S-USD

FXDude

Re: S-USD

Post by FXDude » 24 Jan 2024, 15:58

Although it would be nice for this to get updated, ( for interop )
right now, USD is still to an extent "in shambles".

So the format(s) would probably change again and again,
and so it might not really be worth the effort, until things "stabilize" with the format(s) .

... while hoping that Shekn would still be around by then,
( if "USD standards" -ever- become "agreed upon" lol )

luceric

Post by luceric » 24 Jan 2024, 20:26

Shekn wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 07:34 It looks like both addons require the same pre-compiled library, but with different versions. The S-USD loads first and loads the required library. Then Sycles loads, sees that the required library is already loaded and tries to use it, but it requires a different version and fails. Both addons are quite complex. The cores are developed by Pixar and Blender, and of course they do not coordinate which versions of libraries they use. So the only solution is to use the addons separately.
Since your plugin is only using the python API, and therefore is protected from binary compatibility issues, it's not obvious to me why there would be a conflict. Can't the pxr python module that goes with the USD version that Sycle needs be used instead?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 03 Mar 2024, 21:34

luceric wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 20:26
Shekn wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 07:34 It looks like both addons require the same pre-compiled library, but with different versions. The S-USD loads first and loads the required library. Then Sycles loads, sees that the required library is already loaded and tries to use it, but it requires a different version and fails. Both addons are quite complex. The cores are developed by Pixar and Blender, and of course they do not coordinate which versions of libraries they use. So the only solution is to use the addons separately.
Since your plugin is only using the python API, and therefore is protected from binary compatibility issues, it's not obvious to me why there would be a conflict. Can't the pxr python module that goes with the USD version that Sycle needs be used instead?
Hi,

Is it possible that it might not even be possible to update to the latest USD libraries, since newer USD Python apis are Py3 only ?

If so, that would be because XSI is Python2.7 ---> and that would be because XSI stopped getting official updates,
just about when XSI ceased to be available as an option altogether ... ( for some reason )

And on that point, although there was likely no internal "public consultation" prior to making these decisions,
I personally wonder if there was ANY opposition to "XSI supression" from the inside (?)

Nevertheless, nice to see you around here regardless ! :ymsmug:

luceric

Post by luceric » 04 Mar 2024, 16:38

FXDude wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 21:34 And on that point, although there was likely no internal "public consultation" prior to making these decisions,
I personally wonder if there was ANY opposition to "XSI supression" from the inside (?)

Nevertheless, nice to see you around here regardless ! :ymsmug:
Just so we're clear: you are not really in a position to write these sorts of things about Softimage's end and "smug smile" any of us on the subject. My colleagues and I worked for 15 years or more on Softimage and I eventually managed the team for years. We're dozens of people who went through this, and it's a huge part of our lives. The other half of the company also saw Digital Studio ended.

You worked at Softimage in the 1990s, 25 years ago, coming to work late in the afternoon often vanishing for days or weeks until you eventually completely stopped coming to work. I remember the stench of the rotting turtle that was filling up the office because you guys had left it to die in its aquarium and the smell of death still makes me sick. I was there around the year 2000 when the pay admin had to go clean up your office after failing to reach you for weeks. I'm sure you kept all the paychecks.

The rest of us have not only been actively working in the industry for 25 years, we've founded families and done a million other things. You have had plenty of time to show the world your Softimage chops, or even learn other things, in 25 years, but you have done very little other than to insert yourself in other people's conversation.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 05 Mar 2024, 00:44

hum ... I don't know, I don't think my comments were like "personal attacks" (?), but were perhaps criticisms in regards to what eventually happened.

For example, It didn't take many talks with Marc Petit at Soft to eventually convince him that maybe the "Surface Continuity Manager" might not be the best way to go for modeling, but we had to pressure him to consider or prioritize polygon subdivisions.

And I was wondering if anyone tried to similarly reason with management,
in regards to not doing what was suppose to not be done in the first place (killing Softimage).

In 2008, I was working at Pop 6
(right besides the Autodesk building)

And I would occasionally cross paths with Marc Petit in the morning, and we would shake hands and chat.
(he use to manage me with Ghislain as QA on SI3D Particles)

But I regret not having tried to reason with him then, I truly thought XSI would at least be "maintained" even if most development efforts went on XS-ifying Maya.

Otherwise, in regards to your take about my personal details that you explicitly specified online lol ....
I left Softimage working-on texturing specs that I've been working-on (and you know this) for several weeks, if not months ..
( night and day lol ... like during "crunch time" in the "Content Group" I would literally sleep there, perhaps admitantly slightly obsessed lol )

It was like specs for a UI that would display common material and texture settings spread among multiple nodes in a single interface with a pane that would "walk through" certain nodes in a tree, a presentation made in photoshop and Front Page.

But long story short, I went into a depression as I just couldn't finish it, then working on it from home, after weeks of promises that I was "getting there", it just grew and grew, and couldn't quite face anybody after.

( also I didn't take the severance pay that was offered... and I really don't think I "profited".. )

Otherwise, Jill Isner eventually told me that they found some remnant of my work, and that the "Texture Layer editor" was suppose to address several issues including "spread-out settings" presented in my "specs". (the TLE was nice but slow to render though)

Nevertheless I worked there almost 7 years, and twas the best (and longest) job of my life
before finding only "freelance" project based positions in production
( still have dreams of working at Soft, while it doesn't even exist anymore lol )
... and regret having "blown it".

And I apologize to anyone who had to then clean-up after my mess.