Softimage Keymap for Blender

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
xsi_fanatic

Softimage Keymap for Blender

Post by xsi_fanatic » 11 Aug 2020, 19:08

Hello Softimagers !

I'm very excited to announce my thoroughly customized setup for Blender. You will feel at home now when using Blender because it feels a lot like Softimage.
There are some minor differences, because of the differences in the API of the two softwares.
Overall, I would say it is at least 80% close to the real deal, bringing you the best of both worlds.

It feels more intuitive, more logical, more authentic, and more organic overall.
Included is a detailed PDF listing the hotkeys and their functions provided in the link below.

This was created in Blender 2.83. Please give it a shot and give me with your feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JvKui7 ... sp=sharing

Enjoy !
Last edited by xsi_fanatic on 07 Sep 2020, 10:20, edited 5 times in total.

MKXSI

Re: Softimage Keymap for Blender

Post by MKXSI » 13 Aug 2020, 10:49

Hi xsi_fanatic thanks for your great job!
First thing i realized is that u cannot scroll the Outliner with the mouse center roll key.
i will continue testing....
Thanks

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 13 Aug 2020, 16:32

MKXSI wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 10:49 Hi xsi_fanatic thanks for your great job!
First thing i realized is that u cannot scroll the Outliner with the mouse center roll key.
Thanks
Hi man !

Please tell me what else is missing and I will try my best to make it happen. Is being able to scroll through the outliner a normal function in the default Blender keymap setup ?

The 2D animation keymaps also need some work. But I will get to it when I have time, which is fairly soon. Please give me more feed back of what else is missing.

Thanks,
Jason

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 14 Aug 2020, 09:57

xsi_fanatic wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 16:32
MKXSI wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 10:49 Hi xsi_fanatic thanks for your great job!
Thanks
Hi man !

Please tell me what else is missing and I will try my best to make it happen. Is being able to scroll through the outliner a normal function in the default Blender keymap setup ?

The 2D animation keymaps also need some work. But I will get to it when I have time, which is fairly soon. Please give me more feed back of what else is missing.

Thanks,
Jason
Hi Jason,
Yes i had no problem scrolling with the default Blender keymap.
Thanks

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 14 Aug 2020, 12:51

I just realized u can scroll and pan with Alt+LeftMouse :)

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 14 Aug 2020, 15:37

MKXSI wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:51 I just realized u can scroll and pan with Alt+LeftMouse :)
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I will change it to be able to scroll with wheel.

How did you find the rest of the hotkeys ? Did they work and were you able to adapt ?

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 19 Aug 2020, 14:04

MKXSI wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:51 I just realized u can scroll and pan with Alt+LeftMouse :)
I just updated the Keymaps. You can now scroll up and down with the mouse wheel in the outliner without interfering with the other 2D layouts.

I also applied Keymaps to the Grease Pencil layout in case you wanted to create 2D Animations.

Please have a look and give me your feedback.

Thanks !

XF

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 25 Aug 2020, 07:59

The keymap is great! Thank you.

I would like to ask if Blender has something similar to Softimage's Extract Polygons (delete) and Extract Polygons (keep). As for now to have same results is taking several steps in Blender. Sorry for slightly off topic question.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 25 Aug 2020, 20:27

Grubber wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 07:59 The keymap is great! Thank you.

I would like to ask if Blender has something similar to Softimage's Extract Polygons (delete) and Extract Polygons (keep). As for now to have same results is taking several steps in Blender. Sorry for slightly off topic question.
I don't think Blender has anything of that sort. The only way would be to extract selected polygons. The hotkey I assigned is Alt + J to extract delete, while J merges to separate Polygons.

If you wanted to do an extract Keep, then your best solution is to duplicate the mesh object then extract the parts that you need so that you don't damage the original mesh.

Blender's API has a lot of limitations, despite all that I'm surprised that I was still able to make it this far.

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 25 Aug 2020, 23:15

xsi_fanatic, thanks!

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 31 Aug 2020, 09:26

Working good! stil lwould like to have the mouse middle/scroll buttom to drag on shader editor.
But still great job! thanks

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 Sep 2020, 06:33

MKXSI wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:26 Working good! stil lwould like to have the mouse middle/scroll buttom to drag on shader editor.
I didn't even know XSI could do that, lol ! I will be sure to add that in my next update :)

If there's anything else that you think is missing, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 04 Sep 2020, 09:25

xsi_fanatic wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 06:33
MKXSI wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:26 Working good! stil lwould like to have the mouse middle/scroll buttom to drag on shader editor.
I didn't even know XSI could do that, lol ! I will be sure to add that in my next update :)

Thanks,
Jason
Yep, u can drag with middle mouse on render tree and on ice tree too
btw, i installed the keymap on 2.9 and works very well, wheel on outliner works but in the other way, wheel doesnt work on the file browser neither the scroll bar... I also noticed that when selecting components, f key (fit to selection) doesnt work...
Thanks again for your amaizing work

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 Sep 2020, 11:47

MKXSI wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:25

Thanks,
Jason
btw, i installed the keymap on 2.9 and works very well, wheel on outliner works but in the other way, wheel doesnt work on the file browser neither the scroll bar... I also noticed that when selecting components, f key (fit to selection) doesnt work...
Ok, Worse case, I recommend you do a Load Factory Preferences, then try installing the keymaps again. If that doesn't work, then let me know.

Thanks again for letting me know about the file browser. I will have a look when I have a bit of time.

EDIT: I just downloaded Blender 2.9, and everything seems to be working fine. Just try to do a Load Factory Preferences then reinstall the keymaps.
The only thing that doesn't work is the File Browser. I will have a look at it. In the meantime you can just use the Up/Down arrow keys to scroll.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 Sep 2020, 12:28

Thanks,
Jason
So I'm trying out the drag function in the Shader Editor. Now in XSI, the middle mouse selects the entire hierarchy of the nodes. I'm guessing this is what you were trying to achieve ? The Middle mouse doesn't drag anything in the Render Tree except for the node heirarchy selected with the Middle Mouse. I'm still searching to see if it exists in Blender. I need to dig in.

Either way let me know if I understood you correctly.

Thanks
XF

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 04 Sep 2020, 14:39

xsi_fanatic wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 12:28

Thanks,
Jason
So I'm trying out the drag function in the Shader Editor. Now in XSI, the middle mouse selects the entire hierarchy of the nodes. I'm guessing this is what you were trying to achieve ? The Middle mouse doesn't drag anything in the Render Tree except for the node heirarchy selected with the Middle Mouse. I'm still searching to see if it exists in Blender. I need to dig in.

Either way let me know if I understood you correctly.

Thanks
XF
Sorry for the mmissunderstanding. i ment middle mouse drags backgorund