = prim_camera.emit_camera(app, options, xform_name, usd_tfm, is_visible, usd_item, xsi_parent, is_simple=predefined_name is None)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\prim_camera.py", line 229, in emit_camera
# import_define_camera(app, xsi_camera, xsi_interest, usd_camera, usd_tfm, options["up_axis"])
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\prim_camera.py", line 202, in import_define_camera
# import_set_interest_at_frame(app, xsi_camera, xsi_interest, usd_focus.Get(), usd_tfm[0], up_key)
# File "C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\prim_camera.py", line 115, in import_set_interest_at_frame
# direction = utils.get_normalized(usd_tfm.GetRow(2))
# AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'GetRow'
# - [line 86 in C:\Users\Workstation\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_SP2\Application\Plugins\USDImportPlugin.py]

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 12 Sep 2022, 18:55

I am already forget how this addon is working. But I remember that it works not very well for different reasons. May be usd-format encode instances in some specific way and the addon can not properly recognize it.

I found why it fails to import Kitchen with instances. It looks like a bug in the addon, but there is a quick fix: in the file prim_mesh.py in 780 line change the second argument in the app.ApplyTopoOp function from xsi_geometry.Parent.Parent.Name to xsi_geometry.Parent.Parent.FullName + ".poly[*]" (so, change Name to FullName and add .poly[*]). Then the scene will be imported, but transforms of objects will be incorrect. And also all objects will be imported as separate objects (non-instanced).

In any case, this version of the addon is experimental and in fact should be completely rewritten. I can not understand now why the MedCity scene is fails to import.

matevil

Post by matevil » 31 Oct 2023, 11:39

hi,

firstly... thanks for sharing it. then... one user on FB page of Softimage (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Softima ... nt_mention) talked about the issues with a library of USD, is there a possibility for updating it?

thanks
Matteo

p.s: on my side working good for now

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 Nov 2023, 15:34

Can you repost the FB message here? I might be able to help. But probably not, because as mentioned in other post here, this plugin is very experimental and does not work well.

matevil

Post by matevil » 01 Nov 2023, 20:59

Shekn wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 15:34 Can you repost the FB message here? I might be able to help. But probably not, because as mentioned in other post here, this plugin is very experimental and does not work well.
sure, I add also the screenshot

" yes I'm taking about that plugin as well, but it's using an old USD library that needs to be installed as well and caused crashes for myself. Was wondering if you've done an upgrade to the source code. All good "

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 02 Nov 2023, 12:26

No, I can not do anything with the issue. If the addon is not properly loaded into Softimage, then, in most cases, some required system libraries are missing or conflict with something. If it loaded, but crashes after calling execution of some function - the it is very strange behavior, I've never met anyone like this.

matevil

Post by matevil » 02 Nov 2023, 12:38

Shekn wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:26 No, I can not do anything with the issue. If the addon is not properly loaded into Softimage, then, in most cases, some required system libraries are missing or conflict with something. If it loaded, but crashes after calling execution of some function - the it is very strange behavior, I've never met anyone like this.
OK I report it, I continued to test it on my project.

Thanks a lot for now
Matteo

I3D

Post by I3D » 13 Jan 2024, 11:07

Hey Shekn

I'm having a strange issue with S-USD and latest Sycles release. When I load S-USD it works fine but Sycles gets disabled and I cannot load it. When I go to the plugin manager I see Sycles dll is invalid. Only when removing S-USD I can load sycles again. Any idea why this conflict might happen?

Happy New Year BTW :)

Cheers

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 14 Jan 2024, 07:34

It looks like both addons require the same pre-compiled library, but with different versions. The S-USD loads first and loads the required library. Then Sycles loads, sees that the required library is already loaded and tries to use it, but it requires a different version and fails. Both addons are quite complex. The cores are developed by Pixar and Blender, and of course they do not coordinate which versions of libraries they use. So the only solution is to use the addons separately.

rray

Post by rray » 14 Jan 2024, 16:51

It might be possible to edit either the blender or the pixar dll in a hex editor to change one of the reference to the conflicting dll eg. search for **conflict.dll** and edit it to **conflic2.dll** (same byte length) , then rename one of the conflict.dll to conflic2.dll itself accordingly
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

I3D

Post by I3D » 19 Jan 2024, 04:50

Thanks Shekn and rray for the help. I'll try both suggestions.

Cheers