Syflex on clothes with many folds

Discussions about simulation, hair and cloth in SOFTIMAGE©
shushens

Syflex on clothes with many folds

Post by shushens » 20 Jun 2009, 11:00

Hello! This is my first post!

I, along with my mates, are in the middle of a production, where we are modelling, animating and rendering a famous Indian prophet. He used to wear the kind of clothings that show lots of folds, unlike the usual shirts or trousers. Here is an old photo:
IndexImage.jpg
IndexImage.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
As you can see, though there are many folds, since the clothing is not tight by nature, there are not much superfine tension or wrinkles going on in there, so it is not very difficult to model it. But I also want to animate it. The final scene will be like he is standing by a cliff and wind is blowing the end of his shawl. So, as you can see, merely modelling or Zbrushing won't be too much help in here.

So I was wondering, is Syflex good enough for this? Or is there something else I should be using? Should it be done in some other app than in XSI? Please let me know your views on this. I know nothing of Syflex and never seen any tutorial on Syflex of XSI. Seen one for Maya, but I do not believe it closely resembles its XSI counterpart.

If I get help from you guys, I will be able to make progress and post it here so that others like me can learn something from it as well.

Thank you for your attention!

- Subhamoy
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger

Helli

Re: Syflex on clothes with many folds

Post by Helli » 20 Jun 2009, 15:35

This is a really difficult problem to solve.

I would say you have to model the cloth. Syflex won't create those wrinkles and folds. After you modeld it, there is the next difficult part, setting up the simulation. Thats not easy, you would have to paint a spring and mass map and work a lot with nails to get the look you want.

Syflex CAN do the simulation, but you have to be aware that this type of simulation is really complex to set up if it should look realistic.