null to implicit

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Ironice

null to implicit

Post by Ironice » 13 Apr 2022, 18:23

Can i convert a null into a primitive like implicit?

I want add a null in a partition, but that is not possible.
I have an animation where I have animated null objects with constrains. I want to control them in partitions by override.

SPJ

Re: null to implicit

Post by SPJ » 13 Apr 2022, 23:17

I'm not sure what you are hoping to do with the override of the partition so I'm not sure if this will help. But you can put all the nulls into a group and access each of their point positions and draw them out within an ICE point cloud. Then you can assign each with an instance shape. I wasn't sure how instancing an implicit this would display, it seems they show as null crosses. Or you can instance a primitive mesh of course.
Attachments
ICE points from group of nulls.PNG

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 13 Apr 2022, 23:36

You'll actually want to pop the set position into the ICE tree directly to update each frame.

Ironice

Post by Ironice » 14 Apr 2022, 08:02

I hope this helps for what I mean.
This animation is finished for a while. I want modify this without construction whole hiearchy with implicit`s.
And without dublicating the partionA and move all animation keys 4000 frames forward.

The green object is constraint to the orange one.
And camera A follows the objects.

In partion B must be the constraint to the orange object off by override.
So the green one dont move because camera B ist static.

To do this with override i need primitives because nulls cant be added to partion.
The question: how can i convert a null to a implicit or primitive.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 14 Apr 2022, 13:16

Thanks for the info. I still don't fully follow, I don't see an orange object but I guess that is the hexagon? But the bottom line if I understand correctly, you need each null to end up being a unique mesh or implicit in the explorer instead.

Perhaps a solution is to:

- Use the method I mentioned above with instancing a mesh square (1 face, 4 vertices), then convert the resulting ICE cloud into a polymesh itself.
- Once you have a single object polygon mesh with all the resulting instances, split it using JP_Separate (https://xsisupport.com/2011/04/24/break ... y-polygon/) Direct link http://si-community.com/download/lb/joe ... parate.zip
- Make each mesh follow the particles in the original point cloud (https://xsisupport.com/2012/02/28/makin ... -particle/)

Sorry if this isn't getting you any closer, but I hope it helps!

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 14 Apr 2022, 13:33

I've just found in the Softimage Resources page something called "Pointcloud deInstance".

"the attached script will convert instanced objects in an ice cloud to normal objects and respect the S/R/T. It doesn't do anything fancy such as bind them back to the particles, it literally snapshots the frame you're on. word of warning - it relies on the duplicate command, and this can mean it's very slow if you've got thousands of objects. Select your point cloud and run the script. We posted on the xsi list for some help with this, but ended up making our own script. but this sounds like it could be usefull to.."

http://si-community.com/download/lb/jul ... stance.zip

This could be used on the instanced mesh on the pointcloud I set up. You can then use the "Transform Objects by Particles" to lock the individual meshes to the co-ords of the original nulls.

Ironice

Post by Ironice » 15 Apr 2022, 09:18

ice is so powerfull. i should have learned it better. i'll give it a try.
in the meantime i've been able to rearrange a few objects without too much effort. now it works.

thank you very, very much for your support.

Sorry, i see. Both is green.
in this case light green is orange. :D

SPJ

Post by SPJ » 15 Apr 2022, 15:40

Ace! I'll keep an eye on the forum so if you need to ask anything more just shout.